all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S and the older guys

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I keep reading that as we age it's important to hold onto (or build) some muscle as we lose it inevitably. Since S&S gives us the best of strength, mobility, and function what can be done to build or maintain what we have or should have? As I've said before I usually always include farmers walks or weighted carries.

If you're focused mainly on kb and body weight work then don't forget some heavy rows, push ups, chin ups/pull ups. Lots of crawling.

Also, as my good friend @Jim Lauerman could attest, OS resets and crawling is a must for the aging athlete. In fact it might be one of the best things you can do to balance and enhance your strength.

I keep reading that as we age it's important to hold onto (or build) some muscle as we lose it inevitably. Since S&S gives us the best of strength, mobility, and function what can be done to build or maintain what we have or should have? As I've said before I usually always include farmers walks or weighted carries.
Squat and bench press, @Pavel Macek’s Resilient as well.

-S-

@Steve Freides is right. I'll just point out that the squat and the bench press should be done with a barbell for loading.

You don't have to do these all year if you don't want to. Something like 8-16 weeks once or twice a year should be great if you otherwise eat well and train or exercise consistently.

crawling is a must for the aging athlete. In fact it might be one of the best things you can do to balance and enhance your strength

Crawling is good, all floor based movement patterns are great but the daddy of floor based movement is.....the get up. A nice write up here and comparison to crawling:

The Forgotten Benefits of the Get-up | StrongFirst

For aging old creaky bodies the get up is a more appropriate movement .... Getting up from the floor....I'd argue. Not to dismiss crawling at all for anyone.

Crawling is good, all floor based movement patterns are great but the daddy of floor based movement is.....the get up. A nice write up here and comparison to crawling:

The Forgotten Benefits of the Get-up | StrongFirst

For aging old creaky bodies the get up is a more appropriate movement .... Getting up from the floor....I'd argue. Not to dismiss crawling at all for anyone.
You're right about that; getting up and down with control and stability is critical as we age. I took @HUNTER1313 to mean that swings and GUs were already being done and he was looking for additional things.

You're right about that; getting up and down with control and stability is critical as we age. I took @HUNTER1313 to mean that swings and GUs were already being done and he was looking for additional things.
That is correct Ryan. Swings, swings (sledgehammer), and get ups are already being done.

@ali and @HUNTER1313, Did this the other day and I'm thinking it might be up the alley we're talking about:

Some friends of mine that run a local shotokan dojo asked me to lead a kettlebell class. I was trying to keep it fun. Part of the warm up was the following:

Get up/Get down off the floor (Btw, I didn't make this up credit goes to DJ). 3 reps each:

-Straight getting off the floor
-One handed
-One leg and balance on one leg when standing
-No hands starting on stomach
-Hand glued to opposite knee

Everyone was surprised much of a sweat they worked up.

Short Rest

Then:
AMRAP (but staying fresh-no smokers) in 20 min

Single bell:
10 swings
waiter's walk (rack walk when getting tired) x20 feet
get down/get up (folks familiar with GUs did the full movement. Those that are still learning did to kneeling and back up)
row both sides
leopard crawl back to starting point

I-Go-You-Go where the partner stood at the opposite wall. Fast and Loose inbetween turns. I think everyone had fun.

@Ryan T.. ..Looks good! Yes, DJ's getup-sit-down
ing is a good thing, from intervention isn't it?

There is some mobility test that gives a score of a max 10 to get up and down from the floor with the least support. So sitting directly down into cross legged and getting up again is a ten. Using a knee is minus 1, a hand 1. A score of 8 or above is youthful buoyancy, kind of thing. I think Dj mentions it,

Simple Sitting Test Predicts How Long You'll Live | DiscoverMagazine.com

There is a video of the researcher mentioned in that piece with more details, that just a link for discussion pov. It's another thumbs up for the benefits of the get up.

I'm not a big fan of the barbell squat. I was looking at the DDD plan. Is it compatible with daily S&S?

I guess I should weigh in here as I am perhaps the oldest geezer around here regularly at 69 YO. My “go to” training is S&S minus the time goals. Honestly, I think rushing through heavy get-ups is not very bright, and that is my tendancy when the clock is ticking.

Instead, I do the warm-up per the book, use A+A methodology on the swings (all two-handed for me), and then five get ups, mostly to the windmill position with at least one to standing. I’ll adjust the KB weight based upon how I am feeling each day. I have no plans to go beyond the 24 Kg bell, because I don’t need to prove anything to anyone. Most are with the 20.

My “S&S” is done 2-3 times a week.

As Ryan noted, what I do every day, is a full complement of the big five OS resets. I do this before I do any KB work. The resets have given me excellent mobility. Sometimes I do some crawling, but I always do the diaphragmic breathing, head control, rolls, rocks, and cross-crawls.

To Hunter’s question about mass building, I don’t worry about it. Goblets, swings, and get-ups seem to give me enough to function well.

@ali you might be right but I'm not sure. I think I read it in DJ's HKC book released by DD later last year. DJ makes mention of it there, but I may have also read it in an article.

I'm not a big fan of the barbell squat. I was looking at the DDD plan. Is it compatible with daily S&S?
Other compound lifts will work, too. Deadlift, trap bar Deadlift, zercher squat, straddle Deadlift, hack Deadlift, pull-ups, dips, ab wheels - and the list goes on and on. Clean and press a barbell, even.

-S-

I went to dig my bar out to do deadlifts, but it and all my plates are buried. So I remembered Pavel talking about kettlebell sumos. So I looked through his books and found it in ROTK. Double bell sumo. Two sets of twenty.

Double kettlebell front squats and goblet squats. If you don't have a heavy bell, you can do them with a dumbell and load them right up, but you may need to place the dumbell on a bench before getting into position. I don't like the barbell squat either at my age, although I do deadlift.

The KB Jerk is a difficult move to learn but great. I started to learn it this summer but will come back to it later when my basics are stronger. You can do it with one bell. Double kettlebell push press to build and maintain full body strength.

KB complexes (for example), 3 swings, a clean, a press, a front squat, repeat in circuits. A few minutes of these after S&S. Always after s&S as I think you should do getups when you are fresh.

Touch and go sumo deadlifts for twenty reps kick my a#@

I find Janda's static vs phastic muscle concept a useful framework. Janda Philosophy

I think that batwings from Dan John (Rhomboids) are one of the most underated exercises for postural and aging issues. I also like facepulls and band pull aparts. These are not mass muscles but supporting muscles that can go weak from poor posture and/;or aging.

In the book s&s the guy Pavel mentions says all he did to build his guns was the curl at the bottom of the goblet squat. What rep count did he do? Steve Bacarri would get his guys to do crush curls

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom