all posts post new thread

S&S and Tennis

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jijako

First Post
Hi Strongfirst !

First, I want to apologize for my English which I’m not fluent in.

Male, 23
French
Tennis Monitor

Training History
Occasional barbell lifts during my curse => 1RM Squat = 85kg, DC = 50kg, DL ?
Serious tennis praticioner, I play tennis in competition

Injury history
Osgood-Schlatter disease 14’s
Tendonitis TFL
Hyaluronic Acid in my ankle for crack cartilage

Goals
Increase physical tennis perf
Owning a 24k for both Swing and TGU (Long term goal = Simple)
With this GPP, play all sports/physical activity I want without scare of injury/pain

So, I have started S&S after a KB Strongfirst course. Now, I do 1 or 2 sets with a 12k for TGU, the other sets are partial or naked. For the 2H Swing, with a 16k, I will do 7 sets according to the « sore rule »

To be sure, before play with the 1H Swing, I have to master the 2H swing until 10 sets, and then add some 1H Swing carefully, right ?

Method
S&S 5/6 times a week
The only difficulty is the « conflict » between tennis and S&S. For example, I had tournament on Fri, Sun, Mon and Tue, so I made my last S&S on Thu and I will do my next S&S tomorrow probably because I was very sore...

Welcome, @Jijako !

For the 2H Swing, with a 16k, I will do 7 sets according to the « sore rule »

To be sure, before play with the 1H Swing, I have to master the 2H swing until 10 sets, and then add some 1H Swing carefully, right ?

"Sore rule"... I like that :)

Yes, the book is not super clear on this, but p. 32 "When you are very competent in the two-arm swing, and not a moment sooner, add the one-arm swing to your practice." Also p. 51 "Then do five sets of ten swings, mostly two-arm swings at this stage, occasionally adding a couple of sets of one-arm or hand-to-hand swings." This is with a 24kg according to the chart on p. 51, so I would say work up to 2H swings with 24kg before spending much time with a 1H swing. No harm in a little practice with 1H swing and hand-to-hand swings with 16kg though, while you are working on 24kg 2H swings. Also don't forget the practice with deadlifts on pg 23-25 using your 24kg.

So, working up to 10 x 10 1H swings is somewhat variable...
  • Early on mix the deadlift and swing
  • As you get stronger mix the 16kg and 24kg
  • As you are able to recover better slowly increase the number of sets from 5 x 10, to 7 x 10, then 10 x 10
  • As you get more competent with the swing mix the 2H and 1H.
So you are working towards 10 x 10 1H swings with the 24kg... but your progress doesn't have to be strictly in that order.

This advice looks strangely familiar.....

Welcome, @Jijako !
Yes, the book is not super clear on this, but p. 32 "When you are very competent in the two-arm swing, and not a moment sooner, add the one-arm swing to your practice." Also p. 51 "Then do five sets of ten swings, mostly two-arm swings at this stage, occasionally adding a couple of sets of one-arm or hand-to-hand swings." This is with a 24kg according to the chart on p. 51, so I would say work up to 2H swings with 24kg before spending much time with a 1H swing. No harm in a little practice with 1H swing and hand-to-hand swings with 16kg though, while you are working on 24kg 2H swings. Also don't forget the practice with deadlifts on pg 23-25 using your 24kg.

So, working up to 10 x 10 1H swings is somewhat variable...
  • Early on mix the deadlift and swing
  • As you get stronger mix the 16kg and 24kg
  • As you are able to recover better slowly increase the number of sets from 5 x 10, to 7 x 10, then 10 x 10
  • As you get more competent with the swing mix the 2H and 1H.
So you are working towards 10 x 10 1H swings with the 24kg... but your progress doesn't have to be strictly in that order.

It wasn't nice not thank you for your advices even if I read your messages Anna & Michael and I apply them.

Only 3 weeks consecutives whereas I started in November, but I feel in the process now.

So thank you for your messages !

@Jijako
Welcome.
Benoit Foucher is a French SFG and an elite tennis player. Maybe you could contact him, tennis and StrongFirst principles are two fields where he is good at!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom