all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S and other focuses

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JoeVarden

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and I’m completely new to anything inspired by Pavel. Kettlebells have always fascinated me and with us all locked in our own homes I figured there’s probably no better time than to start my education here.
I started S&S on Monday this week but I also compete in MMA, so for 3 days the week I am doubling my S&S sessions with bag work. I’m also thinking of adding GTG chins into my daily routine as of next week.

Long story short, I am just intrigued to know if there is anybody who does/has done S&S while also focusing on a sport, martial art or basically anything else? Any further advice would be welcome!

Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and I’m completely new to anything inspired by Pavel. Kettlebells have always fascinated me and with us all locked in our own homes I figured there’s probably no better time than to start my education here.
I started S&S on Monday this week but I also compete in MMA, so for 3 days the week I am doubling my S&S sessions with bag work. I’m also thinking of adding GTG chins into my daily routine as of next week.

Long story short, I am just intrigued to know if there is anybody who does/has done S&S while also focusing on a sport, martial art or basically anything else? Any further advice would be welcome!
Welcome to the SF forum. There are plenty of us here that do just that. For example... I cycle (a lot) and climb and do S&S 5 days a week. (Additionally I do Tai-Chi and Jodo on a daily basis)
But... I have been doing this type of thing for decades. Until you know how your body reacts, you might want to ease into it. Also pay attention to your recovery, and have a solid plan for that as well.

Again, welcome..

Welcome to the SF forum. There are plenty of us here that do just that. For example... I cycle (a lot) and climb and do S&S 5 days a week. (Additionally I do Tai-Chi and Jodo on a daily basis)
But... I have been doing this type of thing for decades. Until you know how your body reacts, you might want to ease into it. Also pay attention to your recovery, and have a solid plan for that as well.

Again, welcome..

Thank you for the warm welcome my man! It’s a pleasure to be here. Thank you also for the solid advice, the sense of accomplishment I’ve felt after completing my S&S training has been unbelievable so far already! Recovery wise, I feel like I have it somewhat covered using cold therapy, foam rolling so on and so forth.. I’m looking forward to progressing!

Welcome aboard.

@Pavel Macek wrote an article on the subject of using S&S for the training of a fighter linked here: S&C Training for MMA With Simple & Sinister.

I train in BJJ and Muay Thai 4x/week (or at least did so before COVID-19 hit) and will get back there again. I've found programs such as Simple and Sinister to be just the ticket for such things over the years, especially as I'm in middle thirties and am no longer a know-it-all twenty-something.

Welcome aboard.

@Pavel Macek wrote an article on the subject of using S&S for the training of a fighter linked here: S&C Training for MMA With Simple & Sinister.

I train in BJJ and Muay Thai 4x/week (or at least did so before COVID-19 hit) and will get back there again. I've found programs such as Simple and Sinister to be just the ticket for such things over the years, especially as I'm in middle thirties and am no longer a know-it-all twenty-something.

Thank you mate! I did read that, I must’ve misread it though as I thought it said they had Viktor (who is a very good fighter, by the way) do push presses from the get go but turns out it wasn’t until he built his TGU strength up? That’ll teach me to not just skim over articles again!

And yeah, I’m with you.. I’m only 24 years old but I feel like my know it all phases has fizzled out now too. Thank you for the welcome mate

With all your other activity, I would wave your S&S load. Monday-heavy, Wed.-light, Fri.-med. as an example.
Would you consider heavy as performing 1 arm swings? And light as 2 arm? Or different weights totally? I’d consider your layout once my MMA gym is back open and training is more intense, but with all gyms closed at the moment I’m only doing bag work from home so I don’t think the risk of burn out is too high

Simple and sinister works great with bjj and muay thai. I have been training bjj for five years and muay thai off and on since 2013. Nothing has worked quite as well as S & S while i am also doing mma type training. I do take breaks from mma to focus on heavy strength. Im 33 and have had several injuries in the past so heavy lifting and hard mma training together can cause issues. S & S gives me the perfect amount of what i need in terms of strength and power outside of the actual training. When i go back to heavy lifts my numbers are usually pretty close to where i left off.

Thank you mate! I did read that, I must’ve misread it though as I thought it said they had Viktor (who is a very good fighter, by the way) do push presses from the get go but turns out it wasn’t until he built his TGU strength up? That’ll teach me to not just skim over articles again!

And yeah, I’m with you.. I’m only 24 years old but I feel like my know it all phases has fizzled out now too. Thank you for the welcome mate

No problem and based on your use of the term 'mate' I'll presume you're from the former British Commonwealth or the United Kingdom?

Would you consider heavy as performing 1 arm swings? And light as 2 arm? Or different weights totally? I’d consider your layout once my MMA gym is back open and training is more intense, but with all gyms closed at the moment I’m only doing bag work from home so I don’t think the risk of burn out is too high
Two hand swings would be great for you, as in the programming from The Quick And The Dead, but I'm talking about different bell sizes for your single arm swings and get-ups. I would still go hvy-lt-med. even though you don't have access to your gym. Good for you to have a day with a bell that you can swing and get off the ground with, with greater speed. And also to give your nervous system a bit of a rest.

Heavy for you would be something you can own, but maybe not want to do three times a week.

Last edited:
Two hand swings would be great for you, as in the programming from The Quick And The Dead, but I'm talking about different bell sizes for your single arm swings and get-ups. I would still go hvy-lt-med. even though you don't have access to your gym. Good for you to have a day with a bell that you can swing and get off the ground with, with greater speed. And also to give your nervous system a bit of a rest.

Heavy for you would be something you can own, but maybe not want to do three times a week.
I’m with you! I’ll stick to S&S 4/5 days a week until I can source some more kettlebells. I don’t know about the USA or wherever you may be from, but here in the UK it’s a real pain to find them at the moment. There seems to be a shortage with the current pandemic and the ones that are available the prices have been inflated massively because of the demand!

If you need to spread our your s and c even further, you can alternate days of swings and getups as I know how much indirect resistance work you get in MMA training with drills such as lifting and carrying your training partner..

The focus of your s and c is to make you more durable and be able to recover quickly from your training, it should not take away from your training..

A better setup for that knockout strike or submission (or your transition skills) are what will get you the wins in the cage/ring, people wouldn't really care much if you swing the 48kg if you don't have a good win-los record..

Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask if you have any further questions

If you need to spread our your s and c even further, you can alternate days of swings and getups as I know how much indirect resistance work you get in MMA training with drills such as lifting and carrying your training partner..

The focus of your s and c is to make you more durable and be able to recover quickly from your training, it should not take away from your training..

A better setup for that knockout strike or submission (or your transition skills) are what will get you the wins in the cage/ring, people wouldn't really care much if you swing the 48kg if you don't have a good win-los record..

Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask if you have any further questions
Thank you for the solid advice mate! I will definitely keep this in mind once our gym is allowed to open back up once all this madness ends.

Thank you also for the warm welcome, hope you and your loved ones stay safe!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom