all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S ballistic before grind?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It would all depend upon what your goals might be. How well trained/detained you are. What other activities or possibly sports you might engage in.
The answer could be none...

What type of endurance work could be done after the get ups?
Any type of endurance work, or other work, can be done after the getups if you wish. The point I tried to make in the post to which I gave you a link is that S&S swings demand maximum explosiveness, and when training multiple attributes/traits in a single session, that's a quality we need to work on before pure strength. Pure strength, in turn, gets worked on before strength-endurance or pure endurance so as long as you're keeping to that order, you should be OK.

And as S&S states, once you're acquired some proficiency at it, you can do it less often in order to devote more of your training energy to your chosen sport or other athletic activity.

-S-

All very interesting. What differentiates endurance swings from power swings? If it's in the books I apologize as I have both loaned out. I would assume that the swing is always done hard style which I would have to believe is a power move. So if we are talking endurance is it more of a programming change? More volume with other factors considered such as heart rate during the session? Thanks in advance.

All very interesting. What differentiates endurance swings from power swings? If it's in the books I apologize as I have both loaned out. I would assume that the swing is always done hard style which I would have to believe is a power move. So if we are talking endurance is it more of a programming change? More volume with other factors considered such as heart rate during the session? Thanks in advance.
It's in the approach, @banzaiengr . GS style swings are endurance swings; a little less hard style than S&S swings are what's appropriate in the Program Minimum and the ROP because you'll already have a fair amount of fatigue from your pressing. ROP/PM swings might also be done with more work and less rest, possibly with a lighter weight - it's a different thing.

-S-

It's in the approach, @banzaiengr . GS style swings are endurance swings; a little less hard style than S&S swings are what's appropriate in the Program Minimum and the ROP because you'll already have a fair amount of fatigue from your pressing. ROP/PM swings might also be done with more work and less rest, possibly with a lighter weight - it's a different thing.

-S-
Thank you Steve

books have a really hard time to come back home again. Is it because, they have no feet?

You would have thought I would have learned my lesson when I loaned out Bill Pearl's "Keys to the Inner Universe" many years ago. I think that was a thirty or forty dollar book even back then and would have bought a lot of diapers. : ) I'm a slow learner.

books have a really hard time to come back home again. Is it because, they have no feet?

You would have thought I would have learned my lesson when I loaned out Bill Pearl's "Keys to the Inner Universe" many years ago. I think that was a thirty or forty dollar book even back then and would have bought a lot of diapers. : ) I'm a slow learner.

Yeah, experience has taught me that if I "lend" a book to someone, I should just consider it a gift. Now, if a book is important to me, I will only lend it out if I know it can be replaced, and then I immediately buy myself a replacement copy.

A little late to the party I guess but many programs place exercises that are power based such as a barbell clean or snatch first in a workout because doing power based movements when fatigued makes them less efficient. I assume this is the premise behind S&S??

A little late to the party I guess but many programs place exercises that are power based such as a barbell clean or snatch first in a workout because doing power based movements when fatigued makes them less efficient. I assume this is the premise behind S&S??
In a word, yes. It's more complicated than that, but that's the basic idea. You need to be freshest for the things with the highest skill and explosiveness components. It's not about efficiency - you'll move less weight and increase your risk of injury if you try to do heavy, explosive movements when you're fatigued.

-S-

I guess it's fair to say that back a few years ago the swing portion of ETK was utilized as a conditioning move wherein many higher rep sets were common. Higher rep meaning 20 plus reps. S&S seems to focus on the power aspect of the swing which would probably diminish when doing the high rep sets.

Yeah, experience has taught me that if I "lend" a book to someone, I should just consider it a gift. Now, if a book is important to me, I will only lend it out if I know it can be replaced, and then I immediately buy myself a replacement copy.
Absolutely true! I live by this rule as well!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom