all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S and Quick and the Dead

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

marcio trigueiro

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi there

Newbie here, progressing on S&S currently at 24kg. I also read Q&D and have experimented a few times a week to mix them i.e. to do the 100 swings timed with 100 explosive push-ups, in 30 min. After that I do the 10 TGU.

Anybody has experience with that? Pros and Cons? I feel that I get a more complete workout in those 40min than just the 25-30min that I would use for S&S.

Thank you so much for any input!

Marcio

First, welcome to the forum.

The simple answer is no. They are separate programs and designed to be run separately, there are several threads on the forum under Q&D that can answer the why.

The recommended approach is to attain Simple before moving on to Q&D (or other programs), and then cycle them individually in 6 or 8 week blocks.

You are, of course, able to do whatever you choose with them, just do not expect them to deliver the usually expected results as if they were run as designed.

Last edited:
I know the feeling of wanting/needing to do more to feel worked out, but the combo you describe is not well balanced. Personally I really have liked to do some easy running after a S&S session and maybe work in a 5x5 triple progressions for a couple of lifts once a week. But you could also do some grease the groove bodyweight work throughout the day or maybe some Justa’s singles deadlifts every day.

Mixing programs is not simple, even with a program like S&S which can easily compliment other training. But as a general rule don’t mix two programs that have similar goals and approaches.

Thank you for the advice. I found an Elite Instructor in my area, will work with him to set up a solid program. I want to complete the Timeless Simple, and add some more exercises in this path.

Bump!

I am currently doing John Russia’s FHT program. My wife and I are expecting a new baby in mid-June, and after that I’ll need to taper down to a more efficient training program. I did S&S today just to see how it felt, and I was able to achieve Timeless Simple (swings in ~15’, TGUs in ~10th’). I’m debating whether I should plan on doing S&S or Q&D when the time comes. I plan on doing 2 days of S&S between now and the birth of our son. Any thoughts/recommendations?

Also, I would like to continue with some form of barbell training along with S&S/Q&D. Any recommendations on how best to do this?

Thanks in advance!

I wanted to keep the feel of simple and sinister for one of my runs of Q + D so i did it how it says in the book but threw in 10 get ups after my session was complete. Get ups are the most beneficial exercise to my sport (Bjj) so i wanted to keep them in there. Worked well for me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom