all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S - 5 set ceil

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jeannot

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello,
I'am doing the S&S program and i succeed to keep good contraction and explosive force during five set of swing but after i feel my explosive force decrease and i think it is not a good thing to continu one set more (bad feeling).
i have done this program since 2 month and dont' succeed to do more set with "good form" (good form is good contraction particularly during the plank), do you have any advice?

thanks!

Sets of 5 swings are good! S&S page 29 has you starting out with "5 to 10 reps". Carry on with that, if it's working for you. Explosive force is what you're after.

Are you doing 2-hand swings at this point? What weight? How many total swings per session? Do you feel recovered from day to day?

I'am doing 2 hand swing with 16kg , five set of 10 rep (sometimes 7-8 rep because i prefer to stop when i feel my planck is not strong enough)
so around 50 swing 5 times a week.
However i have no problem to do my get up in 10 min with 16 kg since one month but it seems to be impossible for me to success in the 10*10 swing in 5 min. I don't try to hurry but i have the feeling not to progress in the swing contrary to the get up.
Maybe i have indeed some recovery problem and i have to be more patient to allow my body to increase its work capacity...
Thanks!

You mentioned contraction during the plank. Maybe you are overdoing that?

10 x 10 swings with 16kg in 5 minutes is not actually a necessary progression step for men, per the program. S&S has men starting out with 24kg: deadlifts, then 2H swings, then 1H swings. You work the 24kg until you are good for the 5-minute test, then move up in weight again. But working with 16kg in the beginning is fine too. I would say don't worry about the 5 minutes for now, figure out what it is about your technique that is tiring you early, make that adjustment, then start swinging the 24kg 2H to build your strength and power. Then back to 1H swings with whatever weight you can manage with good technique and work towards 10 x 10. Then up the weight... etc.

Skimming some of your past posts -- you have been to a SF kettlebell course?

I started to notice this, and began aiming to separate my swings into 2 'sets' of 5 sets of 10 swings. Usually close to every 80 seconds I will do a set of 10, then have a more extended rest of 4-5 minutes before beginning the second 'set' of 5 sets of 10 swings. Seems to work well.

@Glen ,i don't exactly know, i try to follow the advice in the book S&S and rest until i can speak normaly but maybe a cardio will be better
@Anna C, thanks for your advice, yes i have been in SF course in Paris with Alexey Senart, few month after the stage, i ask him to check my swing and it was OK
@The Nail, I don't remember this part in the volume Knob, so i will re-read the book
@LejonBrames, Maybe a good idea thanks

Thanks all, i appreciate your advices! I will applicate them to find a way to progress. I 'll appreciate future advice.

@jeannot,
Where do you live? Paris? There are more and more StrongFirst instructor in France (it makes me happy), so having someone not only checking your form, but also seeing the evolution during a S&S session may be a good idea.

It might just be that you need to rest more between sets.

I like the suggestion of @Anna C . When doing S&S, I did not wait to reach the standard to do one set with the heavier bell. Everytime I used the heavier bell, it taught me something that applied to the lighter one. When I started swinging the 32 (even for just one set), it was not very explosive, but the 24 instantly improved. So maybe do your second set with the 24, and see what happens.

after i feel my explosive force decrease and i think it is not a good thing to continu one set more (bad feeling).

That's some great insight and shows you understand the process already. Many, very much including me, take a good while to get that, so you are ahead of the game.
If the goal is 10x10 swings and you manage 5x10 now to get those numbers up you can:

factor in reps and sets at a time, with the recognition that you know when power subsides either as:

adding in per set.....so include some at 6 reps, to build to 6x10, then 7 and on...and mixing it in, eg some as 7, 7, 8,8, 7

or keeping to 5 but adding sets to 5 x 20....so 5 x10, 5x12, 5x14. Then when 5x20 is achieved, do 6x18, 7x14, 8x12 to keep the reps at or around 100.....and then 10x10.

I have absolutely no idea if one is better than the other. I've done both. I got to simple by the first rep adding method and recently doing simple again and this time I started out at 7x14, then 8 x12. Doing 10x10 now. There may well be pros and cons, preferences for each but overall more similarities than differences, maybe. And on days where you feel more is possible, go for it or stick and consolidate. Gradual increments being the overall theme. Hope that helps.

The book specifically says to stick to 5 sets until you can do them well (not sore, strong reps, strong sets), then only progress to 7 sets, repeat, then progress to 10 sets.
I would say you are doing a much better jpb at following instructions than most of us did (on the first and second and third attempt at simple until we do actually follow the program :D)

keep doing what you are doing! Add sets only when you feel ready to do so, and you'll see much faster progress later on!

Thanks @ali and @ClaudeR, maybe i misunderstand some instructions of S&S.
In S&S, Pavel writes "Stay in the above volume - the total numbre of reps- until you fully recover from day to day. If you are out of shape, this may take weeks. If you are in great condition, its will take a couple of a days. "
When i read this part, I didn't think i was out of shape but finally i think i'am:)
thanks

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom