all posts post new thread

Nutrition S&S and diet centralization

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello,

We often talk about nutrition paired with S&S. So here the idea is to centralize some "proven efficient diets" regarding the goals below (A, B)

So, assuming someone (average guy of 1,75m - 70kg - about 15% BF - moderate physical activities) is following S&S, and does not have any health issue, what would be some kind of "typical" diet in order to either:
A. gaining mass / hypertrophy
B. losing weight (here, talking about bodyfat)
In all cases, it would be relevant to maximize recovery.

This diet ideas can include: meals, snacks, pre/post workouts, etc...

Then...the debate is open !

Kind regards,

Pet'

I think the best idea would be to first determine the cals required for maintance. Of course this is a highly variable number but from observation I would say that number is ~2500-2800.

So at 15%bf I would recommend cutting or maintance. I think you must own your right to bulk by being below 15%bf.

For cutting I would substract ~500 cals from maintance and having one refeed day at slightly above maintance. At 15% bf one refeed per week will suffice. Once the subject hits ~12% two refeeds/week would be appropriate.

As for macros:
Protein: 0.8-1g per lbs of bw
Fat: 20-40% of cals
Carbs: rest of calories
Fibre: 30-50g

As for food choices I am a fan of filling up the calories with foods you like. That includes white bread, chocolate, whisk(e)y, cereal ...
Note: the fibre is kind of the limiting factor. In order to get in at least 30g fibre/day you are "forced" to eat enough so called "clean" foods.

All the same rules apply to bulking: just add 200-300 cals

Last edited:
What do you mean by "bulking" while doing S&S? I dont think S&S could cause hypertrophy suitable for a bulking period. Maybe some hypertrophy as months go by, but certainly not a bulking phase.

S&S does seem to be an appropiate program for maintenance or weight loss with body composition improvement.

Whats the difference between carbs and fibre? What would be examples of food rich in fibre?
the fiber is not a macronutrient, in the sense that in doesnt pass to the bloodstream. As it comes in, it goes out. An example of high fiber food is carrot or spinach. For instance, 100 grams of spinach have 91 grams of water. Out of the remaining 9 grams, more than 2 grams are fiber.

Well, yes. S&S would probably not be the No. 1 program for bulking (rather some bb stuff, RoP or double KB programs a la Geoff Neupert).
However, you can def expect some hypertrophy. Furthermore if someone is chasing Sinister, some extra calories might be helpful.

Concerning fibre: there are solible fibre and unsoluble bit for the sake of simplicity just focus on fibre.
Foods rich in fibre: veggies, fruit (especially berries), whole grain products.

first determine the cals required for maintance.

Three Day Recall

Performing a Three Day Recall is necessary.

Counting your calories for three days, then dividing by 3 will provide you a good estimate of your Average Daily Caloric Intake. One of the days must be a weekend day, when eating habits change.

If you are gaining weight on your Average Daily Intake, you are consuming more calories than you are expending.

If you are losing weight on your Average Daily Intake, you energy demands are greater than your intake.

If you weight remains the same, you caloric intake matches your caloric expenditure.

from observation I would say that number is ~2500-2800

How did you come up with this caloric range?

For cutting I would substract ~500 cals from maintance

500 kcal Deficit

This is a general good range that is recommended by the American College of Sports Medicine.

A better method is to decrease you caloric intake by 20%.

having one refeed day at slightly above maintance.

A Refeed Day Unnecessary

They are minutely counter productive and serve no real purpose.

Kenny Croxdale

Performing a Three Day Recall is necessary.

Counting your calories for three days, then dividing by 3 will provide you a good estimate of your Average Daily Caloric Intake. One of the days must be a weekend day, when eating habits change.

If you are gaining weight on your Average Daily Intake, you are consuming more calories than you are expending.

If you are losing weight on your Average Daily Intake, you energy demands are greater than your intake.

If you weight remains the same, you caloric intake matches your caloric expenditure.

I think a 7-day journal would be even better.

How did you come up with this caloric range?

Just purley observative from buddies and myself
500 kcal Deficit

This is a general good range that is recommended by the American College of Sports Medicine.

A better method is to decrease you caloric intake by 20%.

Yes, probably!

A Refeed Day Unnecessary

They are minutely counter productive and serve no real purpose.

Really? Do you have any literature on that?
Personally I just keep 1-2 refeed days/week.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom