all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S as "Athletic" Training (not just strength)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
As I'm not a professional anything to do with exercise, I might have the terminology wrong, but I keep thinking about why S&S has been so good for me. What I mean by "athletic" here is the idea of moving around deftly with moving objects, having to adjust balance, shift directions, maintain alertness, project power or resistance in different directions. In my own mind I'm imagining a comparison of slow heavy lifts like deadlifts or presses with S&S. For sure the slow heavy lifts also teach balance and I'm also sure they have an advantage over S&S in terms of absolute strength, but S&S resembles more a sport where you are dealing with constantly changing angles of force and a much more dramatically changing relationship with the position of the kettlebell - for both the swings and the TGUs. Thus, S&S seems to activate our athletic instincts of timing, balance, alertness. Like the S&S book says, it's a lot like doing a Karate kata when you do TGUs and a lot like wrestling when you do swings.

Based on my own experimentation and what I'm reading on these forums, I get the idea that cardio health is handled fine with hiking or running, and strength with slow, heavy lifts like deadlifts, leaving a gentle question mark for my beloved set of 8 kettlebells. I don't think there is any question that deadlifting into the 300lbs range has pushed my judo level up past what improvements I had already garnered from S&S training. Still, paring down S&S a bit made me feel like I was losing something. This "something" might not matter for judo, but judo is only one thing. But, I think I'm starting to appreciate more what "General Physical Preparedness" entails, and alertness, balance, timing all count. These things aren't so closely related to physical changes like muscle mass, but more to "technique" and to how your brain works, but I think they're super important, especially being a judo guy who can appreciate the importance of timing, balance, alertness, technique.

The main benefit to (intelligently programmed) kettlebell training is how much it carries over to other physical endeavours such as running, jumping, lifting, throwing, punching, grappling, falling down, getting up, breath mastery, endurance, recovery... I could go on. If I had to pick a blanket term to cover all of the above, 'athletic' would fit the bill.

The main benefit to (intelligently programmed) kettlebell training is how much it carries over to other physical endeavours such as running, jumping, lifting, throwing, punching, grappling, falling down, getting up, breath mastery, endurance, recovery... I could go on. If I had to pick a blanket term to cover all of the above, 'athletic' would fit the bill.
I had forgotten about the breath mastery! Breathing under the shield is something I'm using all the time at judo but I learned it from S&S TGUs.

Great observations!
I think the winning aspect of S&S is its generalistic design. It really covers all aspects of any sport speaking from a pure physical/metabolical standpoint.

After I'm done S&S I feel like I've just been through several very interesting judo matches. I don't feel the same way after either a hike or a session of slow heavy lifts.

Athleticism has so many different fronts. I think any training modality will have benefit in all fronts, but will top out at some point in othere frots - obviously, there's a limit to how much max speed training will contribute to your ability to lift something heavy off the floor, and vice versa.

Kettlebells seem to have a high top-out point across multiple domains, relative to other modalities. That's the definition of "bang for the buck".

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom