all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S bell up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rbt

Level 1 Valued Member
Happy holidays everyone,
I'm having trouble moving up from a 24kg bell to the 32kg bell with one arm swings. I can complete the 100 reps in 5min one arm swings with the 24kg but I am only able to do 1 set of 10 reps each arm with the 32kg on a good day! After the first 2 sets of 10 I have been switching to two arm swings for the remaining 8 sets. I am able to complete 10 get ups with the 32kg
around the 12 min mark. I've been practicing 3 or 4 times a week.
Any suggestions on how I can change my practice to be able to handle the one arm swing with the 32kg?
Thanks

Keep with one set of 10 per side with the 32 until you feel you can add a second set.

Example for now: 24x10+10, 32x10+10, 24x10+10 for remaining sets. (This comes to 80 reps with the 24 and 20 with the 32.)
Example for when you're ready: 24x10+10, 32x10+10 for two sets, 24x10+10 for remaining sets. (Now 60 reps with the 24 and 40 with the 32.)

Stick with the first example for as long as prudent, then move up when you feel ready. S&S is not a forced-results program. You may consider resting longer before attempting a second set with the 32.

Keep with one set of 10 per side with the 32 until you feel you can add a second set.

Example for now: 24x10+10, 32x10+10, 24x10+10 for remaining sets. (This comes to 80 reps with the 24 and 20 with the 32.)
Example for when you're ready: 24x10+10, 32x10+10 for two sets, 24x10+10 for remaining sets. (Now 60 reps with the 24 and 40 with the 32.)

Stick with the first example for as long as prudent, then move up when you feel ready. S&S is not a forced-results program. You may consider resting longer before attempting a second set with the 32.

Do one set with 32, the remaining sets with 24. Once the 32 feels comfortable you can add a second set.

Another option is once the set of 32 is comfy, do 5/5 for a second set and finish the remaining sets, reps with 24.

Once this gets comfortable, do 32 10/10 for 2 sets..

Make sense?

@Rbt, consider this option:

Simple & Sinister: Getting from Two- to One-Hand Swings - StrongFirst

Coincidently I was at the point with the 32 where I had reached the limits of my grip and Steve Friedes posted this on cue. Telepathic maybe! Helped me complete the numbers. I think I had built up to about 6 sets of 10 with the 32 and was stuck. This method spreads the load, sparing grip fatigue. It will make sense when you read it.

I am at the same point as you in the program, beginning to work the 32kg into the swings. One thing that worked for me to get through a sticking point was to set the 32 aside for a couple of weeks and just focus on the 24kg for a while. When I picked up the 32 again, I had gone from being able to only do 5 somewhat suspect reps at a time to solid sets of ten.

It seems that swings are one of those exercises, like the deadlift, where you can improve your max with consistent submaximal work. I had no idea that the 24 had anything left to offer me, but it did.

If you only want to work with just one bell for whatever reason. You can play with the numbers of reps per set and really focus on being explosive. Like doing 5 reps each side for all sets and in the middle set adding a rep and then as that becomes easier bring the reps of the other sets up.
I know it's not the program as written staying with 10 reps each side. But it's just another way I've discovered to skin this particular critter.

Reactions: Rbt
Do one set with 32, the remaining sets with 24. Once the 32 feels comfortable you can add a second set.

Another option is once the set of 32 is comfy, do 5/5 for a second set and finish the remaining sets, reps with 24.

Once this gets comfortable, do 32 10/10 for 2 sets..

Make sense?

Pretty much as Mark stated worked well for me. 24K R/L, 32 R/L, 24 R/L, 24 R/L, 24 R/L. Then as you get comfortable with one set go to 2 sets with the 32.

I wouldn't discourage you from adding more volume with the 24 either. Maybe something like once per week doing 15 sets with the 24 and working up to 20.

Reactions: Rbt
Shorter sets with the 32 ie 4x5 rather than 2x10?

I've been following a programme like that using a 40 kg bell and I could swing that fine for 10 reps now. It would have trashed my grip to start doing sets of 10 straight away.

I'm trying to 'make the move' from 32kg to 40kg. Yesterday, I conducted a S&S practice session consisting of 20 sets of 5 swings @ 40kg. I focused on really good form (power production) and managed to maintain a HR at 180-age for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, I did my 100 swings at a weight I can't yet do 100 swings in 10min w/. Plus, I felt a LOT stronger on my get-ups (at 32kg / 24kg depending on the day). Also of note, I felt really great the rest of the day and the first half of this day.

So give Al's 20 sets of 5 protocol a try. Once that is easy, I think he recommends going for 14 sets of 7 (98 reps / 14 min). As that get's easier, gradually try to do it in 10 minutes. Eventually, you'll be able to do it in 5 minutes.

Focus on and enjoy the process. Keep the goal in mind, but don't get 'summit fever.' Most of the times I've hurt myself it's been b/c I was focused too much on my goal and didn't respect the process. I moved up in weight or reps b/c my plan said it was time too, even though I wasn't ready. The best ability is AVAILABILITY.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom