all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S and Rucking?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Scofflaw

First Post
Hello! I am a noob so forgive me for some of what may be obvious questions. I've lurked around on this forum a little and it seems as if there's a great community of helpful people here, so I'm looking forward to being a part of it!

I just purchased Simple and Sinister and have a 35lbs Kettlebell. Over the years I've almost exclusively trained bodyweight exercises and some dumbbells and bands here and there, my own variations, or programs like P90X (I know, cheesy!) I fell off from fitness for a little well, but have fell back into it the last few months. I have never done Kettlebell anything before but I'm super stoked about learning!

I am currently training for a GoRuck Tough Challenge event in the middle of March, my goal is to get stronger as I prepare for that event. I know pushups are a big part of the event, as well as a lot of rucking (hiking with a weighted back, about 35lbs or so).

My question is two fold:

- Is there a way I can follow the S&S Program and still incorporate bodyweight exercises (pushups and pullups) as well as my weighted hiking?

- In an older video Pavel only mentioned having one 35lbs kettlebell to begin for the inexperienced male. The book says I should also have a 53lbs kettlebell, is it possible to still get started with only one 35lbs kettlebell?

Thank you in advance for your help and patience!

First off welcome...
The short answer to your question is yes.
S&S pairs well with pull-ups and rucking (in general terms) However, it is also dependent upon your current level of fitness. For a deconditioned individual it might be too much to start off with. As long as you have no medical conditions that would preclude anything you could ease into S&S a few days a week (not the recommended 5-6) and do rucking and pull-ups on other days. (Have some rest day built in too)
For your purposes a 16kg bell should be a fine starting point, especially considering your other potential activities.
I would highly recommend that if you have the means, that you would benefit from getting some instruction from an SFG to ensure proper technique.
Again, welcome, and have fun with that Go-Ruck event...

It's entirely possible to get started with a 35lb kettlebell...the TGUs will likely provide more than enough entertainment for many weeks.

Rucking with S&S is a great combo, I did it for many months. Usually just 4 days of lifting, 3 days of rucking. You recover from one while doing the other, nothing more to it really.

As for the BW exercise -- I will defer to others, but you will probably get better advice if we know what kind of volume you will need to do during the event and where you are at now in regards to doing it.

Welcome!

Last edited:
Hello,

@Scofflaw
first thing first, welcome !

- Is there a way I can follow the S&S Program and still incorporate bodyweight exercises (pushups and pullups) as well as my weighted hiking?
I think this is possible. I would go for 5 - 6 trainings a week, based on alternate days. Day A: S&S, Day B: rucking + "others".

Related to the "others": rucking of course ! In addition to it, you can hit pull ups and push ups. For instance, it would be possible to go for the Fighter Pull up Program (on alternate days then, not everyday). Be careful on grip and shoulders.

Do you follow a specific plan related to rucking (a time / a distance / a weight) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

You need to do the pushups with your ruck on, right? Train accordingly.
A good option would be to integrate them into your rucking sessions. For example every 10-15min drop down and do a set, then continue rucking.

I like @pet' s idea.
Mo, Wed, Fr: Fighter Pullup after waking up + S&S in the afternoon/evening
Tu, Thu, Sat: Rucking with integrated pushup sets
Sun: Rest

Definately to both your questions.

You might find that your TGU lags your swing in progress. Mine did. By the time you move from a two hand to a one hand swing, you might find that the same weight is still fine for you TGUs. If it is too easy, then you can slow down the speed of your TGUs, which I HIGHLY recommend before buying a larger weight. You can also use dumbells for the TGU if you still find the 16 one handed enough for your swings.

The brilliance of S&S is that it is meant to support and not interfere with any other program. As Pavel says, just adjust if you feel too fatigued. It makes everything better.

Last edited:
Hello! I am a noob so forgive me for some of what may be obvious questions. I've lurked around on this forum a little and it seems as if there's a great community of helpful people here, so I'm looking forward to being a part of it!

I just purchased Simple and Sinister and have a 35lbs Kettlebell. Over the years I've almost exclusively trained bodyweight exercises and some dumbbells and bands here and there, my own variations, or programs like P90X (I know, cheesy!) I fell off from fitness for a little well, but have fell back into it the last few months. I have never done Kettlebell anything before but I'm super stoked about learning!

I am currently training for a GoRuck Tough Challenge event in the middle of March, my goal is to get stronger as I prepare for that event. I know pushups are a big part of the event, as well as a lot of rucking (hiking with a weighted back, about 35lbs or so).

My question is two fold:

- In an older video Pavel only mentioned having one 35lbs kettlebell to begin for the inexperienced male. The book says I should also have a 53lbs kettlebell, is it possible to still get started with only one 35lbs kettlebell?

My question is two fold:

I can help you with this. shoot me a message

I used the info gained in this community to prep for my last GORUCK (a heavy) and am doing another one in a couple weeks (a tough)

Stay posted about @aciampa 's upcoming book... it'll help and you have plenty of time to get ready. in the meantime, start with Al's article
http://www.strongfirst.com/how-to-ruck/

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom