all posts post new thread

Off-Topic S.A.R.C. Prep

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nick1775

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello everyone,

First time poster, long time stalker (on the forums, not people). Was wondering if there's any active or prior S.A.R.C.'s out there with any tips on preparing ones self (physically, mentally and emotionally) for the courses. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

@Steve Freides I think it's Special Amphibious Recon Corpsman but I could be mistaken, as it took a number of differently worded web searches to arrive at this conclusion.

@Nick1775 If you can give us an idea of what tests you'll be required to undergo, we might be able to provide specific training advice.
@Chrisdavisjr, yes that's what SARC means!
As for the training, I'm looking at about a year of various courses the shortest being 3 weeks and the longest around 24. I'm not truly worried about any of the tests or exams. I'm a USMC vet and I'm well acquainted with military schooling and courses. Just trying to get some tips from any and everyone with regards to prepping for something so challanging.

I think what @Chrisdavisjr was referring to about tests, was what kind of physical tests you will need to perform? Are there any standards you need to meet for any particular exercise or skill? That information could help people here frame a better response for you.

I think what @Chrisdavisjr was referring to about tests, was what kind of physical tests you will need to perform? Are there any standards you need to meet for any particular exercise or skill? That information could help people here frame a better response for you.
@offwidth, the initial standards to begin training are mile and a half run in 9mins or under, 100 push ups and sit ups in 2mins (depending on age) and 500 meter swim in under 10mins. All of theses I can complete in the standards. I'm not looking for so much of a training plan... more like tips and tricks to prep. A quick example was my first marathon I trained for I did to much to soon and got burned out. A buddy told me not to worry about the speed but to just get the miles in day in and day out and not worry about the times. The miles flew by and my times became faster. This gem blew my mind and I wanted to see if the community and any other gems I could add to the treasure chest. P.S. I never did run the marathon . Two weeks before I got reassigned.

Your buddy was right about first marathon training.
I think the same perspective holds true with most things. Your S.A.R.C. included. Consistency and slow and steady progress is the key.
However there are others here far more qualified and versed on modern military training than I am.
@Al Ciampa, and @mike prevost come to mind.
You might try reaching out to them...

Your buddy was right about first marathon training.
I think the same perspective holds true with most things. Your S.A.R.C. included. Consistency and slow and steady progress is the key.
However there are others here far more qualified and versed on modern military training than I am.
@Al Ciampa, and @mike prevost come to mind.
You might try reaching out to them...
Roger that! Thank you!

@Nick1775 good advice above about the consistency and steady progress. I've advised a lot of people who wanted to improve running to train for a marathon, but then don't run it! Good training programs have enough volume and last long enough to really bump you up a couple notches, but there's something about the marathon distance with time pressure that can set you back for awhile.

If you've done that training, find a good 'maintenance' program that keeps that fitness. For me, running about 25 mi/wk, kept me in 90% of that shape, doing 12-14mi long run Sun morning (ez paced), then splitting the rest into short run with a few pickups on Tues, rest on Thurs at cruising pace. Keep all the paces comfortable, do the pickups so you're winded right after them but don't go into oxygen debt. This pattern can seem very easy after the marathon training!

Good luck!

@Nick1775 good advice above about the consistency and steady progress. I've advised a lot of people who wanted to improve running to train for a marathon, but then don't run it! Good training programs have enough volume and last long enough to really bump you up a couple notches, but there's something about the marathon distance with time pressure that can set you back for awhile.

If you've done that training, find a good 'maintenance' program that keeps that fitness. For me, running about 25 mi/wk, kept me in 90% of that shape, doing 12-14mi long run Sun morning (ez paced), then splitting the rest into short run with a few pickups on Tues, rest on Thurs at cruising pace. Keep all the paces comfortable, do the pickups so you're winded right after them but don't go into oxygen debt. This pattern can seem very easy after the marathon training!

Good luck!
Got it! Thanks for the tip. I do enjoy the easy but consistent training protocols and this seem to fall into that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom