all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S Continuous Swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Today's effort with the non-stop swings -- http://youtu.be/JvOqP64zRgc

I was initially disappointed because I had so much less than last time, but I was doing a lot more of an honest swing today than I did 2 weeks ago.  Kind of a "lite" version on the last attempt, and I kept going longer, but I'm thinking what I did today is more what's intended.  I did forget to work in the 2H swings until 100-110, then when I went back to 1H it was definitely over.  So I ended up with 111 swings in 3:10, with the 20 kg.

Overall it was quite different from last time, so my question is, am I doing this right??  Welcome any comments and critiques...

Did you mean form-wise? It’s hard to tell from that angle (side is best) but it does look like you might be bending over a little much. Try the Dan John wall drills and see if it changes things: http://bit.ly/1xIA2U9 But I’m just a knucklehead, not a trainer, and and it’s a hard angle.

If you mean the non-stop swings, it seems like you’re doing great! You’ve improved a lot since your first post. Focus on the daily practice of S&S and the reps will keep piling up. My intuition says to avoid 2h swings entirely, let one hand’s grip rest entirely, but I haven’t tried it both ways.

Phil, thanks!  Here is a better angle on the swings, from a couple of weeks ago http://youtu.be/NAhhUuLkZ3E, and I welcome any form critiques -- I'm currently working on a few aspects like breathing through the nose, and staying connected to the bell at the top of the swing (thanks, Al) -- but I guess what I'm asking is which technique is more beneficial with these non-stop swings?  Last time felt more like what Pavel said "swings should still be explosive, although take a lot less effort.  Like an experienced fighter who decides to work on a bag for 10min or more and is having a good time".  I can do lighter swings for twice as long or more.  Meaning, same weight, but not as hard of a swing.  But if the swings are more like daily practice swings, 100 is a LOT.  Just wondering which type is more intended for the S&S program.

Anna,

Hey, that space looks familiar ;]

Technique:

- now that we finally have you dropping your trunk, you may be going just a tad low.  Short stop.  Not horizontal, less than 45 - sit back and feel it.  Tight.

- get your forearm higher up into your crotch

- wait just a bit longer before you hinge into the backswing

- plank hard, and stay planked until you hinge back.  You're doing this, "plank, then modified athletic position" thing.

- stay connected at the top of the swing

These are details ... you've made excellent progress.

Programming:

- yes, each swing is still explosive, but it will feel like less effort exerted because the load is lighter.

A little songbird in my phone reported that you got a 32 GU left and right yesterday ... after missing once.  Tremendous effort!  Keep it up.  You're truly an example of how one can recreate herself.

Anna,

Al hit pretty much everything I would say.

One other thing I notice is that you tend to roll onto the outside of your feet on the downswing and you have some funky lateral movement of your right knee during your left handed swings (such as starting at 1:01 in the most recent video from post 42345). The knee movement is more obvious on that side, since it's facing the camera, and only happens on your left handed swings. I can't tell if the same thing is happening on the other knee with your right handed swings.

You might want to experiment with a narrower stance and with your foot turnout to see if you can find a better balance and alignment.

But overall, its a solid swing and excellent effort. IMO, the level of explosiveness is perfectly appropriate for an S&S continuous set. I also think alternating hands with a final two handed effort is a good strategy.

Al - yes, I think you built that corner... :)  Thank you for the tips!  I have them written on a card to bring to my next practice sessions.  And you heard right, I've now been properly introduced to the 32 kg by completing a full TGU on both sides, plus a few swings where I thought I was going to drop the dang thing on the downswing... Does the 32 have nickname like "Bulldog" or "Beast"??   I'd call it "Badger"... it's not as big, but it's mean!  But, I'm good with the 24 now, so time to move on... I will use the programming you gave Banzai in the other thread to start working it into daily practice.

Steve W. - Good catch on the right knee movement!  I didn't notice it, but your are correct, and now I'm realizing that I've had some anomalies noticed on the right side in both a running gait analysis (hip drop on right side) and bicycle fitting (pedal stroke alignment).  Something is not quite right on that right side and it does give me trouble sometimes - hip stability, muscle knots in my quad, and meniscus pain in my knee if I use it wrong - and I'm pretty sure they're interrelated, but I've never figured out which is the culprit or if it can be corrected.  Anyway I'll see if I can focus on that and try adjusting the foot stance as you suggested.

It's amazing what you can see on video.  Great analysis tool for movement.

Good to hear from both of that the intensity is correct - I will stick with that for next round of continuous.

Thanks again.

"The kettlebell is the hammer. The breath is the bellows. The swordsmith is your WILL. The iron ore being forged into steel is YOU."  ......Great article, Scott - thank you!

Similar concept as the "straw breathing" in S&S - although I have focused on the deep recovery breaths between swing sets, I haven't practiced that straw breathing as described... good reminder.

Another episode of continuous swings yesterday -- http://youtu.be/qm9KcAgTvMk

The video is not too exciting, but it was a lot of fun!  Kind of looking forward to this every 2 weeks.  I feel like I'm dialed in on the right intensity and it's an awesome challenge.  Swings could always be better - your critiques are always welcome.  I feel like I'm better on the plank but still working on that.  Breathing was way better this time, in through the nose and good deep breath each swing, but was probably my limiter at the end - my windpipe was on fire.  On the swing, looks like I'm not sitting back far enough in the hinge...  Maybe because it's lighter than usual training weight bell, not sure.  Anyway, just sharing the fun.  150 swings w/ 20kg in just over 4 min.

Pavel, thank you!  I'll do that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom