all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S by accident

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Halfakneecap

Level 6 Valued Member
Long story short, due to lockdown restrictions here in aus, I grabbed S&S on a whim to try at home. I have done some barbell lifting since snapping my kneecap ( 2014 ) but it’s been getting a bit stale, and my conditioning sucks.
S&S looks perfect for what I’m after. Just read through it and I’ve unknowingly already been doing 10x10 with a 20kg since last week ( restrictions) and I’ve already decided to ditch the gym. Looking forward to S&S.

My knee may give me issues with the get ups, as kneeling is quite painful but I have a rubber mat and padded knee sleeves so hopefully I’ll be ok

Mark

Welcome! Your story is very similar to mine. Discovering S&S was a transformative moment in my life. If you stick with the program as a humble and teachable student I think you will find yourself changed for the better. Strength to you!

Does the step over version cause you trouble as well? If yes ,then half getups are fine

Thanks guys! I’ve just bought a padded knee sleeve, I think it’ll be do able but good to know there are alternatives. I have a 24kg bell which should be here this week, but for now I’ll just keep doing it with the 20kg bell and start practicing the get up unweighted

So I got some knee sleeves ( mcdavid ). While I’m pretty comfortable with the swings, I tried get ups for the first time today. Very humbling ! I barely managed with a 3kg dumbbell!. The transition from side plank type position to bringing the knee through is do able but not exactly smooth, and I end facing 45deg away from where I started.

I’m a big fan of trap bar carries and I can carry body weight (100kg ) x 25m for a couple of reps, and I thought I had reasonable core strength and mobility. Completely wrong ! Oh well, more reason to practise I suppose. Very humbling

Ok so the swing progression I’m fairly comfortable with. One handed swings with the 20 and 2 sets of 24kg every time.

Get ups, wow!. I’m right at the beginning here. I have gone to 8kg bell, but I’m just doing 5 reps at each stage, then finishing with a getup, 3 times each side. I think I’m better off just doing this for a good month before even thinking about adding weight. Also, I’m gassed after each set haha.
Getting down is terrible, again, I think I just need to get used to the movement before I add that in.

My biceps tendinitis has pretty much gone though, and I feel more mobile. Fitness has increased too. Loving the simplicity

Very humbling ! I barely managed with a 3kg dumbbell!
One easy way I can humble myself in the get up is to go for the sloth motion get up.
Just trying that tai-chi-like slow-motion-pace revealed some weaknesses in my practice at all stages all the way through simple, to today.
Even with a shoe balanced atop my fist. It never fails to show me how much further I have to go.

My 32kg kb came yesterday. I’ve been doing barbell stuff for a while, and while my strength is far from impressive, in my mind 32kg doesn’t seem heavy. But, when it’s concentrated into a little ball, woah! I won’t try to swing it for a while, I’m still working in the 24, but jeez, it’s hefty!.

I’m getting the hang of one arm swings now. I found if I look down on the way down I have better ROM, or at least it feels that way. I think I can do 10x10 with 24, but I’m waiting for the one handed swings with the 20 to be easy. Just two weeks of doing the one handed swings I’ve seen a big improvement in the movement. I’ve done 6 or 7 sessions with 2 sets of 24kg 2H, which is no trouble, and the rest have been one hand 20kg. I’m trying not to rush through upping the weight til I’m comfortable with the one handed swings.

Please post a video.

-S-
Next session I will take a video and post it. I googled neck position for swings and found generally looking down wasnt advised, so last 2 sessions I’ve just looked ahead. I just found if I look around 4 feet in front of me when the bell is about to go through my legs it feels as though I can get more rom.

I’m not really keen on YouTube accounts etc ( I’m a bit of an old fashioned grumpy old man haha ) though I realise it would be much easier. I’ve attached 2 pics of the bottom position, one with me looking to the horizon, and one where I’m looking at a point a few feet off the ground ( if that makes sense). My thigh angle doesn’t seem too much different but I’m definitely open to any advice. Both ways feel fine.

FDC4F3AF-A8A0-4E30-A6E5-B3146717B7F4.jpegB9C3F4D3-8B32-4F70-BD08-6D34A7C152E7.jpeg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom