all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S every other week or month

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anth

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience doing S&S every other week, or something like two weeks on, one week off? Every other month? Or anything like that?

After about 9 months of only S&S, I recently reached timeless simple, but I’ve just been feeling burned out, and like I need some variety. It’s tough to get up mentally for the work out. I feel like I’ve built up a strong base, so it’s not like I’m trying to progress through the beginning of the program. It’s more of like breaking through a mental plateau.

I don’t want to stop S&S, because I do like the work out and the results, and I want to achieve the simple challenge, but I like the idea of having a week or two where I do something like double kettle bell complexes or airdyne sprints, or something like that. Just a refresher to shake things up, And maybe to see how my strength gains from S&S transfer to other programs exercises.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone done anything like this? Thanks in advance.

I've done and am currently alternating 2 weeks of S&S and two weeks of PTTP. I like the change of pace and believe it or not I actually am stronger with my swings and getups when I go back to it. Synergistically they work great for me.
That’s what I hoped to hear!

now that i think about it it was probably the program minimum and pttp, the book predated S&S. I could be wrong.

often wrong, never in doubt, i like to say.

[…]Does anyone have any experience doing S&S every other week, or something like two weeks on, one week off? […]I don’t want to stop S&S, because I do like the work out and the results, and I want to achieve the simple challenge, but I like the idea of having a week or two where I do something like double kettle bell complexes or airdyne sprints, or something like that. Just a refresher to shake things up, And maybe to see how my strength gains from S&S transfer to other programs exercises.

S&S is a nice template for using one’s gym time effectively. The habits cultivated from S&S could be beneficial to your double kettle bell complexes or airdyne sprints or what-have-you. I appreciate S&S a lot, and when I have occasional variety days where I am able to explore other things, I go back to my S&S with renewed enthusiasm. I may enjoy doing the Turkish Get Up most days but I would not want to do it 365 days a year. I would start to feel like Sisyphus condemned to spend eternity rolling a boulder up a mountain, but with the boulder replaced by a giant kettlebell.

I took a break from S&S too and did kb strong dfsq probably roughly where you're at for probably similar reasons. Guess what? Got better at squatting and then finished the simple thing. Once you've established your training/recovery matrix and got to know yourself and that self is saying 'how about a break'?, then have one. Different from, 'right done S&S for 2 weeks, now I'm bored, what next?'...sort of thing.
A change is as good as a rest, some say ....well it depends, say some.....
Or take couple weeks off, maybe?⁷

I've come to really appreciate cycling through a couple programs in blocks. Thoughtful undulation of any kind seems to work very well for numerous reasons. Blocks of S&S alternated with blocks of barbell is good advice.

I've done and am currently alternating 2 weeks of S&S and two weeks of PTTP. I like the change of pace and believe it or not I actually am stronger with my swings and getups when I go back to it. Synergistically they work great for me.
Do you do any type of conditioning during your PTTP block? And do you just continue S&S where you left it?

PS: I am pretty sure Dan John recommended the PTTP/PM 2-week blocks in Easy Strength?

Btw: Here is the research to back this up: Issurin 2008 - Block Periodization:

a) Novel and intense stimuli yield the biggest adaptations
b) Adaptations have residuals and hang around for some time
"Mixed training produces mixed results". Very interesting stuff, at least for athletics. Of course, there is also the conjugate method.

Issurin 2008 - Block Periodization.JPG

A few years back I did s and s for variety days on ROTK..

If you've already unlocked timeless simple and wanna pursue other goals on the interim but still wanna touch up on s and s, I would do s and s for variety days and then do your main focus training 2-3x a week

I haven't tried it (yet), but it seems to me that low intensity, MAF-type aerobic work would fit well in the PTTP block. I may try something like this when I finish my first 3 months of Q&D. Two weeks of base, absolute strength (PTTP) and base aerobic work (rucking for me) followed by a block of power/power endurance with the Q&D.

Since Pavel recommends alternating six week blocks of Q&D/A+A , I wonder if it would be better to keep that six week block of Q&D and do a two week block of PTTP.

OR...in the six week A+A block, maybe alternate workouts of PTTPx Deads/A+A xVPP's with PTTPxPresses/A+Axswings the other workout.

Hi, I'm Rick. I have workout ADHD...

Last edited:
I haven't tried it (yet), but it seems to me that low intensity, MAF-type aerobic work would fit well in the PTTP block
That is actually what Pavel recommends in ROTK: Easy cardio and a lot of mobility work during grind blocks.

I have wondered, too, whether 2 week blocks of Q&D would work.

In the FAQ of ETK Pavel mentions the option of six week blocks, with 3x sprinting per week during the Barbell block. So maybe Q&D with minimalist Deads and PTTP with minimalist sprints (or QnD?) would be a good match.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom