all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S and other activities

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

arielbe

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello friends,
I'm in my mid 3rd week in S&S program and doing + feeling great. I'm using the 16kg KB.
Since I practice 6 days a week, I wonder if its ok to do other sport activities at the same day.
I would like to add pullups and some gymnastic skills.
I didnt understand it fully from the book, because it's written there that if you do other activities you can fail to do the S&S. I didnt ubderstand if it is regarding during the practice itself or during the day.
Thank you all

Ariel

As long as you can recover, it is all good. If you want to add it, keep it low volume and play it safe.

That being said: Keep the goal the goal. Trust S&S and don't add too much. Gymnastic skills can be taxing and slow down your S&S practice. If S&S is too easy, make your Swings and TGUs harder - the former more explosive and the latter slower and more controlled. Weeks 3 and 4 of a step cycle (see revised edition) are supposed to be easier and leave you with more energy. Maybe spend the available time on other activities, like reading or walking.

Don't add too much strength training on top. Some people report an increase in pullup reps from S&S without ever practicing them at the point when they are working with the Simple bells (usually people that could only do very few pullup reps, I think).

Key focus is as long as you can recover..

Shifting gears and making a guess here that you're either Hispanic or Filipino?

Thank you Bauer and Mark,
Interesting guess..i'm Israeli :)
Indeed I feel more energetic after the practice and thank you for reminding me it is due to 3rd week.
I started S&S in the beginning of the 2nd lockdown here in Israel and it was, and still is, perfect. before, I practiced Gymnastics, around 4 times a week and I wonder how to build my S&S and Gymnastics schedule after we get back to the Gymnastics hall..

Hello friends,
I'm in my mid 3rd week in S&S program and doing + feeling great. I'm using the 16kg KB.
Since I practice 6 days a week, I wonder if its ok to do other sport activities at the same day.
I would like to add pullups and some gymnastic skills.
I didnt understand it fully from the book, because it's written there that if you do other activities you can fail to do the S&S. I didnt ubderstand if it is regarding during the practice itself or during the day.
Thank you all

Ariel
S&S ‘should’ leave plenty in the tank for other activities. I cycle and climb, both somewhat seriously and S&S compliments those nicely. And often on the same day. Just listen to your body. (I have also run various pull-up programmes concurrently with S&S...)

I think it depends what "phase" you're in.

I put that in quotes because it's something I'm defining myself, not something you'll find in the book.

If you're an active person who has trained in other physical activities before, and you're just starting out with these as new skills, then yes you can easily do other things while you train and learn S&S. The weight you're using is not stressful for your body. You just need some practice time before moving up. (sounds like where you are, @arielbe)

If you're past the beginning phase and you know the movements and are starting to use a challenging weight, then no you don't want to be adding stuff. (you will be there soon, @arielbe)

If you're really into the meat of the program and doing goblet squats with heavier weight, really powerful and challenging 10x10 swings, and get-ups that are very difficult, then no you don't want to be adding stuff. Let this stimulus drive the adaptations that add strength, muscle, and capability. Give yourself quality recovery. Follow the book/program. (you will be here also, if you choose to, @arielbe. The general recommendation is to be here until reaching the Simple standard, or at least Timeless Simple).

If you've achieved Simple or some other milestone and you are using S&S for maintenance (not really trying to push into any heavier weights), then yes you can easily do other stuff. You have adapted to the stimulus and can use other things to drive new adaptations. S&S becomes like your daily walk. Activity, but not your training program. (sounds like where you are @offwidth)

If you are used to a lot of training volume and are good at juggling programs, and are also doing a serious training program, or some sort of martial arts, or endurance training, or something else, then S&S 2-3x/week can be helpful to take a milder dose of stimulus. You will progress, but not as fast. The ability to recover is key, as @Bauer said.

S&S is a pretty flexible program, actually. It just depends if you want it to be your focus. The more you focus on it, the more you'll get out of it. But it can still offer benefits when it's not the primary focus.

ברוכים הבאים, אריאל
16kg in S&S and Gymnastics should work fine together in the same day, or spread morning - evening, depending on the gymnastics training volume. You have a chance to train outside almost entire year, use it, it's a great way to have your morning recharge. בהצלחה!

I think it depends what "phase" you're in.

I put that in quotes because it's something I'm defining myself, not something you'll find in the book.

If you're an active person who has trained in other physical activities before, and you're just starting out with these as new skills, then yes you can easily do other things while you train and learn S&S. The weight you're using is not stressful for your body. You just need some practice time before moving up. (sounds like where you are, @arielbe)

If you're past the beginning phase and you know the movements and are starting to use a challenging weight, then no you don't want to be adding stuff. (you will be there soon, @arielbe)

If you're really into the meat of the program and doing goblet squats with heavier weight, really powerful and challenging 10x10 swings, and get-ups that are very difficult, then no you don't want to be adding stuff. Let this stimulus drive the adaptations that add strength, muscle, and capability. Give yourself quality recovery. Follow the book/program. (you will be here also, if you choose to, @arielbe. The general recommendation is to be here until reaching the Simple standard, or at least Timeless Simple).

If you've achieved Simple or some other milestone and you are using S&S for maintenance (not really trying to push into any heavier weights), then yes you can easily do other stuff. You have adapted to the stimulus and can use other things to drive new adaptations. S&S becomes like your daily walk. Activity, but not your training program. (sounds like where you are @offwidth)

If you are used to a lot of training volume and are good at juggling programs, and are also doing a serious training program, or some sort of martial arts, or endurance training, or something else, then S&S 2-3x/week can be helpful to take a milder dose of stimulus. You will progress, but not as fast. The ability to recover is key, as @Bauer said.

S&S is a pretty flexible program, actually. It just depends if you want it to be your focus. The more you focus on it, the more you'll get out of it. But it can still offer benefits when it's not the primary focus.
Thank you Anna for your reply, it is full of information to think of.
It will take a month until i'll start gymnastics again so now I'm full into S&S, and in a week I'lll start the progression into the 24kg KB and see how it will be in all matters.
It will be exciting and challanging for sure.
Another question, maybe to another post - if i'll practice S&S 3 times a week for example, what would be the weight progression?
Do i count the days like now until it reaches 4 weeks in order to progress?
Thanks
Ariel

ברוכים הבאים, אריאל
16kg in S&S and Gymnastics should work fine together in the same day, or spread morning - evening, depending on the gymnastics training volume. You have a chance to train outside almost entire year, use it, it's a great way to have your morning recharge. בהצלחה!
Thanks for the warm welcome @Alexander Halford . I do enjoy training outside, but mainly bodyweight.
And Indeed I found S&S in the morning as a great recharge :)

Another question, maybe to another post - if i'll practice S&S 3 times a week for example, what would be the weight progression?
Thanks
Ariel

I did the 16,20,24kilo step progression this summer as a supplement to my climbing training. Mostly 2-3 times a week and I found that adding a heavier set at the first of every month was about the correct pace. The last session or two per month were usually "boring" and I feel that is a good indicator that it was near time to level up.

I was also doing a 2HS every 3rd session, so if the next step came on a 1HS day, I only went heavier on the getups during the first session of the month.

I think there are three ways to do it:
- every 4 weeks
- every X sessions (for example after 16, 18 or 20 sessions)
- whenever you feel that the last 2-3 sessions felt really light or "boring" as @Ryan Johnson put it.

I think the S&S 2.0 progression is intended to match all three categories at once, but when you have fewer sessions per week you will have to choose for yourself.

Before I reached timeless simple, I was able to include other activities and still recover well even though I was practicing S&S 5-6 times a week.

Once I was past that phase I dropped down to 3-4 weekly sessions as suggested by the program. I also had to drop other activities. Yet, I was still not recovering well enough (for reference, I'm in my mid-50s).

I eventually managed to resolve this issue by splitting ballistics and grinds into alternate days. Now, I can train 6 days a week, have energy to do other activities and still recover well, which is key to sustainability.

if i'll practice S&S 3 times a week for example, what would be the weight progression?

@Bauer has some good ideas. Really it just depends on your response. 3x/week is a rather light stimulus, especially with the 16kg as you said you are currently using. In fact, it likely won't create enough of a training stress at to stimulate your body to get stronger and more capable (and therefore enable progression). So there are a few ways you could go with that, but I'd say the primary thing is to work towards getting to where you can do a full S&S session with 24kg, and keep focusing on good and powerful swings. That is a decent stimulus, and you'll then be in a different situation, and have more questions... which you're welcome to come back and ask. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom