all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S Difficult Swing Progressions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

serjetto

Level 3 Valued Member
Ladies and gentlemens, I have a question. I am doing S&S, everything is going well, but now I only have one 24kg bell. It is still quite heavy for the Turkish get up, but for the swings it becomes not so heavy. Are there any progressions to make swings more difficult? I know there are dead stop and acceleration eccentric swing. How about a complication option: do 3 dead stops + 7 normal swings or with an eccentric acceleration and progress to 5 + 5? Or alternate the dead stop with an acceleration in one set of 10. Any ideas from forum participants and coaches are welcome.

Ladies and gentlemens, I have a question. I am doing S&S, everything is going well, but now I only have one 24kg bell. It is still quite heavy for the Turkish get up, but for the swings it becomes not so heavy. Are there any progressions to make swings more difficult? I know there are dead stop and acceleration eccentric swing. How about a complication option: do 3 dead stops + 7 normal swings or with an eccentric acceleration and progress to 5 + 5? Or alternate the dead stop with an acceleration in one set of 10. Any ideas from forum participants and coaches are welcome.
Is the 24 kg getting light for 1H Swings?

I would try the StrongEndurance route and try something like sets of 5, 7 or 10 for up to 200 or even 300 reps in a single session.

One idea could be to follow this plan by Pavel:

Feel free to switch to 2H Swings when needed or split sessions. You could also take longer breaks (> 5-10 minutes) every now and then to regulate within-session recovery.

Another one would be to add some autoregulated sessions with sets of 5 or 7 until you feel you are done (form/breathing starts to change, hot calluses, RPE at or above 8, ...) and accumulated some quality volume.

You could also follow this plan, possibly splitting the volume into sets of 5 (thus doubling the number of repeats). (Al Ciampa doesn't recommend A+A sessions with sets of 10 anymore.) Thus, you could go talk-test-based and instead of "12 minutes" do 24 sets of 5

When I was doing it because I’m not a huge fan of 1 handed swings (for multiple reasons) I would use a heavier bell for the swings and then a lighter bell for get ups. At the time for me it was 24kg for get ups and 28kg for swings.

Is the 24 kg getting light for 1H Swings?

I would try the StrongEndurance route and try something like sets of 5, 7 or 10 for up to 200 or even 300 reps in a single session.

One idea could be to follow this plan by Pavel:

Feel free to switch to 2H Swings when needed or split sessions. You could also take longer breaks (> 5-10 minutes) every now and then to regulate within-session recovery.

Another one would be to add some autoregulated sessions with sets of 5 or 7 until you feel you are done (form/breathing starts to change, hot calluses, RPE at or above 8, ...) and accumulated some quality volume.

You could also follow this plan, possibly splitting the volume into sets of 5 (thus doubling the number of repeats). (Al Ciampa doesn't recommend A+A sessions with sets of 10 anymore.) Thus, you could go talk-test-based and instead of "12 minutes" do 24 sets of 5
Thanks. I have a feeling that for swings, the weight of the kettlebell is not as important as the power of the swing. I saw some guys swing heavy 32, 40 kg kettlebells with both hands at an angle of about 45 degrees to the body. I think it would be more effective to fully exploit the potential of one weight and swing 90 degrees with one hand with 24 kg. That's why I'm wondering if there are any complicating progression approved by Strongfirst. Sorry for my crazy English)

Thanks. I have a feeling that for swings, the weight of the kettlebell is not as important as the power of the swing. I saw some guys swing heavy 32, 40 kg kettlebells with both hands at an angle of about 45 degrees to the body. I think it would be more effective to fully exploit the potential of one weight and swing 90 degrees with one hand with 24 kg. That's why I'm wondering if there are any complicating progression approved by Strongfirst. Sorry for my crazy English)
In that case you could try overspeed eccentrics or learn how to snatch. I think @Brett Jones has said that a 24 kg snatch is roughly equivalent to a 32 kg 1H swing.

Maybe re-read the S&S part about the volume knob (I think in the chapter "Hardstyle laziness") and about power training in the Quick and the Dead.

Last edited:
To what height do you swing??

How much rest do you take between sets?

We can also help you better if you tell us what is your native tongue since many SF instructors speak more than one language

To what height do you swing??

How much rest do you take between sets?

We can also help you better if you tell us what is your native tongue since many SF instructors speak more than one language
My swing is near to 90 degrees. Rest liberatly but next goal is going to EMOM. I read chapter about Shadow swing yesterday its look like good idea add them when you limited in weight of bell. Also i am curious about dead stop swing how to add it to S&S, 10X10 will be to heavy, maybe 10X5? Rather than add weight i feel better for me switch to snatch.

My swing is near to 90 degrees. Rest liberatly but next goal is going to EMOM. I read chapter about Shadow swing yesterday its look like good idea add them when you limited in weight of bell. Also i am curious about dead stop swing how to add it to S&S, 10X10 will be to heavy, maybe 10X5? Rather than add weight i feel better for me switch to snatch.
I would focus on being able to swing to chest height for all sets..

I would also only recommend an EMOM approach once you are working on a peaking plan...

Now while it is generally recommended to not learn the kb snatch until you have a good understanding of the clean and press, getup, there can be exceptions such as you can show you have decent shoulder mobility...

Back to the other question.. where are you from? It may actually be beneficial to you if you touched base with the nearest SFG instructor to you and/or an SFG who speaks your native language to bridge the language barrier gap

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom