all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S: Don't have heavier kettlebell?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pal286

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi everyone. First time posting here.

I've been doing S&S over the last 5 months, and have a 24kg kettlebell. I've been able to do the complete S&S set with it, but now I cannot get a heavier kettlebell since they are sold out every where I look.

Are there any recommendations on what can be done to supplement S&S or to make it harder if a 24kg kettlebell is the heaviest one I have access to?

Thank you!

Depending on your goals , one option which I would highly recommend is getting Enter The Kettlebell (ETK) and following the rite of passage program. It is focused on clean and press, pull ups, swings and snatches, and your 24k S&S foundation should set you up well. You can always go back to s&s once you get a heavier bell.

Edit: you could still practice S&S on variety days if you have the time and energy!

Last edited:

I've been doing S&S over the last 5 months, and have a 24kg kettlebell. I've been able to do the complete S&S set with it, but now I cannot get a heavier kettlebell since they are sold out every where I look.

Are there any recommendations on what can be done to supplement S&S or to make it harder if a 24kg kettlebell is the heaviest one I have access to?

Thank you!
Or you could try this plan with your 24 + add some carries or presses to you TGU practice. Or add a few Bottoms Up drills.

If it does not work with sets of 10, you could do sets of 5 or 7 (and go more A+A).

Thank you!
Just a few suggestions that will keep your S&S progressing:

* Increase volume by practicing more a week ( go up to 5 or 6 if you aren't already)
* Increase volume by add more sets to your daily practice
* Start doing TGU's in sets of 2
* Take one day a week a start slowly compressing rest times (V1.0)

I wouldn't do all of these at once. Pick one quality (volume or density) and slowly increase over time.

Also, there are ways to add a little bit of weight to your 24kg bell. Some safer than others. My favorite is using ankle weights. I've seen and used various ways of fastening. Just as long as they're secure and don't interfere with the technique, I think it's OK.

I guess you could always take a diversion, like adding snatches or presses, but you asked for ideas to supplement S&S or make harder. What better way to do this than to keep doing getups and swings?

Just a few suggestions that will keep your S&S progressing:

* Increase volume by practicing more a week ( go up to 5 or 6 if you aren't already)
* Increase volume by add more sets to your daily practice
* Start doing TGU's in sets of 2
* Take one day a week a start slowly compressing rest times (V1.0)

I wouldn't do all of these at once. Pick one quality (volume or density) and slowly increase over time.

Also, there are ways to add a little bit of weight to your 24kg bell. Some safer than others. My favorite is using ankle weights. I've seen and used various ways of fastening. Just as long as they're secure and don't interfere with the technique, I think it's OK.

I guess you could always take a diversion, like adding snatches or presses, but you asked for ideas to supplement S&S or make harder. What better way to do this than to keep doing getups and swings?
+1 to al of this. I've also tied 5 kg barbell plates with good results.

Last edited:
Depending on your goals , one option which I would highly recommend is getting Enter The Kettlebell (ETK) and following the rite of passage program. It is focused on clean and press, pull ups, swings and snatches, and your 24k S&S foundation should set you up well. You can always go back to s&s once you get a heavier bell.

Edit: you could still practice S&S on variety days if you have the time and energy!
Agree, great choice. Before S&S was created, probably most people did just that - PM to Solid 24kg and then ROP. I had not followed Pavel at that time yet, but I guess this was the default path and you can’t go wrong doing that.

Personally I started my advantage with KBs with ETK. I had no idea S&S exists until I was half way with ROP. When I read later that it’s better to start with S&S I was a bit confused that I’m doing something wrong. But after doing S&S for 18months now I don’t regret it and I don’t think not reaching 32kg with tgu and swing can get you into trouble with a mindful ROP cycle.

Last edited:

Thank you!

You might want to consider revealing your location. KBs of various weights are available at several places here in the USA, so you may want to check the inventory at a Dick’s Sporting Goods (that’s dickssportinggods.com) if you’re in this country. Similarly, after learning of someone desperate for a KB through my neighborhood Facebook page, I loaned him one of mine. There is also a lot of information available on adding weight to KBs, including information on this forum.

But I have to tell you: Despite the excellence of S&S and the benefits of achieving the Simple goal, there is no limit to benefits that can be obtained with a 24KG KB, except for the limits imposed by our own imaginations.

Tons of useful info on this thread. Glad I found it. I have the same issue. I only have a 16 and 24 kg available at home. Every where near me is also sold out of all kettlebells.
For what it’s worth, I started the ROP program this week. I have achieved timeless simple with S & S. The 24kg is plenty for ROP for me and I'm loving it so far.

Tons of useful info on this thread. Glad I found it. I have the same issue. I only have a 16 and 24 kg available at home. Every where near me is also sold out of all kettlebells.
For what it’s worth, I started the ROP program this week. I have achieved timeless simple with S & S. The 24kg is plenty for ROP for me and I'm loving it so far.

The 24kg will cover most of your bases for a long time..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom