all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S and some beginner advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kihlgast

First Post
hi all

Im quite new to the kettlebell and training in general. But the kettlebell has really Got me in to the whole training thing

I have been Reading about the simple and sinister, and i really like that it is only Two exicises. But I do not have the time to work out every Day of the week. I work out three days a week.

So is the s&s a waste When I dont intend to train more than three days every week? Or should I ad some more exercises to my workouts?

When doing the one-hand swing is a set of 10, 10 times with each hand or is it 5 times with each hand?

Looking forward to some replys wich Will be Much apreciated

In the book Pavel says that 2days is sufficient. Of course more days would be better, but you should be fine with 3days/week.
Maybe on the other days wake up 10min earlier and then do something like 40 swings and 2 (per side) TGUs. It's not a full S&S session with warmup etc, but you'll get daily practice in the lifts which will benefit you a lot.

It's 10 times with each hand: 10 left -> rest -> 10 right -> rest -> 10 left -> rest -> ... until you reach 100

I don't know your circumstances, but at one time I thought I didn't have enough time to do S&S more than a couple of times per week either. Once I started doing it and saw the benefits it provided, I soon figured out how to do it 5 days per week, and haven't looked back. For me it was worth the investment, and then some. But as @Kettlebelephant says you should be fine with 3 days; even more so if you can 'sneak' some other stuff in.

Best, IMHO, would be to work up to 5-7 days a week for a while before cutting back to less often.

-S-

Hi @Kihlgast, welcome to the kettlebell world!

Since you're "new to the kettlebell and training in general", it's going to take your body a little while to get used to moving these balls of iron around. I think 3 days a week will do you a lot of good, though more will do better. Just be sure to ease into it and follow the progresssions in the book; for example, don't jump right into 1-hand swings.

My suggestions: Give a lot of attnetion to the 3 warm-up exercises, especially the goblet squat... follow the progressions described in the book; work on your kettlebell deadlift for a while before you swing, work on your swing in sets of 5 before you go to 10, work on your 2-hand swing for a while (weeks, perhaps, even months) before you go to a 1-hand swing, do your getups with a shoe to dial in your form before you load them. It's all in there, and using these progrsssions will lay a better foundation for success later. Oh, and read the book over and over... Some things make sense and sink in on the first reading when you're starting out, some won't really speak to you until the 15th reading when you've been on the program for many months.

I would say Anna C "nailed it". Pay attention to her suggestions and don't be in a rush. At some point it would be a major benefit if you could get a certified KB instructor to put eyes on your form.

Thanks alot for all the replies. I really apriciate them.

I´ve been playing with KBs for three month now, just trying different exercises, and getting to now how a KB works. So lately i have been hooked on the simplicity of S&S. And I have tottaly fallen in love with the getup. Theres just something about that exercise....

I would like to work out more than three times a week, but in between my work, family with wife and 4 children and fixing up our old house. Thats is simply not an option for my at the moment

Just did the 100 one hand swings in 5 minuttes, and did the 10 TGUs in 9 minuttes with a 16kg. I really happy in the result. I have tried writting to my local gym, and asking if they have KB instruktors, so that I can get my form looked at.

Again thanks alot for all the adwise.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom