all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S and Barbell training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

exrandrewexr

Level 4 Valued Member
Hey guys,

Been doing my S&S since 3 months and loving it, training around 4-5 days a week.

Gyms in my country are open now so I would like to resume my barbell\hypertrophy training. The goal is to add a little muscle mass, but still be strong and I don't want to give up S&S.

I've been thinking on doing 3 days total body training in the gym, mostly compound exercises and between those I would make 2 days S&S + 1 off-day completely.

Anyone doing something similar? Is it too much? Have any suggestions regarding programming?

Many thanks!

That's pretty much what I do right now:

-Friday= Squat/Deadlift training and accessories
-Saturday= Q&D (snatch) and long walk (weighted)
-Sunday= Off
-Monday= Bench press training and accessories (actually floor press)
-Tuesday= Accessory training & A&A heavy snatching
-Wednesday= Q&D (snatch)
-Thursday= Off

Hello,

S&S pairs well with the Daily Dose Deadlift Plan. But as the title says, this is daily.

Where are you currently regarding S&S ? Do you recover well ?

Otherwise, I'd go for 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps with not really more than 3 minutes rest between sets (as you want to build a little muscle mass). This, performed 2 to 3x a week would not be too taxing. If you want to focus more on strength, 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps with 3-5 minutes rest between sets is tried-and tested.

As far as the lift goes, I would go for squats, deadlifts and overhead press or C&P.

Doing this kind of programming (with "only" 2 S&S per week), your S&S progression may slow down a little, even if you may find some carryover from your other weight training. This is especially true before Simple.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

S&S pairs well with the Daily Dose Deadlift Plan. But as the title says, this is daily.

Where are you currently regarding S&S ? Do you recover well ?

Otherwise, I'd go for 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps with not really more than 3 minutes rest between sets (as you want to build a little muscle mass). This, performed 2 to 3x a week would not be too taxing. If you want to focus more on strength, 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps with 3-5 minutes rest between sets is tried-and tested.

As far as the lift goes, I would go for squats, deadlifts and overhead press or C&P.

Doing this kind of programming (with "only" 2 S&S per week), your S&S progression may slow down a little, even if you may find some carryover from your other weight training. This is especially true before Simple.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks, Pet!

Currently I am at 3 sets with 24kg in both swings and TGU, the rest 2 sets being with 16kg. Also alternating 1H and 2H swings every other workout.

Starting 1st of July I should be progressing to 4 sets with 24kg and should be fine.

Will check the daily deadlift program, thanks!

What I started doing since last week is something like this - I've inspired from AthleanX and following 2 workouts (A&B) and will rotate each time. So some weeks I will have A-B-A and others B-A-B.

A workout looks like:

Squats, Deadlift, Horizontal Bench press, Chin Ups & 2 accessories exercises (face-pulls\some lateral delt work, etc).

All above done in 3 workings sets with 5-8 rep range.

B workout looks like:

Deadlift, Reverse Barbell Lunge, Overhead press, Pull Ups, Dips & 1 accessorie exercise

All above done in 3 workings sets with 5-8 rep range.

I've started kinda low weight, taking it easy and will try to progress with 1,25-2,5kg per week on the major lifts.

Will see how it goes after some weeks :)

Cheers

I started at a weight that I could easily do 5x5 with. I added 10 lbs a week to the squat and deadlift, 5 lbs per week for the bench, overhead press, and pullups. When I couldn't get 5x5 I dropped to 5x3, then 6x2, and finally 10x1. When I couldn't get the 10 singles I'd deload, find a new 1 RM, and then start at 75% of that for a new cycle.

Made really good progress on all lifts. Got my squat up from 300 to 410; deadlift from 370 to 500. Run and ruck times got a lot better. Best part was that I never felt really beat up or anything.

Should add that twice a week I did the McGill Big Three (Wed/Sat) and yoga (Tue/Fri). Did both of these at home with my kids.

Nothing revolutionary or sexy about it. Pretty simple; just thought some people might be interested in it.

I steal it from the Forum from another member. Hope this help.

Hello,

@exrandrewexr
Below are some thread of S&S and Tactical Barbell:

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've been thinking on doing 3 days total body training in the gym, mostly compound exercises and between those I would make 2 days S&S + 1 off-day completely.

In the winter, I do S+S plus barbells.

3x a week:

S+S
5x5 of 1 barbell compound lift (squat, OHP, clean, etc.), alternating.

It's good for GPP, making progress on KB lifts, and maintaining BB lifts.

It's my "winter program" when I don't want to spend much time in my cold unheated garage where my barbell lives. In the spring & summer, my programming becomes barbell dominant.

Hi,
I have been doing Dan John’s rapid ascent program 3 days a week combined with S&S 2 days a week. Really enjoying it!

I like the fact all I need for each workout is either just 1 barbell the same weight or just 1 kettlebell the same weight. No setting up equipment just getting some work in!

There is also the recommendation of two days of s&a and two days of pttp a week or two week blocks of s&a and pttp

Monday - Russian Bear - Incline Bench Press

Tuesday - S&S

Wednesday - Russian Bear - Deadlift

Thursday - Rucking

Friday - Russian Bear - Bench Press

Saturday - S&S

Sunday - Rest

One of the advantages of S & S is it doesn't tax recovery unduly. One can train it up to six days a week if that is one's sole training modality. If you want to use barbells as well, S & S can safely be run on days off without risking overtraining.

Thanks guys for all the valuable info.

I will say, fortunately, that becoming recently a father has changed the programming :)

I am now doing S&S almost every day at home with no visits to the gym. Sessions have progressed good, I am now at almost 1 month since I've incorporated 1 set of 32kg per exercise.

TGU it seems is stronger than the 1H swing with 32 kg, but I've added some chalk in and feels better.

If everything goes well, I hope somewhere in February \ March to own Timeless Simple, marking also my 1st S&S year :)

Cheers!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom