all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S 2.0 - "Customize the Rate of Progression"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sean M

Level 7 Valued Member
I'd like to unpack this section (Kindle location 1135) of S&S 2.0 regarding Timeless Simple:
Customize the Rate of Progression
Is there ever a reason to advance faster or slower than specified above, four weeks per step?
...Faster, only if you are a seasoned athlete highly in tune with your body.
Is it a case of, "If you are wondering if this applies to you...it does not"?

Is it applicable to someone simply out of practice with heavy get-ups? E.g. my first 32kg getup recently, after a long time since last doing one, was a little rusty. But after a few sessions of 28,32,28,28,28, it is already quite solid again.

How might this look in practice for an applicable "seasoned athlete highly in tune with his/her body"? Adding a set weekly? Every 3rd or 4th session? Every two weeks? "It depends" ROFL ?

When I originally worked up from 16kg through 32kg I wasn't sticking to a rigid 4-week progression plan like the book now lays out (and it would not have hurt to go that slow). Adding weight systematically wasn't my sticking point, it was compressing the rest periods. I progressed by feel, adding weight to the next set approximately once every two weeks on average I'd say.

What are some signs/markers of being "highly in tune" with one's body as it relates to step-load progression?

What are some signs/markers of being "highly in tune" with one's body as it relates to step-load progression?

A= You are good with this weight for a regular practice; do most or all reps with it and consider advancing to the next
B= This weight is challenging - proceed with caution and just one or two sets with it
  • Breathing
    • A: Calm diaphragmatic breathing, "behind the shield" but well-controlled, during and after the rep
    • B: Shallow, chest breathing, involuntarily holding breath; gasping breaths afterwards
  • Movement
    • A: Controlled, even tension
    • B: Any jerkiness, rushing, struggling to stabilize, grinding through a sticking point
  • Recovery (later that day and the day after)
    • A: Feeling fresh and energized
    • B: Feeling sore, worn down, less strong the next day

A= You are good with this weight for a regular practice; do most or all reps with it and consider advancing to the next
B= This weight is challenging - proceed with caution and just one or two sets with it
  • Breathing
    • A: Calm diaphragmatic breathing, "behind the shield" but well-controlled, during and after the rep
    • B: Shallow, chest breathing, involuntarily holding breath; gasping breaths afterwards
  • Movement
    • B: Any jerkiness, rushing, struggling to stabilize, grinding through a sticking point
Anna this is gold, thanks!!

• Breathing
  • Movement
This is great, perfect.

I like the progression laid out in S&S (both the original and revision - the revision has a "schedule" while the original just had a pattern), it worked great for me before. I tried the load-waving option from the article linked above, which did help for the time test aspect, but for working up more loads I think the step-loading pattern from the revision is best.

So far for me, only the first session with a set of 32kg get-ups had only one warning sign - struggling to stabilize (on "the lunge" both up and down) - I'm at "A" for the other aspects with that weight especially with a few more sessions as I get the muscle memory back.

Bookmarking this.. great stuff
  • Breathing
  • Movement

Another thing to consider..

Before going up in weight or shaving time off rest periods, check if you have done the same session with the same amount of relative ease at least thrice so you know you can now confidently progress..

Your aim is to dominate and not scrape by the session

One thing to add here - you mentioned that you are "rusty" because you haven't practiced the TGU in a while. Anecdotal evidence is that "lost strength" returns quickly and you will get to you "lost" level of strength sooner than if you had to get to that level for the first time. I myself have experienced this. "Lost strength" is basically the "I haven't done this lift in a while and am trying to get back into it."

One thing to add here - you mentioned that you are "rusty" because you haven't practiced the TGU in a while. Anecdotal evidence is that "lost strength" returns quickly and you will get to you "lost" level of strength sooner than if you had to get to that level for the first time. I myself have experienced this. "Lost strength" is basically the "I haven't done this lift in a while and am trying to get back into it."
That’s kind of what I’m getting at with this question. I would say one new heavier set a session is maybe too fast...but 4 weeks at a time may be overkill (?) for just regaining the Timeless Simple standard.

Yeah, as far as getting back to somewhere you've been before, I can relate as I've had a dose of the "working back up" after surgery here recently...

You'll know. Just start conservatively and ride the wave back up at whatever speed it goes. To use another analogy that my training partner @WxHerk came up with the other day, you're digging the soft dirt as you start... you'll know when you hit the hard dirt and need to slow down.

Yeah, as far as getting back to somewhere you've been before, I can relate as I've had a dose of the "working back up" after surgery here recently...

You'll know. Just start conservatively and ride the wave back up at whatever speed it goes. To use another analogy that my training partner @WxHerk came up with the other day, you're digging the soft dirt as you start... you'll know when you hit the hard dirt and need to slow down.
More gold (pun intended)!

I haven't purchased the revised version of S&S 2.0. Is it worth it because right now I am trying to work my way up to Simple but having trouble. I like the idea of the 4 week progression.

@Colby Pitre Definitely worth it. Timed Simple is the challenge; Timeless Simple (all reps at given weight, but not chasing the clock) is now the standard.
Maybe I misread it, but I thought that the timed test for simple is still the standard. "Timeless" simple is just a milestone where the S&S program can move to more advanced practice to hit timed standard. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Some nice documented analysis there @Anna C !

I feel you @Sean M. I re-started S&S this week too. I haven't done 32 get ups for a long time, only light with a lot of variety. 3 sessions in and not touched it yet, 24 is nice though! And as a way of intro just 50 swings with the 32.
I did simple, I dunno 3 or 4 years ago. My get ups were never at the point where I truly owned them, being honest. So for a while I'm focusing less on swings, in terms of volume and getting the 32 easy.
Dunno if that's an endorsed strategy or in the revised edition, though!

Well purchased 2.0 and just the little bit I read about timeless vs timed as well as the progression schedule was worth the price of admission.

Maybe I misread it, but I thought that the timed test for simple is still the standard. "Timeless" simple is just a milestone where the S&S program can move to more advanced practice to hit timed standard. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
My understanding of it was that timeless is the standard and to keep progressing from there. It almost seemed to me what I read (please correct me if I am wrong) to get to timeless then keep progressing weight. Then when you feel up to it regress to previous weight and try for Timed.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom