all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S + Cardio: How do you do it?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oscar

Level 7 Valued Member
I know many recommend and do cardio in addition to S&S. I´m curious how you organize it and if you liked the results.

Below a quote from Pavel, posted by @Bret S. :

"Here is the rule of thumb of aerobic training before or after strength training. if you are focusing on neural adaptations, do strength work first (or the day before) when you are fresh. If you are focusing on hypertrophy, you can lift after LSD (same or next day) and it is best to avoid LSD (except very easy work) for 48 hours".

"S&S is a program that combines various adaptations: strength, power, hypertrophy, endurance. As such, it can go either way."

I know many recommend and do cardio in addition to S&S. I´m curious how you organize it and if you liked the results.

Below a quote from Pavel, posted by @Bret S. :

"Here is the rule of thumb of aerobic training before or after strength training. if you are focusing on neural adaptations, do strength work first (or the day before) when you are fresh. If you are focusing on hypertrophy, you can lift after LSD (same or next day) and it is best to avoid LSD (except very easy work) for 48 hours".

"S&S is a program that combines various adaptations: strength, power, hypertrophy, endurance. As such, it can go either way."
Man, how is it that I miss things like this?? Everytime I see a quote from S&S I don't recognize, I want to go back and re-read it. Currently, I'm doing VWC and I alternate it in 2 week blocks with a rest day in the middle and at the end of each week:

Week 1 ABABA
Week 2 BABAB

The quote above was originally posted by @krg and I'm not sure it originates from the S&S book, just wanted to be clear on that. I, like @Ryan T do the VWC work on separate days and usually exclusive of any other substantial training that day as it's very demanding on it's own.
Pure by the book S&S training is something I don't do regularly at this time, I like to get my swings in cluster sets and do getups of many loads and varieties interspersed throughout the week.

When I did get-ups, swings and goblets (HKC) and trail running I usually did it on separate days.

This time around I’ve found a more complete approach to strength training to excell my running (>21km) by following a program from Max Shank. Love it so far!

Planning to do them on alternate days, as I did it in the past too.

Keep one thing in mind: S&S is used as the foundation of your training. Meaning it’s something to get you ready for other programs. Pavel states this as much in the book. He mentions how it’s a great foundational program. That being said, the program only gives you plenty of conditioning. Another point, it isn’t necessary to be a cardio king. Get strong, this program will give you plenty of both.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom