all posts post new thread

training to support bjj

...and my shoulder wasn't great after the swings. I've been listening to a couple interviews with Keith Baar, and it got me thinking about whether what I've got going on is a muscle issue, or a tendon one. Now that it's been over a month, I'm starting to wonder if it isn't the latter. If so, then maybe upper body ballistics aren't really what's called for. So I thought I'd try a PTTP session & see how I felt:

press 60x5, 55x5
deadlift 155x5, 150x5
curl 50x5, 45x5

The shoulder felt fine on all of those, and hasn't felt worse in the meantime, so I'm cautiously optimistic that this could be a reasonable approach for now.

PTTP #2

For once, the shoulder was fine after a training session. Here's hoping it's not a fluke. I was surprised what a relief it was to walk around the rest of the day after training and not have that injury nagging at me, it felt like I was making progress instead of moving backwards.

• press 65x5, 65x5 (forgot to drop 10%)
  • DL 165x5, 150x5 (trying 10lb jumps for the first time)
  • curl 55x5, 50x5

Beforehand, I reviewed the press technique in PTTP Pro. I've never done the start-by-lifting-elbows technique, and was surprised at how easy that made the lifts go up. Eager to see how this translates once it gets heavier.

PTTP #2

For once, the shoulder was fine after a training session. Here's hoping it's not a fluke. I was surprised what a relief it was to walk around the rest of the day after training and not have that injury nagging at me, it felt like I was making progress instead of moving backwards.

• press 65x5, 65x5 (forgot to drop 10%)
  • DL 165x5, 150x5 (trying 10lb jumps for the first time)
  • curl 55x5, 50x5

Beforehand, I reviewed the press technique in PTTP Pro. I've never done the start-by-lifting-elbows technique, and was surprised at how easy that made the lifts go up. Eager to see how this translates once it gets heavier.

PTTP Pro is a gold mine. Glad your shoulder feels better!

PTTP #4

messed around with a few 20# windmills the other day, and had some shoulder soreness after. I think I'm starting to at least narrow down what kind of stuff the shoulder is & isn't up for. The PTTP presses continue to be fine.
  • press 75x5, 65x5
  • DL 185x5, 165x5
  • curl 65x4, 60x5
DLs feeling pretty light. Tempting to do some bigger jumps, but at 10# a session, it'll be heavy (for me) soon enough.

PTTP #6
  • press 70x5, 65x5.
  • DL 205x5, 185x5.
  • curl 55x5, 50x5.

Tried a pullup later in the day, and while it felt fine at the time, shoulder soreness kicked in an hour or so later. Glad I've stumbled on pressing and deadlifting as they seem to be some of the few movements I can get away with right now.

Good to finally be over 200# for the deadlifts. Will be interesting to see how the next week goes, as the DL weights should start to be more challenging.

Last edited:
PTTP #9
  • press 85x5, 75x5.
  • DL 235x5, 210x5.
  • curl 65x5, 60x5.
5th rep of the 85# press set was probably my last, so I didn't quite leave one in the bank. Still, that's about how 80# felt the first time I hit it this cycle. I'll do one more step back this cycle, and see how far I get.

DL starting to feel significant. Lots of points to remember, and probably just need some time to reacquaint myself with the weight.

Got an extra rep at 65# on the curls vs. last time, so that's progress. Not sure if I had another rep in me at that point or not.

PTTP #11
  • press 80x5, 70x5.
  • DL 255x5, 230x5.
  • curl 70x3, 60x5.
some twinges in the knee during deadlifts. I'm into the second week of my fall ultimate frisbee season, which puts quite a bit of stress on my legs, so I may have to switch things up before long. I'll give it a few more sessions before deciding. At least my shoulder's fine.

I read that you were doing Bear but separately dl and presses. How often the plan should be done within a week? Does x2 sessions are okay?

The most common guidelines I found for the Bear were 2 pressing sessions and 1 dl session per week. Could do both pressing sessions the same (eg. bench press), or one bench and one overhead press.

PTTP #12
  • press 45x3, 85x5, 75x5. 5th rep at 85# pretty slow, a little better than last step. Will take 90# for a spin next.
  • DL 135x3, 205x3, 265x5, 240x5. Knee felt better.
  • curl 50x5, 45x5. start of a new curl cycle after only getting 3 reps at 70#.
The DL was my 5RM when I tested earlier this year. I hit 285# for 5 after a few PTTP cycles last year, so curious to see where this cycle ends up.

PTTP #13
  • press 75x3, 90x4, 80x5. Doubt I had a 5th rep, so I think I'll call this cycle here.
  • DL 205x3, 235x3, 275x5, 245x5. Pretty sure that was my 5RM, the last rep was a real grind. The back-off set of 245# was surprisingly heavy.
  • curl 55x5, 50x5.
continuing to have a hard time figuring out when to stop sets with a rep still in the bank.

PTTP #14
  • bridge press 65x5, 95x5, 105x5. Shoulder's been fine lately so I'm switching things up for this cycle.
  • DL 235x5, 210x5. Knee was sore after last session, and I didn't see the point in pushing the cycle further. Proved to be a good decision as I had a hard ultimate game this weekend, and even 235# today felt plenty heavy.
  • curl 55x5, 50x5.

Back
Top Bottom