all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S and PTTP mix

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@El Cid I would advise stick with his plan. Get functional and stronger. The weight will come off slowly with a smart diet, and light cardio. I like to walk in the mornings in a fasted state, with only black coffee.

I can empathize I am 5'10" and +250lb. A strong weight for me is around 220lb, I have put on weight in the last 6 months. I have been eating like I used to train. A few years ago I got down to 205lb by doing a 5x5 program, with lots of fasted walking, and weekend hiking in the Rockies.

I am a lot stronger and happier at around 220lb, and I became obsessed and restrictive about my diet. Looking back I was Orthorexic, and it was negatively affecting my performance, and life. I remember the days of making weight for a meet, and how dangerous and unhealthy it was.

@Geoff Chafe- I'm with you. I'm 5'11 and 245 and feel great at 225. I started the fasted walking and IF today and hoping to get down to my good weight for a dead only meet in march.

@El Cid I would advise stick with his plan. Get functional and stronger. The weight will come off slowly with a smart diet, and light cardio. I like to walk in the mornings in a fasted state, with only black coffee.

I can empathize I am 5'10" and +250lb. A strong weight for me is around 220lb, I have put on weight in the last 6 months. I have been eating like I used to train. A few years ago I got down to 205lb by doing a 5x5 program, with lots of fasted walking, and weekend hiking in the Rockies.

I am a lot stronger and happier at around 220lb, and I became obsessed and restrictive about my diet. Looking back I was Orthorexic, and it was negatively affecting my performance, and life. I remember the days of making weight for a meet, and how dangerous and unhealthy it was.

Agree wholeheartedly that getting strong and having functional mobility capacity being a priority. Where I'm coming at it from is that since he's on the 24kg he has a lot of strength he can still get from S&S.

Also, he mentioned weight loss as his first goal, and while I agree that nutritional intake is the driving factor there it helps to support that effort with an eye to your calorie output. Low volume PTTP work does little in that respect.

Additionally, ime, people at the body mass he's at tend to benefit greatly from building cardiovascular capacity because carrying the extra tissues with you through all your movement exposes any weakness in that system without remorse (as opposed to someone who has a "wiry" build, trying to get strong). Said another way: the heavier you are the more cardiovascular capacity can tend to be a bottleneck that limits other aspects of training. Of course, for all I know the OP is a cardiovascular rock star...and I'm making a wrong assumption based on lack of information.

I'm a bigger guy who struggles to keep lean as well (6ft., currently 218lbs, 203 being about ideal, and I've been as high as 250). I know that when I get too heavy my movement quality suffers with a number of the things I do, especially the more dynamic things...and, for me at least, as goes my weight so goes my cardio respiratory health because I my enjoyment of locomotion for long duration decreases.

Anyway, just some thoughts out loud for the OP to see the discussion. If he loves barbell training and it helps him keep progressing, PTTP implemented with the advice he's getting here is a solid plan :)

Last edited:
Shawn S,

Congrats on starting to drop some lbs. I would support the 2d each week s&s with pttp if the variety appeals to you - the best workout is one that you like and can stick with.

One other consideration for exercise variety is jumping rope - great workout in small amount of time, and great for martial arts footwork.

One last thing -the dominant factor in weight loss is diet, exercise will help for sure, but not to the same extent. Best of luck.

I appreciate everyone's advice. It gives me much to think about. Right now Im leaning towards 2 pttp and 2 s&s each week. I enjoy going to the gym and getting away from home for a bit, and being that I attend a very pro barbell powerlifting gym it only seems fitting .

I second the two days of each each week. What I've done in the past was s&s during the week and when home pttp on the weekend.

I second the two days of each each week. What I've done in the past was s&s during the week and when home pttp on the weekend.
Can I ask what type of progress you made on each during your time training like this? Yesterday was my first S&S session in 6 weeks, all with the 16kg to start back easy and I was pleasantly suprised that I really lost nothing in the time I was only doing barbell work.

I have always had great cardio from years of Thai boxing and BJJ though. I call myself functionally fat.

@Shawn Szczepkowski My last PTTP session:
- broom stick drills, dislocates(standing, half kneeling, kneeling, Hinging, squatting), around the world, windmill stick, OHS, walking lunges and twist
- a few stretches, Stoney, Brettzel, down dog
- prying goblet squat 3x3@40kg, double bell clean+rack carry 5x5+5laps@24kg/ea (I need clean practice right now), paused chin-ups3x3

Conventional Deadlift
135x5
185x4
225x3
275x2
315x1
365x1
415x5@100%
375x5@90%
335x5@80%

Axel Rack Press
up and overs 2x10@red band
45x5
95x5
135x3
165x5@100%
150x5@90%
135x5@80%

Axel Pendelay Rows - 3x8-12@235

Hangs, 90/90, QL cool down, 72 min.

@Geoff Chafe Just wondering: how thick is your axle bar ?

@Mirek My Axel Bar is 48mm. It is a 7 foot piece of 1 1/2" schedule 80(wall thickness) seamless steel pipe. I have posted before how cheap and easy it is to make a 48mm, and 60mm bar.

If I had my time back I would not have painted it. I would have polished it like the Apollons Axel from IronMind. It would be well seasoned by now. I still could, it would be more work though.

When I was doing it, I routinely added five pounds. Progress really slowed when work picked up. I have a very labour intensive job. In hindsight, I probably should have stepped back more.

Hello,

As @HUNTER1313 said, it is important to slowly add weight, and avoiding (too big jump), otherwise, you could get injured or go to failure. In both cases, this finally slows down progression.

Depending on the moves, you can make different kind of jump. From my experience, I added 2kg for my GUs, but added 4 for my swings.

Kind regards,

Pet'

2 days PTTP, 2 days S&S, or
14 days PTTP, 14 days S&S

Note 1: own at least "Simple" standards, and I mean really own.
Note 2:
To reap the benefits, you have to keep doing the program for at least couple of months.

I guess some of the above posts have hinted at this, but I want to ask about “own the simple standards” comment, as my goals and experience are a bit different.

I train primarily with barbells and want to up my deadlift. I had been planning to do S&S at home as light/variety work twice a week and cut down on the volume of my assistance in the gym, since I suffer from insomnia on days when I do five sets of heavy deadlifts with assistance work. Would I be better suited either just doing S&S daily until I reach the simple goals, or dropping kettlebells until I reach my deadlift goals? Is this “own the simple standards” a must for any novice working kettlebells into his/her practice, or is it a guideline for people who are training S&S and getting restless?

@Pavel Macek

I guess some of the above posts have hinted at this, but I want to ask about “own the simple standards” comment, as my goals and experience are a bit different.

I train primarily with barbells and want to up my deadlift. I had been planning to do S&S at home as light/variety work twice a week and cut down on the volume of my assistance in the gym, since I suffer from insomnia on days when I do five sets of heavy deadlifts with assistance work. Would I be better suited either just doing S&S daily until I reach the simple goals, or dropping kettlebells until I reach my deadlift goals? Is this “own the simple standards” a must for any novice working kettlebells into his/her practice, or is it a guideline for people who are training S&S and getting restless?

@Pavel Macek

If the goal is to alternate PTTP! and S&S as mentioned in the original post, then:

- train primarily S&S to meet the "Simple" standard, and maintain your barbell skills (e.g. 3x3 with your 5RM once a week), and then train primarily your barbell lifts and maintain the S&S (or do it it other way round)
- and then jump on a program alternating S&S and PTTP! as outlined in the original post, and stay on it for at least couple of months (meaning 6, 12, or longer)

Otherwise just do easy S&S twice a week as a variety day.

If the goal is to alternate PTTP! and S&S as mentioned in the original post, then:

- train primarily S&S to meet the "Simple" standard, and maintain your barbell skills (e.g. 3x3 with your 5RM once a week), and then train primarily your barbell lifts and maintain the S&S (or do it it other way round)
- and then jump on a program alternating S&S and PTTP! as outlined in the original post, and stay on it for at least couple of months (meaning 6, 12, or longer)

Otherwise just do easy S&S twice a week as a variety day.
Thank you, this is great!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom