all posts post new thread

Old Forum s and s with back issues

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

seth101

First Post
I'm sure this topic has been dealt with before but I would still appreciate some insight. I started doing the s&s program late last year and I really enjoy the concept and I was making both strength and cardio gains. However I developed some pretty serious back pains that forced me to quit the program. Once I quit the pain went away.
I would like to start doing the program again but I am nervous about starting. Is there hope for me in S&S? I am 51 years old if that makes a difference.

I am sure this isn't what you want to hear, but if S&S results in injury, you are doing something wrong. The TGU is more technically nuanced than it may seem. Even the swing is not easy to "self teach".

I'd visit with an SFG and get the movement patterns ironed out. It will probably cost you $100, but it is worth it.

Yes, there is hope.

Get your form checked by an SFG instructor.

Ease back into training.

If pain comes back, get it checked by a doctor or someone knowledgeable.

I suspect your pain is a result of bad form, which is why I suggest an SFG instructor before a doctor.

Seth, please start with a complete physical examination from your doctor.

Once you are cleared to exercise without restrictions, get some in-person instruction from someone competent. In lieu of that, using a light to moderate weight, do a few reps on video and post a link here for people to comment.

I'm 60, youngster. :)

-S-

Seth... post a video of your swings.

Baker... he didn't say "injury", but your suggestion is good.

I recently had a course with a instructor and can only second what others have said - you should see one.
There's a lot of things you could do wrong, even with the TGU.
The instructor showed us some common positions in the TGU that could actually cause back problems if not done correctly. E.g. when in the "swipe"-position, your foot, knee and hand on the ground need to form a straight line, otherwise you could load up you lower back while it's twisted. Add a load to that and over time injury/discomfort can happen.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom