all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S for the tactical athlete

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TXTROOP

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello,

I'm new here, and new to kettlebell specific training. I recently purchased Simple and Sinister along with 24kg & 32kg kettlebells. I want to run the program as prescribed, but I'm worried about losing fitness in the meantime. Are there any other programs from pavel that I should be running as well? I'm not questioning the method, it's just strange having so much left in the tank after training. It makes me wonder if I'm doing it right. I don't want my performance to suffer on operations or on our required fitness evaluations. Thanks for your time!

Hello,

@TXTROOP
Welcome on StrongFirst !

I think you can follow this thread and also the following one:
https://www.strongfirst.com/community/threads/if-i-only-do-s-s-will-i-lose-fitness.9195/

You can add some conditioning such as EMOM with snatches or clean and jerks during 10 minutes, running on MAF pace (Maffetone method)

S&S is a "minimum effective dose". It means that it always keep you fresh for any other activities you may have, and does not have a sport specific goal.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Reactions: DCM
@TXTROOP : Welcome to the forum :)

There is still the misconception that you have to train to failure each time and be totally smoked after training in order to make progress. Although going full out once in a while is not a bad thing per se, you do not want to do that day after day so to speak.
I am sure that, if you practice S&S every day, you will not loose fitness. On the contrary, you will only become (even) stronger.
Oh, one more thing: try to find an SFG instructor in your neighborhood. Although the book gives clear instructions, nothing beats in-person training with an SFG.

Do your daily activities, punch sandbags, run, walk long distance and feel the difference. If you feel improvements, then your program is generally right.

Almost always emptying tank style training drains the progress.

I've had nothing but positive experience with S&S while using it. I'm 46 and 25 years of service. There's an article or post called the WTH Effect of S&S, please check it out.

Thank you everyone for the detailed replies. I'm going to give the program an honest run. I plan to throw in some running/rucking, but I'll leave the barbell alone.

What type of training were you doing before you started kettlebells?

I generally bounce between the programming from Military Athlete and Atomic Athlete. I'm accustomed to 1.5-3hr workouts, but a new development may change that for a bit (first child is due in a few days.) I'm genuinely interested in seeing how my body adapts to this style of training.

Hello,

As a general rule, the more you specialize in a sport, the more you "lose" when you get involved in another sport.

Kind regards,

Pet'

If your currently train using those programs, you will lose performance using only Simple and Sinister. Not sure what your fitness evaluations consist of, but a combination of Simple and Sinister along with regular practice of what your evaluations consist of should be enough. I have used some of the Military Athlete stuff and it is no joke. The question is was it more training than you needed to be ready for the fitness evaluations/operations.

When I did S&S I added a few sets of an additional movement to the end of the workout (typically 3-4 sets of 4-6 reps). I did this 5 days per week. For example:

Monday: S&S plus push (dips)
Tuesday: S&S Plus pull (pullups)
Wednesday: S&S plus squat (front squats)
Thursday: S&S plus push (dips)
Friday: S&S Plus pull (pullups)

It was easily done, and quick, and I maintained my push, pull, squat strength while improving S&S as well.

Thank you everyone for the detailed replies. I'm going to give the program an honest run. I plan to throw in some running/rucking, but I'll leave the barbell alone.

I generally bounce between the programming from Military Athlete and Atomic Athlete. I'm accustomed to 1.5-3hr workouts, but a new development may change that for a bit (first child is due in a few days.) I'm genuinely interested in seeing how my body adapts to this style of training.

+1 for some added running and rucking. S&S is not, to my understanding, designed to handle training of a large aerobic base. Don't get me wrong, it will keep you cardiovascularly healthy and ready for many challenges, but if you have to push 60+ minutes aerobically at a performance standard or some other external locus of control you will want the running and rucking. The key is to keep it aerobic and not spend too much time in glycolysis. Reason being, amongst other things, it will drain recovery resources making a steady 5-6 days a week S&S practice more difficult. A little search engine time finding reasources on "Aerobic versus Glycolitic training" or "energy systems training" would be advised if it's not a topic you are familiar with.

Do a forum search on Maffetone Method and look for this topic applied to endurance training.

I believe it depends what type of tactical athlete you are, and what you want out of it. S&S, with some long aerobic running a couple days per week, has worked for my needs but may not be enough for yours. I will say that particular combination is a minimalist and time efficient way to stay mobile, fairly strong, and with a sufficient engine for work capacity.

What about LEO's? I feel, as tactical athletes, we need leg strength coupled with mobility in the hips and T-spine..

I've been practicing SS for about a year now and with a 32k for about 7 months. I recently started to "add" OS resets to the warm-up and feel it helps with the practice.

Occasionally, I'll GTG with pull-ups just to keep my numbers up; however, I believe it's better to just perform the PM as written (going as heavy as possible)..

What about LEO's? I feel, as tactical athletes, we need leg strength coupled with mobility in the hips and T-spine..

I've been practicing SS for about a year now and with a 32k for about 7 months. I recently started to "add" OS resets to the warm-up and feel it helps with the practice.

Occasionally, I'll GTG with pull-ups just to keep my numbers up; however, I believe it's better to just perform the PM as written (going as heavy as possible)..

In my experience, for the patrol side of LE, the biggest benefit of S&S is the mobility/stability/durability gained, for the minimal time investment. In my opinion, durability is the most important thing for us, and S&S (more of Al Ciampa's version) has worked wonders. Personally, being a family man involved with patrol and tactical LE, a minimalist program is all I can afford time wise. So far, other than a recent 1/2 mile foot chase that left me smoked for 2 solid days, S&S with a couple aerobic runs/hikes per week has been very sufficient for my needs.

I went for a 75 minute hike today followed immediately by S&S with the 40kg and then some kendo practice by myself. I feel sick.

@TXTROOP Look for improvement, not exhaustion. I suggest to follow the program to the letter, and after you meet at least "Simple" goal, let us see what to do next. As for other physical activities (e.g. long walks, running, martial arts training, or anything else), keep doing what you are doing. As for S&S, do not add anything for time being, do not mix it with other program.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom