all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S Breathing technique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Todd Friedrich

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi everyone,

I recently bought and started using the S&S program, but I felt like the explanation of the breathing technique was a bit confusing to me. I was wondering if anyone could clarify the technique? I see a lot about forcing air out on the upswing of the kettlebell, but I'm not sure what's going on there. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Inhale on the backswing, exhale at the hip snap. Think of it like a punch. It's not an open mouth exhale, but abdominal-pressure creating power breathing. You've probably seen SF videos of KB swings (or any other move really) and hear hissing on the exhale - that's power breathing.

Take a short, powerful sniff of air with your nose when the kettlebell comes down. Then, right when you need the most power to propel it up, let out a powerful "sh" by blowing through your narrowly open mouth. Repeat as long as you swing. Keep proper pressure in your midsection at all times.

It took me a bit of time to get it, but when you exhale, the goal is not to make the sound "tsss" or "shhh". The goal is to force air with your belly through a small opening in the mouth, which will result in the sound "tsss" or "shhh", but as a side effect, not as the goal. To achieve that, you must use your abs.

@Sean M @Antti @Manuel Fortin thanks for the advise. The whole thing was a little strange for me, but I think I get it now. I actually just used it on my S&S session this morning and it felt great. I had originally thought I'd be gasping for air doing it, but I didn't. It was like forcibly releasing all the energy I'd built up from the downswing coming back up.

There are a ton of variations on this. It is similar to the Valsalva method of restricting breath, forceful exhale upon striking common to pretty much all MA and fighting sports, and the G-LOC breathing done by stunt pilots. It becomes pretty instinctive - to some extent it already is, one just needs to get the timing down.

This type of breath strategy is also effective for countering orthostatic hypotension (head rush), while increasing structural support in the lower torso it also increases BP.

I feel like just now getting simple with the 32 on the swings I can feel how much the breath matters.

It certainly feels like much more of a shield on the down swing and a extra boost on the up swing.

Maybe a strange tip here but try to breath into your balls. I heard this somewhere else. Don't aim for your diaghram with the breath but further, deep, deep down low in your body on the down swing. Feel the pocket of air inside you be a cushion then use it as a force to explode up with.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom