all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S alternative when knee is swollen?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Johnny

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi
I have been doing S&S for about 10 months.
However my knee got swollen a few days ago

What is an alternative to goblet squats and turkish get ups (can't lean on my right knee)?

Swings are working well for me and I don't want to stop
S&S works really well for me in terms of lower back and general strength.

Thank you
Johnny

Welcome @Johnny

Any idea how your knee got swollen?

Please tell us about your S&S progress and experience in the 10 months you've been doing it and what weight you were currently working with prior to the knee problem.

Hi Anna
I am 44, 178cm, 69.5kg.
Used to run 10km*4-5/week but was too slim and had lower back pressure.

Moved to s&s 7 times/week. began with 5kg, reached 28kg.
Got stronger, no back pressure, added pull ups,push-ups, dips on trx, ran 10k 1/week.

Moved to 30 kg, had a muscle cramp between the shoulders blades (my bad, wasn't listening to my body) took me a few weeks to get back.

I am aware the proposed weight jumps are larger however for me 2kg increase worked well and prevented tendon injuries I am prone to.

Now I am back at 27kg for 2 hand swings, 18/20kg for one hand swing and was at 24kg for Turkish get ups.

Knee got swollen probably due to a hit I took or micro injury, it had a tiny swelling I didn't feel too much and then I rode the bicycle for 8 km and it got massively swollen.

The orthopedic said its water in the knee, gave me magnesium and vitamin d and said it will get better within 1-6 months.

I also accidentally strained my ankle a few days ago so instead of turkish get up I added single leg deadlift with 2*12kg kettlebells -works well to strengthen the ankle, avoid bending the swollen knee (till I get your advice :) ) and engage core and lower back.

My goal is strength, probably gain 2-5 kg (not pursuing the 2nd one properly)
Nutrition 16/8 mostly, macrosls 30%fat, 25% protein, 45% carbs. alcohol, sugar (excl fruits).

S&S allows me to train consistently (3 kids take up any free minute...) with no injuries and progress with minimal thinking /logistics friction, I train at home and just increase the weights.

If I can achieve the above it will be great.

Thank you

Hi Anna
I am 44, 178cm, 69.5kg.
Used to run 10km*4-5/week but was too slim and had lower back pressure.

Moved to s&s 7 times/week. began with 5kg, reached 28kg.
Got stronger, no back pressure, added pull ups,push-ups, dips on trx, ran 10k 1/week.

Moved to 30 kg, had a muscle cramp between the shoulders blades (my bad, wasn't listening to my body) took me a few weeks to get back.

I am aware the proposed weight jumps are larger however for me 2kg increase worked well and prevented tendon injuries I am prone to.

Now I am back at 27kg for 2 hand swings, 18/20kg for one hand swing and was at 24kg for Turkish get ups.

Knee got swollen probably due to a hit I took or micro injury, it had a tiny swelling I didn't feel too much and then I rode the bicycle for 8 km and it got massively swollen.

The orthopedic said its water in the knee, gave me magnesium and vitamin d and said it will get better within 1-6 months.

I also accidentally strained my ankle a few days ago so instead of turkish get up I added single leg deadlift with 2*12kg kettlebells -works well to strengthen the ankle, avoid bending the swollen knee (till I get your advice :) ) and engage core and lower back.

My goal is strength, probably gain 2-5 kg (not pursuing the 2nd one properly)
Nutrition 16/8 mostly, macrosls 30%fat, 25% protein, 45% carbs. alcohol, sugar (excl fruits).

S&S allows me to train consistently (3 kids take up any free minute...) with no injuries and progress with minimal thinking /logistics friction, I train at home and just increase the weights.

If I can achieve the above it will be great.

Thank you
*Correction* no alcohol/sugar (excl fruits), lwan meat/poultry, little dairy, little coffee (1-2 machinettas/day)
Train at 5-6am

Thanks for the background! Hopefully it will help others generate some ideas as well. Sounds like your progress is good other than the knee issue.

Goblet squats are for warm-up in S&S so you can probably find a way to mobilize your hips without the deep knee bend. Hip airplane is a good one.

Swings are OK?

Instead of get-ups, floor presses in hollow position are great. Karen Smith had me doing those as part of a OAPU building program; see video below. 3 sets of 5 every other day would be about right. Maybe alternate days with regular standing overhead press (military press), 3 sets of 5. I think this will help you progress on parts of the get-up. Then when you get back to it, some of the hard parts will be easier.

@Anna C much appreciated
So to make sure I follow

Warm up
Switch goblet squat warm up for hip airplane
Sets
Alternate between military press and floor presses (hollow)
Drop the single leg deadlift?

Thank you

@Anna C much appreciated
So to make sure I follow

Warm up
Switch goblet squat warm up for hip airplane
Sets
Alternate between military press and floor presses (hollow)
Drop the single leg deadlift?

Thank you
Yes, sounds right... with the "Alternate" being each day. So one day floor press, next day military press, next day floor press... etc.

Single leg deadlift is great if it doesn't aggravate your knees or ankles. Any sensible rep/sets such as 3 sets of 5 is good. If it isn't strenuous and doesn't cause any soreness you can do it every day. Otherwise, every other day or 3x/week.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom