all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S 24 to 32

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Pnigro, a bell with a thicker and "not so tall" handle is better suited for S&S but you can make do with a competition bell.

I'm currently doing swings and get ups with a 24kg bell and feel like i'm close to buying a 32.  any views on weather I should buy a competition type bell or stick with the cast iron variety i own for the 16 and 24?

Thanks everyone.

All my kettlebells are competition, but the 32kg is of a different brand that makes them with a very thin handle.

I will continue working with this one for a couple of months more. If it still bothers me after that I'll go for an iron cast bell.

There’s a ROP support thread around here, and maybe this one would be a great ’24 to 32’ support thread, because it’s a big jump.  I started adding the 32kg to my swings, and my callouses sort of made themselves known.  Thanks to Pavel for his tips on battling them, which I’m starting to do.  I just added a 32 kg half-getup, and it’s surprisingly doable.  I’m at the point where every five sessions I try to add something to my workout, switching between the swing and getup.  I added the 32 kg one-armed swing recently, now the HGU with the 32 kg.  In five more sessions I’ll try to add another twenty swings with the 32 kg; then five sessions after that I’ll try to do a full get-up with the large bell.  We’ll see.  It's not perfect; sometimes I feel like I need more time on one or the other lift.  But what a program; I really feel great.  Thanks to Pavel and everybody for being so helpful on this forum.

Yeah, I absolutely love the feeling of doing get ups with the 32kg.

I think the simple goal is very appropriate. Every once in a while I try to do snatches with the 16kg and they feel heavy to me. Presses with the 24kg are also incredibly hard, can't even do a single rep with my left arm.

I imagine that after achieving the simple goal these things will no longer feel that way.

Was reading this thread before realising that I started it a year ago! And, yup, still plodding along with the 32! It seems to take as long as it takes! I've had some breaks though, injury, illness and Dan John's 10,000 swings to kick start the new year but generally it has been my mainstay throughout the year. Just returned to the uk from a holiday over the pond in florida. Coping with the heat and Disney theme parks was an endurance event in itself so I kicked back with some mobility in the evenings and now and then some one arm push up practice and to my delighted surprise achieved my first ever to the deck full one arm, each arm too. Not perfect by any means but this comes with a little practice on park benches walking my dog, very, very light gtg. wouldn't even call it gtg to be honest, by the book. I tried a full range a while back just to see and really could not get anywhere near it. I'm in no doubt it is down to some recent more studied and consistent practice with that 32! Time to impress fellow dog walkers!!

Alistair, did you achieve the simple goal of swings in 5 minutes and getups in 10 minutes?

If yes, how long did it take you?

No, not yet. For time they come in about 7 to 7.30 minutes and I do 6 of 10 get ups with the 32 at the moment, others with a 24. When I was building the swing numbers up I could do all 10 and I do 10 from time to time but I don't own the 10 to do them repeatedly. I really take my time now, having been guilty of rushing things too much before, so I like them to feel easy.. Ie do 10 on a lighter swing day, if I'm up for it and sometimes I'm not. I think - saying it with bated breath - since I've been more focused on the breathing I've changed my mindset rather than slogging it out.  the time frame is probably on the long side, from other threads I've read, in reaching the standards but equally from understanding the processes now a bit better it is more of a journey than a destination. I'm still enjoying the ride, not in a hurry, mañana, mañana, you know. Besides I'm 51 and could fall apart anytime!

I noticed that transitioning from 34 to 32 kgs for the TGU was a great feeling. As the 24 gets "easy", you start to slack on the form and lose focus as you speed up. With a heavier bell, you have to tighten it right back up or there's no way you can stabilize it. I loved how that felt as it was a great reminder to maintain good form!

I was wondering if anybody did half-getups to help transition from the 24 to the 32 in S&S. If so, did you strive to do a complete getup with the 32 first?  Or did you add more HGUs instead?  I don't know if I'm being clear so I'll explain.  For the getups I'm doing a complete one with a 24, then a half with the 32.  I then to three more full getups with the 24.  I feel like I own this, and I'm wondering whether to try to strive for my second getup (the one with the 32) to be a complete one, or whether to stick with a HGU and make my third getup to be a half with the 32 as well.

I hope this makes sense....

Have you tried a full getup with the 32kg?

If you did and found yourself struggling too much or unable to complete the rep, then there's nothing wrong with sticking with half get ups for a while.

If you haven't tried it then I suggest you do. Just make sure you do it in a place where you can drop the bell in case something goes wrong. Or have someone spot you.

I went straight from 24kg to introducing a couple of full reps with the 32kg. But everyone is different.

I also didn't do half-getups with the 32kg, and it was heavy for me.

What I felt like helped me quite a bit was static holds, in two different ways.

One way is simple overhead holds with either the 24kg or the 32kg. I would just press or push press the kb overhead and hold it for time. Also, I often march in place while doing this - kind of a loaded carry in place.

The other way is holding each position of the getup. If I was only able to do one getup with the 32kg, I would hold it for five seconds or so at each stopping point. So, hold in the lying, bench press position. Hold in the elbow position. Hold in the tall sit. Hold in the 3-point (not sure what to call it), where you're on one foot, one knee, and one hand. Hold in the kneeling position. Hold in the standing overhead position.

I would usually hold these positions only on the way up, then come back down at the normal speed.

I might do this with the one set I did with the 32kg, or for one or two sets with the 24kg.

I also would often do these holds on the last set of getups anyway. So, if I only used the 32kg for one set (say, the second set) and the 24kg for all other sets, I might do the holds for that set with the 32kg. But I may do the holds again on the last set with the 24kg.

Hope that all makes sense.

Hi guys, thanks for your ideas.  I just practiced adn am now reading your posts, but I'll have to incorporate your tips.  Thanks again.

No reason to apologise john, share and share alike. Hearing all experiences is what makes this forum so valuable, from seasoned practitioners and people going through or just been through a similar journey, it all matters and is all so helpful. I'm quite excited too, feel as if I got a new bike for christmas! It's just a lump of iron. It's an odd thing.

Ali,

I'll take my lump of iron over a lump of coal every day of the week!

Boy is the 32kg a heavy kettlebell...

Getups are manageable, but swings are tough.

Today I tried one arm swings and they absolutely kicked my a#@.

This is going to take a while...

I can now understand why Pavel says:

"As soon as a man starts showing a 32kg kettlebell who is the boss, he dramatically changes."

I love it. This bell really is heavy. I always felt the 24kg wasn't "manly" enough.

What I like about the 32kg is that I don't mind staying on this weight for the next 1-2 years.

As someone who started the get ups with 8kg and the swings with 16kg, if I ever reach the Simple standard it would be a really big accomplishment.

I also love that after playing around with the 32kg the 24kg starts to feel light. And the 16kg is basically a balloon.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom