all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S@S cycling with other Pavel Programs

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jonathan

Level 4 Valued Member
I recently completed 'simple' strength and hit a wall in my progression.

At: 32,40,40,40,32 (swing and get ups)

Started: 24,24,24,24,24 (swing and get ups)

Should I stop and start a new program before coming back to S@S to break through?

What would you recommend if so?

Welcome...
I guess I would ask what your training goals are. Knowing that might help folks here frame an answer better.

I would like to get:

40,40,40,40,4o In the framework of 5 min and 10 min.

That is what the heaviest KB in my gym.

Look good feel good. Like the simplicity of the program, the strength, mobility.

BEST PROGRAM EVER!

Congratulations on achieving Simple! the articles that @pet' shared are really, really, REALLY helpful. i especially like Solid.
If you want to get better at S&S i think you have to do S&S.

that being said heres an article about someone completing Easy Strength. Guest Post From Anthony Shaw on

This individual used TGU as his "Core exercise" and Swings as his "explosive exercise" basicly S&S +
Welcome to the forum

I would like to get:

40,40,40,40,4o In the framework of 5 min and 10 min.

That is what the heaviest KB in my gym.

Look good feel good. Like the simplicity of the program, the strength, mobility.

BEST PROGRAM EVER!
I am a big proponent of keeping things simple. I try to subtract rather than add. It's obvious you have done great work on simple! It seems you are pretty close to your training goal as it is. I would just stay the course. Work on impeccable form. Consider the material the @pet' kindly provided links to.
If you do want to add stuff... consider buying a larger bell and train at home. (Pull ups and MAF style running are a good compliment to S&S)

Thank you guys, your quick response is a reflection of the how the supportive the strong first community is.

I am just a regular guy, I box and try to stay in shape. S@S is working well for me, I will stay the course.

Thank you for your time and support.

JB

Jonathan, I recommend to get to what I call "Solid" (40 kg both in swing and get-up), and then decide what to do next. My choice would be Rite of Passage, bent press + snatch, or switch to barbell (PTTP!). Great job, congratulations!

I read all the articles given and Pavel Macek's article

SOLID: IN-BETWEEN SIMPLE & SINISTER

is excellent.

One last question, is using chalk ok/accetable?

I broke my hand a while ago and working on my grip strength (bought the iron mind bands like Pavel suggested).

I read all the articles given and Pavel Macek's article

SOLID: IN-BETWEEN SIMPLE & SINISTER

is excellent.

One last question, is using chalk ok/accetable?

I broke my hand a while ago and working on my grip strength (bought the iron mind bands like Pavel suggested).
Yup chalk is fine. Especially coming back from injury.

I recently completed 'simple' strength and hit a wall in my progression.

At: 32,40,40,40,32 (swing and get ups)

Started: 24,24,24,24,24 (swing and get ups)

Should I stop and start a new program before coming back to S@S to break through?

What would you recommend if so?
No, why?
I'm at the 40kg for S&S and my body and mind continue to adapt to it. It took a few months before I could do all the swings one handed for instance, but I DID adapt to it! Just be patient.

What they often recommend on these forums is to get to Simple, then go over to the ROP training for a few months and see if you can achieve the protocol of 200 snatches in 10 minutes and a single clean & press with half your bodyweight, and then go back to S&S and try to get all the way to the 48kg bell.

What I did instead was to keep progressing towards the 40kg bell in S&S but to do some cleans and presses and also 1 hand pushups and things like that on the side to fill out my strength and skills with a few other moves not really covered in the swings and getups. By the way, I haven't really finalized my thinking on what these supplemental exercises will be forever. I have recently become shocked and dismayed that I lost my pressing strength when I was doing 1 hand pushups for a month instead of presses. I'm not happy about that at all!

Last edited:
Jonathan, I recommend to get to what I call "Solid" (40 kg both in swing and get-up), and then decide what to do next. My choice would be Rite of Passage, bent press + snatch, or switch to barbell (PTTP!). Great job, congratulations!

After reading your articles, I now use 40 KG for all swings and get-ups.

It's just time before I achieve "Solid" Strength.

PS

I also introduced:
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS: A CASE FOR PUSH-UP ENDURANCE TRAINING by Jody Beasley, in my training.

This program helped me progress with my get-ups faster.

Thanks for your insights and help.

@Pavel Macek I think you've been more steadfast to S&S than most, how long was your longest sticking point in the long journey you've been on with S&S? Would you say that a certain point below solid may require a change or even for some above solid before changing?

@Bro Mo

I had a sticky point at 36 kg in the swings if I remember correctly, but the it suddenly started to improve very fast, and I got pretty smoothly to 48.

As for get-ups, 40 kg was difficult for me - I could do it, but I was not happy with the technique, and I was quite sore.

In both cases the solution was simple - get back to the lighter weight, and then slowly up again.

As for change of the program, I personally think that everybody should own "Simple" - after that, you can switch to another program, and come back to swings and get-ups again in the future.

I also suggest to check out this article by our Chief SFG.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom