all posts post new thread

S&S - 2018 goal 40kg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
8/6/18

I got de-railed this past weekend. Boating, get togethers, a party, you know...working on my social health!

The extra rest did me some good because I felt great today.

36kg 1H Swings 10 x 10 in 6:06. I set the timer but did not look at it until the end. That was fast, but didn't feel fast. I think the strength aerobics is working for my cardio.

1 min rest.

36kg TGU x 10. These I did not time. It's been almost a week since I've done any TGU's so I did not want to push it to fast.

a1) hand release pushups x 22, 20, 17 with a :20 hold on last rep
a2) TRX W, T, Y, Curls x 15, 15, 15, 25+15 -- added an extra set to the TRX curls

KTE 10, 10, 10

seated calf raise 50lbs 5min of continuous work.

8/8/18

I am really sore from yesterdays workout! Pretty much everywhere. I still went in today because I will be out of town this weekend so I want to load up on the workouts so I can relax while out of town.

40kg TGU x 10

Hip Belt Squat
180 x 12
270 x 12
360 x 12
410 x 10

One arm DB row 70 x 10, 80 x 10, 90 x 10 -- I've been pressing a lot with strength aerobics so I switched out my Incline DB press for rows.

Fat bar farmer carry's 100lbs/hand x 1:22, rest 3 mins and then :50

I'm feeling stuck with my TGU's. I can't seem to get the 40's to feel any lighter and I can't seem to do them any faster. I'm not sure if I should push on to heavier weights, I was working with the 44 for a while but I haven't used that in a while. Or is it better to go lighter and practice more time under tension. I'm not sure yet...hopefully the answer will come to me or someone here can tell me what to do! . I feel like everything else is progressing nicely.

I'm feeling stuck with my TGU's. I can't seem to get the 40's to feel any lighter and I can't seem to do them any faster. I'm not sure if I should push on to heavier weights, I was working with the 44 for a while but I haven't used that in a while. Or is it better to go lighter and practice more time under tension. I'm not sure yet...hopefully the answer will come to me or someone here can tell me what to do! . I feel like everything else is progressing nicely.

I'm no trainer... but I've started doing a set with the 48 each session, and the best thing about the 48 is how easy the 40 feels afterwards. With the heavier bell, you get more time under tension anyway, because you have to go slower. The 48 about crushed me yesterday, but afterwards blasting through 3 more sets with the 40 was a breeze. I suspect there might be some kind of residual tension effect.

Don't know where your weak point is, but I've also found that regular arm bars have done very good things for my TGU.

I'm feeling stuck with my TGU's. I can't seem to get the 40's to feel any lighter and I can't seem to do them any faster. I'm not sure if I should push on to heavier weights, I was working with the 44 for a while but I haven't used that in a while. Or is it better to go lighter and practice more time under tension. I'm not sure yet...hopefully the answer will come to me or someone here can tell me what to do! . I feel like everything else is progressing nicely
I shouldn’t be doing this because I’m no trainer but I have read some people do something called “build a mountain” with the get-ups.

Maybe do the the floor press with the 48 for a few weeks and finish off the rest of the getup with the 40...

Then following weeks each stage go a little further with the 48..... to the elbow then back down, then to the tall sit then back down, then to the tripod then back down then to the lunge position then back down then stand up and then you are done.... make sense?

Might take you a few weeks/ months but you will be building strength along the way.

Just a thought but again I want to remind you I’m no expert and you should take my words as just an opinion.... a “common sense” way to attack your situation you got going on right now

Great advice @WhatWouldHulkDo and @Strong Rick. I put it to use today.

8/9/18

TGU's
R- 32, 40, 48, 40, 48 to tall sit
L- 32, 40, 48, 40, 48 to tall sit
I have only done the 48 once before and that was on the right side only, so this counts as a PR! BUT, the left side was extremely ugly. Right was pretty good. That's why on the last set I just went to the tall sit.

36kg + 5lbs 1H Swings EMOM 10 x 10

10 min assault bike for cool down.

Even though this was a PR day for me, it's the least excited I've ever been about a PR. The 48 is big and scary and I have a lot of work to do.

I have only done the 48 once before and that was on the right side only, so this counts as a PR!
well done Steve!

quick question... you might have covered this before so im sorry if i wasnt paying attention and dont remember.

do you do the get-ups before the swings?
I'm just curious... I'm not going to say "you are not a purest" if you did... just curious.

well done Steve!

quick question... you might have covered this before so im sorry if i wasnt paying attention and dont remember.

do you do the get-ups before the swings?
I'm just curious... I'm not going to say "you are not a purest" if you did... just curious.

I mix it up. I normally do swings first but on this particular day since I was knew I was going try the 48 I did them first while fresh. When testing I always do it swings first.

Returned from a weekend of camping with a stiff/sore back. These old bones don't handle tent sleeping like they used to.

8/13/18

36kg 1H swings 10 x 10 in 6:44

36kg TGU x 10

a1) Hand release push ups x 23, 20, 18
a2) TRX W, T, Y, Curls x 16, 16, 16, 25/10

Getting the rust off...felt good.

8/14/18

Strength Aerobics with 24kg. My goal today was to see how long I could maintain 4 rounds per minute.

I made it 40 rounds in 10 minutes.

8/15/18

Took today off. Slept horribly last night and feeling the effects of that today. Went for a nice leisurely walk instead of training. I find myself enjoying long walks and the quiet of it.

8/16/18

TGU
R-40, 44, 40, 44, 40
L-40, 44, 40, 44, 40

Hip Belt Squat 180 x 12, 270 x 12, 360 x 12, 410 x 10 back off set to 180 x 20

DB one arm row 70 x 10, 80 x 10, 90 x 10

TGU's were good today except sharp forearm pain on the left. I've always had discomfort on the left forearm where the bell rests. It's always more intense anytime I go over 40kg but It's never stopped me. Today was a different story...It felt like my forearm was going to snap in half. I even put on an old school wristband to see if that would help and it didn't. I'm thinking about trying a kettleguard, anyone have experience with those?

I have a set of these, that I use when I go back to the 32 kg, until I get used to it again. My set came with a second set of inserts. When I did the Get Up program, they helped me get used to the 28 kg kettlebell, and when I clean & press the 32 kg when following the S&T program, they help the first session or two.

I'm thinking about trying a kettleguard, anyone have experience with those?

I have a set of these, that I use when I go back to the 32 kg, until I get used to it again. My set came with a second set of inserts. When I did the Get Up program, they helped me get used to the 28 kg kettlebell, and when I clean & press the 32 kg when following the S&T program, they help the first session or two.

Ok, I think I am going to order some. thanks!

8/19/18 -- Still not wanting to test my forearm yet. I bumped it odd in the middle of the night and it woke me up because of the pain. Not as intense as it was with TGU's the other day...but still there.

40kg 1H Swings 10 x 10 EMOM

40lbs/hand RFESS with a slow eccentric 2 x 10

Standing shoulder press with slow eccentric 95lbs 3 x 10

barbell curl slow eccentric 95lbs 3 x 8

80lbs sandbag carry for 10mins without setting it down

Finished with calf raises

After swings I had no idea what to do so it became a hypertrophy day. Maybe this will be my approach the next couple of weeks. Hit my swings and then follow it up with hypertrophy...not really sure yet.

8/20/18

rough day today. Had every intention of training, but all day I've been exhausted and felt like I was run over by a truck. I think yesterdays workout did me in. It was a garage workout and the humidity was killer. Hydrate and rest and hopefully back at it tomorrow.

8/21/18
The rough patch continues.

During the first set of goblet squats in the warmup I felt a sharp, stabbing pain in the middle back, right along the spine. I foam rolled it and continued anyways.

40kg 1H Swings 10 x 10 EMOM. Besides the pain in the back these went well and were much easier than last time.

Got the 32kg ready to try out some TGU's and test the forearm. Laid on the ground and the pressure on the spot in my back was too much to handle, so I stopped. Feels like a pulled muscle. UGH.

What I am learning from all of this:
1) I need to warmup before my warmup. Maybe a light 5 min row or jog to increase my body temp before I jump right into the S&S warmup.
2) I will start logging my warmups on here to hold myself accountable to them.
3) I need to drink more water. I think dehydration may have played a role in this.

That's all for now.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom