all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S 2.0 out now on kindle

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Dude, I love convoluted spreadsheets. The more convoluted the better. It actually sounds like a good idea.

Mike, you said that you enjoyed convoluted spreadsheets, so you might enjoy this. I haven't read the new and improved S&S, but the attached spreadsheet might be useful for getting to the timed standard if you've achieved the timeless standard. I put this together a few months ago because I achieved the timeless standard (without knowing about it) of 100 swings with a 32 kger and wanted to gradually get down to the timed standard. Each workout reduces the amount of time spent on swings by five seconds. A couple of other points:
  • the green cells indicate where the time drops relative to the previous session.
  • I give myself 30 seconds to get ready before I start swinging.
  • I reviewed this a few times for errors and there probably are some, but it should be relevantly consistent. If you stick to it you should eventually get to the timed standard.
  • To focus on the correct session of swings I use a high-tech system of putting paper on either side to block out the other sessions.

Attachments

• Kettlebell swing times for SF forum.pdf
    36.1 KB · Views: 94
Hey all!

Since I couldn't find anything about this, I figured maybe someone here has an idea.

I just finished the S&S 2.0 book yesterday. Awesome update, love the "timeless simple" part.

I didn't follow S&S lately but kept using swings, TGUs etc. in my workouts. Doing a Humane Burpee variation or some TGUs and other stuff daily, mixed with bodyweight training. I always considered all of these park bench workouts like Dan John describes them.

The updated S&S sounds great, so I'd like to get that started again instead of the mixed workouts. I'm aiming for basic/general fitness, so I'd be totally fine with getting to the timeless simple goal at some point and see where I can go from there.

One thing I was wondering about: The book says to do one-hand swings and an occasional two-hand swing session every other day with the same weight. I'm quite confident with my two-hand swing technique since I kept doing them again and again for over two years, checking form, going back to hinging etc. But I only did two-hand swings with a 24kg. I don't think I could do one-hand swings with a 24kg on 10/10, especially with my current grip strength. On the other hand, 16kg two-hand swings every other session sound way too light to me.

Either I misread or overlooked some info about starting weights for the swings. Should I do 16kg one-hand swings and power through the two-hand swings with that, too? I can imagine doing that and start progressing upwards when I feel comfortable with the one-hand swings. Still wondering, though. Maybe someone can give some guidance here :)

I am not one of the gurus here by any means, but one thing I have figured out: There is a reason for every single sentence Pavel puts into his books. So, my experience is to just do exactly what Pavel says to do and keep sifting through the book until I understand.

I only did two-hand swings with a 24kg. I don't think I could do one-hand swings with a 24kg on 10/10, especially with my current grip strength. On the other hand, 16kg two-hand swings every other session sound way too light to me.

Start integrating 1-hand swings with a 24 kg into your sessions and you'll get used to it. It's not written in stone that you must use the same weight always. Look at around page 63-64 of the book and see how heavier weights are worked into things.

The problem isn't that two-handed swings with 16 kg are too light for you, it's that two-handed swings with 24 kg aren't heavy enough.

-S-

Hey all!
Either I misread or overlooked some info about starting weights for the swings. Should I do 16kg one-hand swings and power through the two-hand swings with that, too? I can imagine doing that and start progressing upwards when I feel comfortable with the one-hand swings. Still wondering, though. Maybe someone can give some guidance here :)

Hey @Markus Siering , welcome!
16 kg is indicated as a starting weight for average strong males, for both exercises and both swing variations. The light 2H swings are a form of active recovery and specialized variety. Remember, you are supposed to train near daily and strong folks like @Pavel Macek highlight the importance of frequent lighter days (he is even quoted with that in S&S 2.0).
If you have some experience and recover well, you might bump up a set every 2 or 3 weeks, but you might miss out on the light undertraining phase of the step cycle (re-read that steady state cycle quote from Chris Sommers). S&S is a GPP program and intended to take some time. Pavel has mentioned a couple of times (for example in Easy Strength) that GPP should be build with patience. The broader and stronger the foundation, the more it can handle later on.

Start integrating 1-hand swings with a 24 kg into your sessions and you'll get used to it.

Oh god, why didn't I get that idea? ROFL of course, that makes so much sense! Sometimes you just don't see an obvious answer…

The problem isn't that two-handed swings with 16 kg are too light for you, it's that two-handed swings with 24 kg aren't heavy enough.

Didn't look at it that way, interesting. I'll try to progress from 10 two-hand sets to one-hand sets first and then order the next size.

16 kg is indicated as a starting weight for average strong males, for both exercises and both swing variations. The light 2H swings are a form of active recovery and specialized variety. Remember, you are supposed to train near daily and strong folks like @Pavel Macek highlight the importance of frequent lighter days (he is even quoted with that in S&S 2.0).
If you have some experience and recover well, you might bump up a set every 2 or 3 weeks, but you might miss out on the light undertraining phase of the step cycle (re-read that steady state cycle quote from Chris Sommers). S&S is a GPP program and intended to take some time. Pavel has mentioned a couple of times (for example in Easy Strength) that GPP should be build with patience. The broader and stronger the foundation, the more it can handle later on.

Thanks for the advice! Sounds good, I'm absolutely aware and okay with the long term approach.

I think I'll give the 24kg approach a shot first. If it does not work or is too taxing, I'll try 16kg one-hand swings and an occasional two-hand 16kg session. Whatever feels better across some weeks will do the trick, I guess. I'm not in a hurry : )

Thanks so much for the answers, @Bauer and @Steve Freides

Sorry but I don't. I don't have a Kindle and generally don't read ebooks.

-S-

Is the book still available in amazon kindle?

for me, It says “This title is not currently available for purchase”.

Is the book still available in amazon kindle? for me, It says “This title is not currently available for purchase”.

Hello Nasser,
Which country are you in? It may be that your country restricts the availability of certain titles, which, unfortunately, is out of StrongFirst's control.

Hello Martine, i am from Saudi Arabia. And it seems that it is restricted in Saudi
That problem can be overcome.
For example, the new edition of The Gulag Archipelago with a foreward by Jordan Peterson is not available on Kindle in the United States. I changed my address in Amazon to 10 Downing Street, London, UK and presto! I downloaded the book.

Mike, you said that you enjoyed convoluted spreadsheets, so you might enjoy this. I haven't read the new and improved S&S, but the attached spreadsheet might be useful for getting to the timed standard if you've achieved the timeless standard. I put this together a few months ago because I achieved the timeless standard (without knowing about it) of 100 swings with a 32 kger and wanted to gradually get down to the timed standard. Each workout reduces the amount of time spent on swings by five seconds. A couple of other points:
  • the green cells indicate where the time drops relative to the previous session.
  • I give myself 30 seconds to get ready before I start swinging.
  • I reviewed this a few times for errors and there probably are some, but it should be relevantly consistent. If you stick to it you should eventually get to the timed standard.
  • To focus on the correct session of swings I use a high-tech system of putting paper on either side to block out the other sessions.
I suddenly became dyslexic when reading this, a little explanation and sample sessions would be greatly appreciated

I loved the program. I could have used less nutrition non-advice and a lot more about what Pavel is working on, but the amount of knowledge dropped in that hour was amazing.

The podcast left me wanting more. Most authors will get on as many podcasts as possible after a book is out. Pavel has two publications in the last four months and as far as I know this was the only podcast he has done.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom