all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S avoiding the glycolytic system

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Mark Kidd

Besides the issues addressed with mitochondria and ability to maintain high training frequency there is also the stress placed on the adrenal glands and "fight or flight" response that HIIT or other similar glocolytic protocols can induce.

If you're training more than 3 times per week, pushing hard into glycolitic work each time is not a great idea. It's a reliable pathway to burn-out and overtraining.

But isn't swing, rest, swing, rest....HIIT? I thought that was a good thing...

Hello,

@Mark Kidd
HIIT "principle" is doing max reps in 20 - 25s, then full rest for 10s. You repeat this 8 to 10 times. So it is a 4 - 5 minutes effort.

MAF is longer, with lower intensity.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Mark Kidd
HIIT "principle" is doing max reps in 20 - 25s, then full rest for 10s. You repeat this 8 to 10 times. So it is a 4 - 5 minutes effort.

MAF is longer, with lower intensity.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Not really sure how you use a heart rate monitor with kettlebells. Mind you I also haven't really looked into them.

Just to get stronger with more endurance. Hope to get SFG 1 on day.
Just to get stronger with more endurance is kind of vague (not being critical, so please don't take it the wrong way) On the other hand getting SFG1 is a goal that has some serious meat to it. I think that is great. And it goes without saying you are in the right spot to get advice and help along that path. Keep at it and Stay Strong

Just to get stronger with more endurance is kind of vague (not being critical, so please don't take it the wrong way) On the other hand getting SFG1 is a goal that has some serious meat to it. I think that is great. And it goes without saying you are in the right spot to get advice and help along that path. Keep at it and Stay Strong
Fair enough. I have an 11 month old son who is 26lbs (he's been 95th percentile or off the charts thus far) who loves it when I "swing" him like a kettlebell or press him over my head. I want to do that for as long as possible. I want to have the energy to keep up with him. That is my main goal.

Fair enough. I have an 11 month old son who is 26lbs (he's been 95th percentile or off the charts thus far) who loves it when I "swing" him like a kettlebell or press him over my head. I want to do that for as long as possible. I want to have the energy to keep up with him. That is my main goal.
That's a good goal Mark. (I have an 11 month old as well...but he's a grandson)

Hello,

@offwidth
+1

That is always good to vary (from time to time, on a variety day for e.g.). It forces your body to adapt.

In "real situation", glycolysis is commonly used:
=> when you have to sprint to get your train / bus or something
=> combat sport
=> globally, all short and intense activities.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@offwidth
+1

That is always good to vary (from time to time, on a variety day for e.g.). It forces your body to adapt.

In "real situation", glycolysis is commonly used:
=> when you have to sprint to get your train / bus or something
=> combat sport
=> globally, all short and intense activities.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Indeed. I've often found my self in some pretty 'real situations'

Hello,

Exactly. It does not appear in my log, but I still do, twice a week 2 Tabata burpees (25s on - 10s off, 10 times) as a glycolitic training.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Not really sure how you use a heart rate monitor with kettlebells. Mind you I also haven't really looked into them.

CMarker mentioned it on the 1st page. Use a HR monitor and try to stay below your Maffetone number (180-age). Do a set of swings trying not to go above this number, recover and start again. You probably will need fewer than 10 swings, depending on the weight of course.

Regards

CMarker mentioned it on the 1st page. Use a HR monitor and try to stay below your Maffetone number (180-age). Do a set of swings trying not to go above this number, recover and start again. You probably will need fewer than 10 swings, depending on the weight of course.

Regards

I don't get how you look at one and swing efficiently. I'm missing something.

@Mark Kidd these are modern, full-featured devices. You can set an alarm in some. You can also just look during your rest periods. They save and store data.

-S-

Since when has 'glycolysis' become a new swearword?

A certainly hope it's not viewed that way on this forum (and if it is I haven't seen it). I just think that it's a wise true-ism that if you follow high frequency training (like S&S) you need to minimize your time in glycolysis for long term health and success.

Anyone who has taken their conditioning to a high enough level to allow for the possibility of a real "adrenal hormone surge" through the body's fight or flight response, and then proceeded to do that a couple of times per week for several months...well that person probably knows first hand why that's a bad idea. Personally I don't see anything wrong with glycolitic work or HIIT so long as it's used responsibly to increase health and support training goals.

The fitter you become the more you have to respect high intensity glycolitic work because you become more capable of giving your physiology a "higher dose" in one training session. It's strong medicine that when abused can break you down.

@Mark Kidd these are modern, full-featured devices. You can set an alarm in some. You can also just look during your rest periods. They save and store data.

-S-

Would the alarm be to you when you are about to go out of a range? Do these ones cost an arm and a leg?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom