all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S and endurance sports

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Laurent

Level 2 Valued Member
Good evening, it's been 4 months that I practice S&S (6 days a week), I'm a big fan but the summer is coming and I would like to integrate cycling or running while maximizing my progress by bike or running and S&S?
Thanks

Laurent

Hi Laurent.

The answer will depend of the king of cycling/running you intend to do.
Many people on this forum are doing well with MAF style endurance training with S&S.

Guess you need to choose what to focus on. I tried to incorporate running with S&S after I hit timeless simple. While I was amazed how easy running felt, I found out walking seems to blend much better with S&S for me. If you put too much effort in running/cycling, I guess you cant expect much progress in S&S at the same time.

It depends a bit on your ambitions and thus your training intensity. Some strong folks like @Harald Motz combine S&S style training with easy (!) endurance. Mostly zone 2, I think, 110-130 HR, the low hanging fruit.

Others like @Anna C, @offwidth and @vegpedlr train more intense cycling, if I am not mistaken, and might guide you.

You will probably need to experiment with different setups. In the end your recovery abilility is limited. But the general aerobic base can be very wide.

@Chissac ...
@Bauer is spot on when he says it depends upon your training ambitions. Running I find to be very complimentary to S&S (although these days I cycle more than run...) and as the others have also said you will need to prioritize and also pay close attention to recovery.
If S&S and its many benefits are in your scope then follow the book to the letter, and augment with LED running.
If... say cycling is your goal and you are preparing for a racing season (sounds like you aren't) or if you training for an ultra marathon runnning event, then focus on those, with S&S dialed back to 2-3 times / week.

What they said. I haven’t done S&S, but the programs I have found best suited to aerobic training are very similar, the DMPM and Easy Strength. I also vary my training by season, more strength work in the cold and wet season, more riding in summer.

My suggestion is to scale back S&S. Go lighter, less often. Decide how much cycling and running you will do, then add in S&S as appropriate.

Training strength and endurance concurrently is a bit tricky, but it can be done. My best attempt was when I trained Easy Strength 4-5 days a week, ran 3x/wk, cycled 3x/wk, with one long ride before a rest day. All aerobic sessions were MAF and about an hour long. Everything improved and I felt great.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom