all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S 2.0 out now on kindle

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I trained strength for almost 20 years, S&s is the only program which I did consequently and get the best results. Pavel is a genius!

I'm excited to read the revised edition, but I'm a bit disappointed that I have to repurchase the Kindle version when the revisions could have been released as an update to the original Kindle purchase. One of the draws of digital content purchases is the ease of updating. My other digital books on training such as the Tactical Barbell series get regular updates and I'm not expected to purchase the book again.

I'm excited to read the revised edition, but I'm a bit disappointed that I have to repurchase the Kindle version when the revisions could have been released as an update to the original Kindle purchase. One of the draws of digital content purchases is the ease of updating. My other digital books on training such as the Tactical Barbell series get regular updates and I'm not expected to purchase the book again.

If it makes you feel any better, the revisions are significant, it's not just a few tweaks here and there.

Like others have mentioned, there have been significant changes and additions. But there was also some content that was removed. Non-stop swing testing comes to mind. My impression was many of the revisions was due to actual feedback and practice of the program. Not that there wasn't any value in this practice, but I think most practitioners didn't have the resolve to do so. My point is that there is value to having both versions. If they would have updated your kindle version like you wanted, you would only have version 2.0. JMO

I run the Kindle product team at Amazon and I'm a StrongFirst Team Leader. So I guess I sit at the intersection of this one :) I'm also a big supporter of authors (and all content creators) who strive to make a living at their craft. So I'm not speaking for either Amazon or for StrongFirst when I say that $9.95 is an unbelievable price for 6 years of improvements to an amazing program like S&S!

Would second everything said here. I have the original and the reviewed 2.0 on kindle but I’ve starting replacing my kindle copies with hard copies. This will be an early Xmas present. Amazing book.

I bought the old version of S&S on kindle. Bought the updated on kindle as well. After a read through I ordered the hard copy and recived it few days ago. Its my first ever hard copy book on training, its that good! I have bought and read 30-50 kindle training books over the Years and this is the only one I wanted in my book shelf :)

I suddenly became dyslexic when reading this, a little explanation and sample sessions would be greatly appreciated

Hi Mark, sorry for the delay but I just saw this. I am working on S&S, and for the swings I got to the 32 kg timeless standard. I'd like to get to the timed standard, so I put together this admittedly and probably unnecessarily complicated spreadsheet. Its purpose is to to get me to the timed standard by reducing the amount of time I do swings by five seconds for each session. The sample sessions can be found on the attached spreadsheet. I start at the :30 mark, and if you look at the bottom of each session you'll see that the time needed is reduced by 5 seconds. I hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• Kettlebell swing times for SF forum (1).pdf
    36.1 KB · Views: 10
Hi Mark, sorry for the delay but I just saw this. I am working on S&S, and for the swings I got to the 32 kg timeless standard. I'd like to get to the timed standard, so I put together this admittedly and probably unnecessarily complicated spreadsheet. Its purpose is to to get me to the timed standard by reducing the amount of time I do swings by five seconds for each session. The sample sessions can be found on the attached spreadsheet. I start at the :30 mark, and if you look at the bottom of each session you'll see that the time needed is reduced by 5 seconds. I hope this makes sense.

Have you tried to just go by feel on the test days instead of formalising it? I did what you outlined when I reached Simple, it was a forced progression instead of a cumulative achivement.

Tried getting the hang of it but still confusing for me..

I'll most likely default to just letting my sessions decrease duration organically then test the timed simple from time to time

I don't own S&S 2.0 but, from what I gathered here, straw breathing disappeared from the new version. What do you think is the reason? Do you think it's because of mouth breathing and its supposed detrimental effects. Would you consider it a valid argument you can have similar if not the same benefits with some hypercapnic nose-breathing exercises (think: Oxygen Advantage) and therefore straw breathing is unnecessary?

@Pasibrzuch
I do not know why the straw breathing disappeared, but its validity did not. The goal is to make people feel diaphragmatic breathing, by forcing them to have slow and deep breathing. It implies mouth breathing, yes, but it is a drill, not an exercise you would practice every day.
Other options are crocodile breathing, or also slow deep breathing, lying on the floor, with a book on your stomach.

I don't own S&S 2.0 but, from what I gathered here, straw breathing disappeared from the new version. What do you think is the reason?

I have asked myself the same question. Two hypotheses:
H1) Pavel regarded it as a distraction from S&S' simplicity. Like you say, maybe because of mouth-breathing.
H2) Pavel is working on a book featuring highlights from Second Wind and plans to include Straw Breathing in there.

Both hypotheses might be proven wrong. I will of course not give up hope on the second hypothesis :)

I don't own S&S 2.0 but, from what I gathered here, straw breathing disappeared from the new version. What do you think is the reason? Do you think it's because of mouth breathing and its supposed detrimental effects. Would you consider it a valid argument you can have similar if not the same benefits with some hypercapnic nose-breathing exercises (think: Oxygen Advantage) and therefore straw breathing is unnecessary?

I don't know for sure, but I think it was removed just because hardly anyone followed the advice. I can tell you that it's still a recommended breathing practice. We did it as the Second Wind seminar last month. But yes, you can get the same benefits from other hypercapnic breathing practices. I think straw breathing is just a good one for beginners to hypercapnic breathing because it's self-teaching and self-correcting.

Straw breathing was a tool to learn to breathe calmly, as an intermediate step to the reduced breathing practice in S&S. The reduced breathing, for instance 5 breathes between sets, is still in the book.

Wondering if they will release the updated version on audible as well.. 1.0 is what I listen to almost daily

Does anyone have experience of their children starting on S&S ? I've ordered the paper back version for my son (and me) who is 11. He plays a few sports including rugby and has started to take an interest in strength training. He picks up my kettlebells but mostly does bodyweight stuff. Having trodden the S&S path myself I cant think of a better place for him to start.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom