all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S and approved add ins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

There are a few approved add ins. Ie strength aerobics, subbing push presses for tgu, armour building complex. What has everyone experienced when following this format? Just enough variety to keep sanity, slow progress on s&s, improved progress, improved body comp, ie?

If your content with slow progress then you could experiment with a lot of stuff if you can make it work.
If you want fast progress, stick to the essentials and go as frequently as you can recover. It's never boring when you can see real progress.
In the end, it's your training. Whatever keeps you in the game is best.

I had added in Fighter Pull up on my way to Timeless Simple only because it felt right to do so. It also helps with a shoulder issue that I have.

Now that I’ve reach Timeless, I’ve reduced frequency to 3 sessions of S&S and 2 sessions of Strength Aerobics every week. This honestly saves my grip and hands now that I’ve also incorporated the 40 with S&S and has made me stronger with the core movements of swings and TGU.

@Pavel Macek has discussed his approach, touching base with other movements but not following a prescribed training plan for them, if I understand/remember correctly.

Remember that S&S can be scaled back, so what you add in and how you add it in needs to strike the right balance.

-S-

As for adding in, what was everyone's recovery like? Ie doing s&s and abc or s&s with total tension? Were you able to properly recover with no issues or was it too much? I would think ABC and s&s might be a little easier to recover from.

I'm just wondering because I'd like to put on a little more muscle, but I don't want to give up the S&S journey. I am doing farmers walks and occasionally double kettlebell deadlifts ala ROTK. Would this be enough? Or should I start doing a little extra? Like I said I don't want to take away from s&s and the end goal, I just want a little more meat on my bones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had added in Fighter Pull up on my way to Timeless Simple only because it felt right to do so. It also helps with a shoulder issue that I have.

Hi, do you do FPP before or After S&S
I will add FPP too, and think adding After S&S

Hello,

After I reached Simple by the timing standard, I kept doing it, to be sure really "owing it".

Nonetheless, I added several things, depending on what I wanted to do:
- Soju & Tuba
- Daily Dose Deadlift
- Daily Dose Press, with a copyright to @Steve Freides
- Daily Dose Pull up, following the same principles

In all cases, all these things were fairly low volume, to be sure getting enough recovery.

On a daily basis, due to both life choices and obligations, I also walked a lot.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

After I reached Simple by the timing standard, I kept doing it, to be sure really "owing it".

Nonetheless, I added several things, depending on what I wanted to do:
- Soju & Tuba
- Daily Dose Deadlift
- Daily Dose Press, with a copyright to @Steve Freides
- Daily Dose Pull up, following the same principles

In all cases, all these things were fairly low volume, to be sure getting enough recovery.

On a daily basis, due to both life choices and obligations, I also walked a lot.

Kind regards,

Pet'

How often do you train?

Hello,

@Mark Limbaga
How often do you train?
Back then, I was training S&S 5 times a week.

This was the "main" program and was always the priority. I was able to manage these sessions because I chose to keep long rests so they were not that taxing. Indeed, I knew that I already passed Simple once, so there was no reason I was not able to do it another time.

I followed the guidelines of all the other programs "on the top" of S&S.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Mark Limbaga

Back then, I was training S&S 5 times a week.

This was the "main" program and was always the priority. I was able to manage these sessions because I chose to keep long rests so they were not that taxing. Indeed, I knew that I already passed Simple once, so there was no reason I was not able to do it another time.

I followed the guidelines of all the other programs "on the top" of S&S.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Same here. I know I can do a timeless simple any given time, now I am slowly working on building a wider strength reserve that I can do timed simple and timeless solid any given time

I had been adding in extras when working towards timeless solid and timed simplesuitcase carries, press ladders and hangs. Now on 4 day a week as per S&S 2 and timeless solid and timed simple, (completed 3rd week). As my focus has been S&S I’ve found that is more ‘solid’ by dropping most additional work and follow the S&S routine with some OS resets, crawling and some hanging as only extras.
Would plan then to try alternative programme, after current 4 week cycle. Was thinking of ROP with deadlifts and carried on variety days and also when feel appropriate some slow TGU movements, then return and see if more ‘solid’ to hopefully move on.
Recovery and capacity obviously vary depending on a variety of factors.

What about programming abc with s&s? I mean ten rounds with the bells you are doing s&s with? If you're moving up bells in s&s, use the same progression with ABC. Run abc twice a week.

I have noticed that my running, pull ups and many other skills have not declined at all while focusing just on S&S, but I used to be able to do more push ups. So I guess some push ups would be a good addition... I think I will start to do a couple of easy sets on my running/walking days.

I like alternating between a few exercises but focusing on 1H swing and get ups.

Eg
Day 1: 1H swing, get up
Day 2: 2H swing, press/pull ladders
Day 3: Snatch + get up complex
Day 4: 1H swing, push up / renegade row
Day 5: 2H swing, get up
Day 6: snatch + get up complex
Day 7: rest

Focus is on swings and get ups but some variety thrown in. On week 2 you could do some farmers carries or SL deadlifts instead of the other add ins.

What about programming abc with s&s? I mean ten rounds with the bells you are doing s&s with? If you're moving up bells in s&s, use the same progression with ABC. Run abc twice a week.
I’ve been scouring the forums for this exact question, which no one really addressed: S+S and ABC. Did you ever try it? I plan on doing S+S three times a week, two of those times I will do 5 rounds of ABC at the end. I’ll finish heavy, but not push it too hard. I have the exact same goals as you: progress S+S but put some meat on my bones with ABC (plus I just really enjoy the effect of the double KBs).

I was doing timeless simple months ago before an injury, but I suspect now that I rushed it to the 32 and didn’t really own it like I should have.

currently, the simple challenge is easy for me with 20 kg (1-hand) and the 24 (2-hand).

Nothing wrong with trying out other stuff too. Presses are an obvious easy add-on. At some point one should figure out how to snatch. I used to do a lot of bodyweight stuff too, but my philosophy changed and I don't any more, but I used to.
I agree with Pet that it's helpful to actually follow some kind of tried and true protocol, even if it's just the old 5X5. Still, even just "playing" with some other moves is nice. Even if you're not really making yourself stronger, you're learning how to move weight around.

I have noticed that my running, pull ups and many other skills have not declined at all while focusing just on S&S, but I used to be able to do more push ups. So I guess some push ups would be a good addition... I think I will start to do a couple of easy sets on my running/walking days.
I have been doing push ups every day for ten days now. Looks like I had the intention to start almost a year ago. :)

Must say, push ups really seem to fit well along S&S.
A few months back I tried adding carries on off days and it felt like it just hit the same muscles as in S&S.
But when I do few GTG push ups, I feel fresh doing them and awesome the next day I`m back to S&S.

A question:
I think I will try Q&D at some point in the future. Would GTG on the side of S&S be a good way to learn the power push up?
So far I have just done "normal push ups", not super slow nor super explosive, but I feel like I`m starting to drift towards more explosive ones anyway.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom