all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S for life?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
My dad's in his upper 70s and he can lift some stuff heavier than I can! Keep working out y'all, it keeps you alive and well for a few decades longer than people who don't, and that's a heck of a long time! Stay fit, stay alive!

Personally I think there is S&S and there is a gist of S&S. Seeing it narrowly there are goblets, swings, get ups with in defined schemes.

A few things I personally take out of S&S:
take a big pull and a press. A ballistic and a grind. Power first, strength second. Train frequently with a medium to heavy weight. Just one or two single bells can be enough. Not everyone needs to squat heavy, but everyone needs to squat. Take rest to ensure great technique but push a bit from time to time. There are most probably some other aspects.

Today for example I did snatches followed by the bent press, it is simple and sinister.

I did many sessions of S&S in the past almost exclusively and some weeks on and on with just the snatch. I am still amazed by the volume one can put on with a considerably heavy bell over long periods of time.

S&S for life? no doubt.

Would you say that S&S could be a program that we can do for the rest for our lives if we want to stay healthy?

You could, and you would probably be reasonably healthy. At some point you will reach your biological limits and be faced with negative improvements. However, long before that if blessed with the mental acuity to realize it, you will probably go bonkers at the tedium of sameness. In a book that I just finished, James Clear (Atomic Habits) asked a celebrated coach that visited his weightlifting team what made successful athletes. The coach replied that it came down to those who can handle the boredom of training every day, doing the same lifts over and over. I did S&S for about 3 years but needed a change, more mental than physical.

I always was curious about double kettlebells and thought if not now, when? So I dashed into doubles for the last two years starting with Kettlebell Strong and progressing through a series of shorter programs that changed every month or two. I cannot begin to describe the physical and mental revitalization that this gave me. Now I'm back into swings/snatches, TGU, and chins/pull ups with single bells.

While we like to think that doing TGU will enable us to get off the floor when old, I have yet to see anyone at any age go through a seven step TGU format to get off the floor. Spending one hour on the floor playing with my 8 month old grandson taught me more about my training deficiencies than anything S&S, FMS, OS, and MA ever taught me.

Programs for the rest of our lives need some variety and vitality. While trying to learn a double KB complex of 4 reps C & P + 4 reps DSQ + 4 reps C + PP + 4 reps DSQ + 4 reps C+J had me sucking wind hard, and I still had to do as many complexes as possible in 20 minutes. It turned out to be only one more. That experience, however, got me into Maffetone walking/running 3-4 times a week to build up aerobic recovery. It's all good. Go where the journey takes you.

who is the oldest on the forums that are still using Kettlebells? :) And how do you like it?

While I am not vying for this honor and would gladly relinquish the title to Jim or anyone else, I am 76. And, YES, I like it.

@Harald Motz , what he says!

It always amazes me when the forum is ask about a minimalist program and few respond with SNATCH.

So many folks on here like the cat above have done nothing but fairly heavy snatches for a good volume and just added a bit of aerobic work. They've had tremendous results.

S&S, A+A, a press a pull and squat, deadlift from time to time, a brisk walk daily or other aerobic work. Seems pretty simple for life.

@Harald Motz , what he says!

It always amazes me when the forum is ask about a minimalist program and few respond with SNATCH.

So many folks on here like the cat above have done nothing but fairly heavy snatches for a good volume and just added a bit of aerobic work. They've had tremendous results.

S&S, A+A, a press a pull and squat, deadlift from time to time, a brisk walk daily or other aerobic work. Seems pretty simple for life.

I have seen A+A mentioned a few times. What is it?

I am sorry, what is DMPM?

Answer:
Dan John said:
"Program Minimum Minimum (From Dan Martin)
Goblet Squats (10-25)
Swings 50-150
Push Ups 25-50 (or Presses)
Some kind of Loaded Carry
Change the reps each and every day, but do the movements. Coming back the next
day is more important than any single training day."

The reps given are total reps per session.

More variations: DMPM Sticky -
(for example 5-4-3-2-1 as a rep scheme and different warmups)

TGU is not formally a part of it. But of course you could say that TGUs could fill the push and carry category.

Thank you @Bauer . I had Googled it, but had not read this info.

Usually people add 1-3 stretches and warmup moves that adress their individual needs (regarding lower back pain, limited shoulder mobility, tight hip flexors etc.).

I guess the idea is to cover all the bases and be consistent and not to worry too much about rep schemes, variety etc. You can always add stuff and specialize - but the basics won't let you down.

I was surfing on youtube and this clip reminded me of this thread. Gary Player is over 80 years old, in awesome shape and his principles seem to match with the idea of ”S&S for life” guite well.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom