all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S Consecutive Get-ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

cmerrow

Level 6 Valued Member
I seem to remember somebody saying lighter consecutive TGUs are effective in helping one jump weight on the S&S plan, which I’ve been doing for a very long time now.

I’m “stuck” at 53 lbs and can’t make 70.

If I do TGUs in the manner above, should I still stick to a total of 10 reps (e.g. 3x3 each side and then 2x2 each side), or is a total volume increase recommended?

Also, how many days a week might I do this?

Thank you for any advice!

I agree with @Oscar, what is your sticking point? Also, can you comfortably and safely do your 53lb getups in 10 min?

Maybe try (with a spotter if you feel you need it) to break the heavier weight down in stages....such as just laying on the back, and bringing it up with both hands to the arm overhead position and getting comfortable with where the larger bell needs to sit relative to your shoulder, then bring it back down. Next work on the roll to elbow, then getting to the knee and hand on ground with bell overhead, etc. Perhaps you can practice this only when you are very fresh, once or twice a day not in the same session as your S&S workout when you are already fatiguing.

@cmerrow - The biggest thing that helped me with moving up with the get up was heavy partials. I would do several bottom 1/2 get ups with a 32 or 36 and then do several top 1/2 were I snatch or press a 32 or 36 and then lower to the lunge position. They helped me quite a bit.

My “sticking point” is actually just handling the 70, period! I can swing it without any issues, but the furthest I can get with the GU is the Roll-to-Press.

It makes sense that I just need to get used to the weight. Just exploring some options and seeing what has helped others in the past.

My “sticking point” is actually just handling the 70, period! I can swing it without any issues, but the furthest I can get with the GU is the Roll-to-Press.

It makes sense that I just need to get used to the weight. Just exploring some options and seeing what has helped others in the past.
In that case maybe you are not ready yet for the 32. How long have you been with the 24?

First off, I'd get lots more reps of the 24kg under your belt. If you're like me, there's no magic bullet or hack besides doing lots of reps. Can you do all 10 reps in 10-15 minutes? I'd try to get in at least 20 sessions or more of doing your 10 reps with the 24kg before trying to work in a rep of the 32kg. If you still have trouble, work on partials while still getting in more reps of the 24kg. BTW, I prefer 4kg jumps, 8kg will need a lot more patience. Good luck!

I've written about this elsewhere around here, and recently too, but I would say build up the time under tension for your getups.

Get to the point where you're doing a 10 second pause at each step of the getup, and then try to incorporate the heavier weight. This method has served me very well.

Another thing that has helped is taking time off S&S and doing some pressing and squatting.

The "trick" is to manipulate the parameters for the TGU, this can be done in many ways,:
1) Multiple TGU's for same side.
2) Longer pauses or slower transitions.
3) Bracing and gripping harder.

With regards to reps and sets for the multiple TGU's method, what worked for me was 3x2 and/or ladder of 123. There is also an "old school" benchmark from Bret Jones mentioned in an article "once you can do 1x5 with one bell, you are ready to move up".

I have 14 months of S&S behind me now. I was stuck with my 26kg bell, which I owned for get ups and could hit time standards with every day if I wanted.

I could do a get up with my 32kg, but as I tried to make the transition to use it daily, my sticking point was recovering from it day to day even if I did only a couple of reps with it. I didnt get sore but I wasnt feeling as strong the next day. So maybe my nervous system was still recovering... Not en expert. :) Even if I did a lighter day in between it just wasnt there doing more than 1-2 reps/arm with 32kg during a session.

Recently I have experimented with ETK PM but doing it 4 to 6 days a week and keeping tgu’s the way they are done in S&S. Im noticing that now as I do get ups only 2-3 times a week I can handle 32kg every session.

Im not saying you should change for this (not saying you shouldnt try it either), but I think this helps me to eventually own the 32kg. If nothing else, at least on a mental level, as now I have done all 10 get ups with 32kg and I know I can do it.

If I could go back like 6 months from now when I first tried to make the transition to 32kg, I would drop the frequency from 5-6 times a week to 3-4 times a week. I know its suggested to do 5-6 sessions a week until simple and if one decides to go for sinister, then drop to 3-4 times a week, but maybe for myself this point was 26kg and not 32kg...

Can you pause 3-5 seconds per step with the 53lber and do all 10 getups in this fashion?

I personally prefer:

- paused get-ups (pause 5-10 secs in each phase on the way up, on the way down, or both).
- consecutive half-get ups - doubles or triples, eg. 2x(roll to press, roll to elbow, tall sit, back to the floor).
- repeating just the most difficult part with a lighter weight - e.g. low sweep: do a regular get-up, all the way to low sweep, and repeat the low sweep 3x.
- get-downs - you will find the best angles on the way down, that's why I always do them twice as slowly as get-ups. During my next set, I try to remember the angles and just reverse the movement.
- instead of doing full consecutive get-ups, just do more single get-ups (eg. 12, 14, 16... ) - more quality movement practice without getting tired.

I seem to remember somebody saying lighter consecutive TGUs are effective in helping one jump weight on the S&S plan, which I’ve been doing for a very long time now.

I’m “stuck” at 53 lbs and can’t make 70.

If I do TGUs in the manner above, should I still stick to a total of 10 reps (e.g. 3x3 each side and then 2x2 each side), or is a total volume increase recommended?

Also, how many days a week might I do this?

Thank you for any advice!
Is there a specific spot in the get-up with 32kg that you get stuck? Like, can you get to your palm in the tall sit position and then you can't get any further?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom