all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S and weight loss/getting leaner?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

cbass

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi,

I love doing S&S. I'm definitely getting stronger, but I'm still a ways off from even the simple standard. I'm a pretty big , overweight guy (6'1", 275 pounds). I clearly need to lose some weight. It has also lead to a wealth of other health issues. I know food is a huge part of it, but from an exercise standpoint, is S&S good for getting leaner/losing weight? Should I be adding in some type of cardio? I'm nervous about over-training. Being bigger, when I'm done with a simple session, I'm pretty taxed.

Any thoughts about adding in additional cardio, or will the eventual increase in weight for my simple workouts suffice?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Consider this....

I'm nervous about over-training. Being bigger, when I'm done with a simple session, I'm pretty taxed.

A) Get medical clearance before attempting a relatively high intensity program like S & S. You mentioned that your weight has lead to a "wealth of other health issues." IMO I would take this seriously. There is no award for coming in 1st place in kettlebell swings.

B) 80% of your diet should be from whole food sources. Drink plenty of clean, plain water.

C) Go for a 30 minute brisk walk everyday.

All the best.

Lifting weights, outside of extreme examples, will not significantly affect weight. Period.

S&S only contains approximately 12 and a half minutes of actual physical "work". And about 80% of that is the getup which does not extract a high metabolic cost.

Figure out a method of calorie restriction whether it be portion control, intermittent fasting, keto, etc. Add at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity like walking or bike riding (in addition to any lifting). Figure out ways to increase your NEAT in your daily life.

Take care also that your workout doesn't reduce your NEAT

CONCLUSION
The worldwide epidemic of obesity in past decades has contributed to serious health concerns. Apart from poor diet, reduced physical activity and sedentary behavior contribute to the pathogenesis of obesity and the expression of co-morbidities such as type 2 diabetes mellitus. Non-exercise activity thermogenesis is a highly variable component of daily total energy expenditure and essentially a function of environmental and individual factors. Whether caloric overfeeding systematically affects non-exercise activity thermogenesis is a matter of debate, while a negative energy balance due to voluntary caloric restriction can decrease it. As physical activity contributes to weight maintenance and prevention of body mass regain after hypocaloric dietary interventions, increasing non-exercise activity thermogenesis could represent a promising tool for body mass control.

Hello,

As far as weight loss goes, diet is key.

First off, provided you did not follow a specific diet due to medical issue, eat clean (whole food, no refined sugar, plenty of veggies, lean meat, fishes, eggs, moderate dairy) will likely get the job done by itself. IF may even make the process faster.

Then, regarding physical expenditure, S&S is very good. It pairs well with LSD running or walking or swimming (the two latters may be more joint friendly).

Kind regards,

Pet'

I find that a bit harsh.

-S-

I didn't find it harsh, but I simply don't believe it. When I go by the talk test, it sometimes takes me up to 40 to 45 minutes to get in a simple workout. I wear a heart rate monitor, and my pulse is getting as high as 155 in between sets. I can't imagine that wouldn't in any way affect my weight. Plus, during this pandemic, I'm reading all sorts of stories about guys dramatically altering their bodies by changing nothing except how much strength training they are doing (and not changing their diets).

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I definitely know that diet is probably 80% of it. I also really like the advice of adding in a nice brisk walk every evening.

Thanks again!

@2cbass, IMHO, one of the most important variables people get wrong is the level of intensity. I am a recent convert to PlanStrong, having attended it twice and not really done much with that, I finally decided to "eat the frog," write myself something, and follow it - and guess what, those extra few pounds have left my body. It's really brilliant stuff, IMHO, and once you finally - well, "finally" in my case because others may grasp it sooner - understand it, you realize that the things it prescribes and the things it leaves up to you are just as they should be, and, well, again, it's brilliant.

Back to the subject at hand now ...

-S-

I've been on S&S with early morning sessions for all of 2020. When I've had my diet dialled in reasonably well the weight has fallen off, particularly once the 32kg started to be used. I credit this to the daily metabolic boost I get first thing in the morning, a decent amount of calories burned sets you up for a deficit.

Hello,

In all cases, diet has to be in check.

Then, there are plenty of theories, protocols, etc...

For instance:
“Dry Fighting Weight”: Fat Loss Through Strength | StrongFirst
The Armor Building Kettlebell Complex and 4 Other Beastly Strength Builders
These program does not involve "cardio" per se but is still supposed to make you leaner.

Then we can mention programs which imply some kind of "cardio" component (quick bursts): A+A, Q&D or even S&S

Then, there are also things like LSD, walking, hiking, swimming, cycling, etc...

I run IF and S&S since lockdown. Even if I am naturally fairly light, I have lost 3kg in the process

Kind regards,

Pet'

Lifting heavy-ish weights (multiple ways) is crucial during fatloss... as you start to lose weight (especially significant amounts) the weights are there to still provide mechanical tension and preserve the muscle tissue... that plays numerous factors including keeping your BMR elevated... weights dont contribute much in terms of actual calories burned, but as stated above play critical roles in other ways...

You have to obviously create a negative energy balance... diet is the biggest part of that, however, you can burn extra calories and that can help aid in not having to drastically cut your calorie level (helps with diet adherence)

I would cut the calories (most recommend no more than 500kcals at a time), keep protein intake high (helps with satiety), and try to find other ways to stay active (numerous examples above)... swings are really great for fatloss FYI so adding 10k steps a day on top of S&S is a great start

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom