all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S: Beyond the beast

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Each and every time I see the handle / sphere size ratio I want to hug that thing and close my eyes and feel the warmth of love!

Impressive but she's not a kettlebell. ;)
I just want to get a feel for what's realistic for a KB. Even if someone could TGU a 96kg person or barbell I bet the offset would be too great to overcome with a kettlebell of the same weight.
I have seen it explained somewhere (can't remember where at the moment) that once a getup nears a certain percentage of bodyweight, the mechanics change. A good goal for being really strong is something less than bodyweight but more than half, e.g., compare the bodyweight of the lifter and the lifted in these bodyweight getup videos. A 90 kg man could certainly aim for a 60 kg getup, IMO.

-S-

I was regularly training get ups with my 64kg/141lb monster bell. I have a 56kg I can do reps with at anytime, that is about half body weight.

They are both surprisingly comfortable on the wrist for such large bells.

Last edited:
@Football Bat have you checked out his whole channel? That guy is a monster too... Look at his double 32s complexes and you'll most probably be amazed...

I was regularly training get ups with my 64kg/141lb monster bell. I have a 56kg I can do reps with at anytime, that is about half body weight.

The they are both surprisingly comfortable on the wrist for such large bells.

Oddly enough, my 16kg bell is by far the most uncomfortable bell I've done TGUs with, as it seems to often sit directly on a bone.

@kbell12 I feel the same way about a 70lb kettlebell I have. The length of the handle makes the leverage terrible, and the bell sits on the wrist not the forearm. It's more of a test of wrist strength and pain tolerance than anything else.

Yea I notice the bigger bells are a lot easier on the wrist
Anyway do any of you use partial TGUs to work in the next bell up? How did you mix them into your workout?

have you checked out his whole channel? That guy is a monster too... Look at his double 32s complexes and you'll most probably be amazed...
what some guys do is one thing, and how they do it is another thing. Bronislaw is a very strong guy, and builds is strength on some great mobility. Double-32kg-lockout-full-range-of-motion-a#@-to-the-grass-squats. And he Sotts-press them.
Look what I found. Holy s***!
cool stuff.

@Harald Motz exactly that! The first time I saw the complex you mentioned, I had to pick up my jaw from the floor... Plus, the get up shown in @Football Bat's post were he lifts the 80 kg bell was performed at a competition held in Poland by what I think is the "flagship" gym for StrongFirst in the Country... The fun fact is that I think I remember that Bronislaw wasn't even the winner! I'll try to find their YouTube channel, because the avarage technique of the Instructors is quite high, in my opinion.

There are few channels worth watching on the Tube, but once you find them, the knowledge a novice like me can gather and then analyze with a local SFG is ample. One is, for example, @Harald Motz's own one! :) Bronislaw's Sotts press is certainly a spectacular feat of strength, but your double 40 kg Z press (if I remember correctly) is something I have to scretch my eyes to everytime I see it!

Anyway do any of you use partial TGUs to work in the next bell up? How did you mix them into your workout?

Sir, if I remember correctly, Ms Renata Music had the following tips for the next bell up...
Start with just a few parts of the entire movement, especially if the bell simply "floors" you, i.e.
-work on just the press and roll to elbow, back to the ground
-get the bell over your head any way you can (push press, etc.) and work on your lockout. Maybe move from there to a backwards lunge and back to standing
-practice some TUT (time under tension) with a lighter bell, holding each phase of movement for a few (relative to you) seconds (a word of caution, I believe the TUT can severely tax the CNS, so don't overdo it)

I followed the above when I got my heaviest bell, it took some time, but after a few months I could do a solid GU without going for a ride on the down portion.

I hope some of this was helpful.

...I always thought the football bat was the big red kind from wiffleball... =]

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom