all posts post new thread

S&S - 2018 goal 40kg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'm back! I took some active rest since I last posted. Leisurely bike rides, some ab workouts, and a little swimming. My body is feeling better so I got back into S&S today to test it.

8/27/18

Warmup:
500m Row
Prying GSQ 36kg x 5, 5
Mace swing around body 10lbs 2x5/side

36kg 1H swings 10 x 10

36kg TGU x 10

a1) HAnd release pushups x 25, 18, 16
a2) TRX W, T, Y, curls x 16, 16, 16, 25/8 slow negative

Body felt mostly good. Still a little uncomfortable on the TGU's where the bell rests. I made sure my wrist was as neutral as possible. I'm still feeling nervous about getting back to the bigger bells. I'll see how it plays out. I'm just happy to be back.

I'd like to do more swimming. I am awful at it. It's something I've always wanted to improve upon. I may try and work in one day a week of it.

9/2/18

Warmup
Crawl 1 min
Naked getup L/R
Crawl 1 min
16kg getup L/R
Crawl 1 min

75lbs 1H swings 10 x 10
&5lbs TGU x 10

Trained at home today. Felt good, wasn't rushed for time like usual so I went slow and made sure e verything was crisp. Felt good.

I've been thinking about my training. I may start two days of strength training (2 exercises a day via Dan John), keep two days of S&S, and then have a functional day which would be sled pushes, pulls, sprints, carrys, etc...

Something like this:

M: Front Squat and Bench Press
T: S&S
W: DL and OHP
Th: Functional day
Fri: S&S
Sat and Sun can be open for off days or variety or maybe another S&S session. Thoughts?

9/4/18 Holiday weekend over, time to get back to work.

Warmup
Prying GSQ 40kg x 5
Crawling
Naked TGU 1 per side
Monster walks with heavy band
x2

40kg 1H swings 10 x 10

75lbs TGU x 10

I am not sure what the deal is with my TGU's lately. I started with 40kg and got halfway through the first rep and stopped. I am lacking confidence in the movement for some reason. I dropped to 75lbs and things felt fine.

Sat and Sun can be open for off days or variety or maybe another S&S session. Thoughts?
looks nice...
so are you planning your "functional days" to be more like endurance days or are you looking for something else out of them?

I'm doing something similar, with a template taken from Tactical Barbell. I think the addition of some max strength work is a good thing. But, what I've noticed is that my recovery is all over the place, and it really seems to show up in the S&S sessions in particular. Some weeks I feel like the bell moves on its own. Some weeks (this one, for example) it feels like the bell is kicking my arse. I haven't identified a rhyme or reason for it.

So, I guess I'd just say, be prepared to see a lot of variation in how good the S&S sessions feel, and don't fight against that too hard.

9/15/18 -- @Strong Rick today was functional day, here's what I did:

Warmup:
500m Row
5 mins mobility

a) Prowler push down and back(D&B) which is about 20 yards total.
90lbs, 180lbs, 270lbs, 180lbs, 90lbs

b) Seated sled pull with rope 180lbs x 6 rounds
(each round the full length of the rope)

c) Framer carry 120lbs per hand D&B x 2 with a rest and each turn around

d) Went through the machines in the gym, which is not many at my gym and got a burn on each one. One set of 30 on each. LAt pull down, leg curl, leg extension, bicep curl, tricep pushdown.

I guess by functional day what I mean is push, pull and carry stuff around, lol.

Last edited:
I'm doing something similar, with a template taken from Tactical Barbell. I think the addition of some max strength work is a good thing. But, what I've noticed is that my recovery is all over the place, and it really seems to show up in the S&S sessions in particular. Some weeks I feel like the bell moves on its own. Some weeks (this one, for example) it feels like the bell is kicking my arse. I haven't identified a rhyme or reason for it.

So, I guess I'd just say, be prepared to see a lot of variation in how good the S&S sessions feel, and don't fight against that too hard.

Thanks for the heads up on that, that was my concern when writing this 'new program' up. I'm looking forward to the variety of it, let's see how it goes!

Here is what I settled on.

Mon: Front Squat and Bench press with some TRX for posture
Tue: S&S
Wed: Functional or hypertrophy or both like my 9/5/18 workout.
Th: S&S
Fri: DL** and OHP. Swimming. The swimming is more for skill building than it is exercise at this point.

**DL - I haven't deadlifted in years due to it aggravating a long-standing back condition. I'd like to get back to it. After all the swings and prying goblet squats I want to see how it goes. It used to be my favorite exercise and I miss it. I am going to start very light and ease back in. If it is hurting my back I will switch DL to power cleans which do not irritate my back.

There it is...my plan

9/6/18 Still battling a sinus thing and not great sleep last night. Still got after it....

WU
Monster band walks in all directions
prying gsq 32, 36, 40 x 5
16kg halos

40kg 1H swings 10 x 10

40kg TGU x 10

Finally back to the 40kg! Felt mostly good and solid. Last 2 reps on left side I felt my forearm twinge a bit. I've been trying all different grip positions on that left arm to see which is the most comfortable. Right now I think it may be right in the middle of the handle. On my right side the best spot is towards the pinky for sure. No problems on the right side.

9/7/18 -- Swimming. 30mins of practice

9/8/18

WU
32kg GSQ x 5
Monster band walks
32kg swings x 10
3 rounds

a) DL 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 5 -- easing into these. Tomorrow will be the true test. My typical pattern when I used to DL was a numb leg for a day or two after. If I feel anything even remotely close to that tomorrow I will not continue with DL's. (First do no harm, right?)

b1) OHP 95 x 5, 115 x 5, 5, 5
b2) Pullups x 5,4,3,2,1

Some abs.

Felt good to do some barbell work again. I worked out in the garage and I don't have a rack so all OHP sets started from the ground.

Fall is in the air. Had the garage open, Nice cool breeze, smell of a fire in the air from the neighbors. As I finished a neighbor brought over some apple cider donuts fresh out of the oven from toms farm...so delicious. All in all a perfect day!

9/10/18

WU
Monster band walks
Mobility stuff
x2

a1) Front Squat
bar x 10
135 x 5
165 x 5
155 x 5, 5

b1) Bench Press
bar x 10
135 x 5
155 x 5, 5

b2) TRX
face pull x 16
W's x 16
T's x 16
Y's x 16
Curls, slow x 20

It's been so long since I've used a barbell for these movements I was just feeling it out today. I overshot on my FS...165 was a little too heavy for me to keep good form right now. 155 on BP was good, I only did two sets on that because I don;t want to be sore for my S&S session tomorrow.

9/12/18

WU
500m row
mobility

a) prowler push D&B
90, 180, 270, 180, 90

b) seated sled pull with rope
225lbs x 6 rounds

c) Farmers carry 120lbs/hand D&B x 2 with stops at each end

Feeling a little beat up today. My legs are super fatigued. I may take tomorrow off or some sort of active rest. This workout was much harder today than it was last week.

9/14/18

Swim 30 minutes

a) Power clean
135 x 1, 1, 1
155 x 1, 1, 1
185 x 1, 1, 1

b1) pull ups

b2) OHP
120x 5, 5, 5

C) Abwheel x 10

I'm back! I took some active rest since I last posted. Leisurely bike rides, some ab workouts, and a little swimming. My body is feeling better so I got back into S&S today to test it.

8/27/18

Warmup:
500m Row
Prying GSQ 36kg x 5, 5
Mace swing around body 10lbs 2x5/side

36kg 1H swings 10 x 10

36kg TGU x 10

a1) HAnd release pushups x 25, 18, 16
a2) TRX W, T, Y, curls x 16, 16, 16, 25/8 slow negative

Body felt mostly good. Still a little uncomfortable on the TGU's where the bell rests. I made sure my wrist was as neutral as possible. I'm still feeling nervous about getting back to the bigger bells. I'll see how it plays out. I'm just happy to be back.

I'd like to do more swimming. I am awful at it. It's something I've always wanted to improve upon. I may try and work in one day a week of it.

Thats an awesome session right there. Rowing and complimentary accessories. Good job!

9/20/18

Warmup
32kg GSg x 5, 5
10lbs mace swing around body 2x5/side

36kg 1H swings 10 x 10
36kg TGU's x 10
22 minutes total.

Took a run through the machines, 30 reps each movement.
Lat pulldown, leg curl, leg extension, tricep pushdown, curls, seated row.

It's so strange my swings are feeling great and my TGU's not so much. It's always been the other way around. I'm feeling my TGU's do best when trained more frequently. on my non S&S days I will add in some light TGU's during the warm-up and see if that helps since my frequency of S&S is low these days.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom