all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S + Core

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello,

Usually, I am more on the "function" side than the "form" side, but this time...

Since the beginning of the lockdown, and now the lifting of it, I tackled back S&S. I am beyond Simple (36 for GU and 40 for swings). As I want to keep a daily training, I put a cap and keep Simple. To be honest, I have never been that strong.

Since S&S, I have lost some weight (probably fat I guess because I can lift heavier than before). I am also glad because I am not tired at all. Now, I weigh roughly 61kg for 1,83m. To give you an idea, I have the exact same physique than Sean O'Malley (MMA fighter). My girlfriend considers - and I think she is right - I am very skinny. Then, I'd like to gain some "torso definition".

Here is my question:
Could you please give me a core routine which would be a blend of strength and "cosmetics" ?
Notes:
- if possible, I'd like this routine to be bodyweight only.
- I'd like to target obliques, transverse, lats, rectus, etc.. (basically a complete and true core routine)

Thank you so much !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Are you eating enough? Are you restricting yourself from any food groups? According to BMI you are underweight so keep a track of things.

Your strength is very impressive. Why do you want to keep a daily training, rather than doing the heavy S&S less frequently?

Hello,

Are you eating enough? Are you restricting yourself from any food groups?
I do IF because I feel good that way but I am not counting anything. I have always been very skinny. Until I came, even my mother was very lean, so I guess this is "how I am built". Basically, my weight is the same between high school and now.

Your strength is very impressive.
Thank you ! :)
There is no magic here. I am just patient and follow the advices of the SF wizzards !

Why do you want to keep a daily training, rather than doing the heavy S&S less frequently?
My practice first thing in the morning is my "meditation". It is the time of the day which belongs only to me :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I have a very slight build as well, I know how difficult gaining or even maintaining weight can be! And how easily if it can come off. If you are losing weight, you probably need to eat more. Don't be afraid of "unhealthy" (whatever this means) foods either. Daily S&S with more than half your body weight is no joke, it is intense training, especially with long limbs!

How much are you fasting?

Hello,

I do the "very-regular-nothing-fancy" 16:8. Basically, I just skip breakfast.

All we eat is organic whole food as we are very cautious with quality.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Im kind of suprised that someone who weights 61kg and Is using 36&40kg bells for daily S&S, feels like he needs to add some core work... ?

Hello,

Usually, I am more on the "function" side than the "form" side, but this time...

Since the beginning of the lockdown, and now the lifting of it, I tackled back S&S. I am beyond Simple (36 for GU and 40 for swings). As I want to keep a daily training, I put a cap and keep Simple. To be honest, I have never been that strong.

Since S&S, I have lost some weight (probably fat I guess because I can lift heavier than before). I am also glad because I am not tired at all. Now, I weigh roughly 61kg for 1,83m. To give you an idea, I have the exact same physique than Sean O'Malley (MMA fighter). My girlfriend considers - and I think she is right - I am very skinny. Then, I'd like to gain some "torso definition".

Here is my question:
Could you please give me a core routine which would be a blend of strength and "cosmetics" ?
Notes:
- if possible, I'd like this routine to be bodyweight only.
- I'd like to target obliques, transverse, lats, rectus, etc.. (basically a complete and true core routine)

Thank you so much !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Very impressive strength Pet’! I’m same height and 67kg and must say that falling back to 65kg is already affecting my ability to do swings and getups with 40kg. So knowing this I’m even much impressed with your ratio!

Can’t answer your question. I recall that @Harald Motz does ab wheel at the end of every session.

You said that you want to go bodyweight - does it mean no to pull up bar available?

Hello,

@Molson
Thanks a lot !

Yes I have a pull up bar.

I usually do 1 set of Dragon Flags after each session. Maybe not the best exercice but I like it hehe

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Molson
Thanks a lot !

Yes I have a pull up bar.

I usually do 1 set of Dragon Flags after each session. Maybe not the best exercice but I like it hehe

Kind regards,

Pet'

In this case you could check the addendum to Naked Warrior. I guess it’s free and it had been linked somewhere on this forum.

3x a week, I do:

--Anti extension: Ab rollout (using barbell) or KB pullover

--Midline stability: Hollow body hold

--Bracing: TVA vacuum holds (also used in yoga in uddiyana bandha practice another 2x a week)

--Rotation & thoracic mobility: Side plank with thread the needle twist & glute medius raise

--Extension: Arch raises

Or did you mean "core" as in essential, as opposed to "core" in terms of abdominal muscles?

Hello,

@watchnerd
Thank you !

If this works for an advanced powerlifter like you, it just has to work with a regular guy like me !

Do you have a rep / set or just "go by feel" ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@watchnerd
Thank you !

If this works for an advanced powerlifter like you, it just has to work with a regular guy like me !

Do you have a rep / set or just "go by feel" ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I do them as a circuit.

3x through the whole circuit:

-Anti extension: Ab rollout (using barbell) or KB pullover:

8-12 reps, progress at 12 reps

30s-60s, progress at 60s

--Bracing: TVA vacuum holds (also used in yoga in uddiyana bandha practice another 2x a week)

10 reps, hold each for 5 seconds

--Rotation & thoracic mobility: Side plank with thread the needle twist & glute medius raise

30-60s, progress at 60s

[BTW, I'm a weightlifter, not a powerlifter.....two different sports. ;) ]

If done daily, there is also an argument to be made to do both ab rollouts and leg raises, as they complement each other, on alternate days.

I do them as a circuit.

3x through the whole circuit:

-Anti extension: Ab rollout (using barbell) or KB pullover:

30s-60s, progress at 60s

10 reps, hold each for 5 seconds

30-60s, progress at 60s

[BTW, I'm a weightlifter, not a powerlifter.....two different sports. ;) ]

If done daily, there is also an argument to be made to do both ab rollouts and leg raises, as they complement each other, on alternate days.
Have you a good reference video for ab wheel roll As I've round very different versions?

Have you a good reference video for ab wheel roll As I've round very different versions?

I use a barbell, as opposed to a wheel, so I don't have a video for the wheel itself.

This one is pretty good for beginners. Her unspoken demo at the beginning is better than the one she gives while talking, but her talking points are good.

Scott Herman's video is decent, too, especially the tip about blocking the end range motion for newbies:

Regarding weight, I just use whatever weight is on my floor bar (used for DLs, CDL&S, C&J, SN, etc.) that particular day, which provides waved loading, and adjust my reps accordingly.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom