all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S+S form check please

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dirtbikemike

Level 1 Valued Member
I finished the 10k swing challenge so started to practice the S+S movements. I used a 16kg bell on the swings and a 12kg bell for get ups. The last video is my attempt at using a 16 for the get ups. TGUs are no joke! Does anything stand out as far as things I need to fix (I’m sure there is lots in the get up). Really looking forward to learning more and progressing Thanks!

Swing - Keep the tension in your abs and glutes during the float. Think of this as a standing plank. Do not release the tension until your forearm comes in contact with your ribs.

Getup - Focus on packing the shoulder of the arm in contact with the ground. This skill takes time so mix in practice with just bodyweight or balancing a shoe on your fist. You don't need to always have a kettlebell overhead to work on your getup.

Yep, come into a tight plank and hold it. "Tense every muscle below your neck -- plank. Grip the ground with your toes. Pull up the kneecaps. Cramp the glutes. Brace the abs, as if you are about to be punched. Keep the lats locked and loaded. You are a board." -- Pavel, S&S 2.0 pg 33. This is the in the deadlift section because this is the place to practice it. Do you have S&S? Read and practice pg 31-33 and that will set you up well for the swing, because everything about the deadlift transfers to the swing and sets you up for a solid swing.

Let us know how it goes after you practice that! Looks like you'll do well.

Thank you all for the tips. I will definitely focus on learning to pack the shoulders. I have been watching videos. Is shoulder packing required during swings? I never realized the benefits of keeping the shoulders packed in all aspects of weight training And how important it really is.

Thank you all for the tips. I will definitely focus on learning to pack the shoulders. I have been watching videos. Is shoulder packing required during swings? I never realized the benefits of keeping the shoulders packed in all aspects of weight training And how important it really is.

Yes, absolutely. It keeps your shoulders in a safe and effective position, tight to the body for good force transfer, and keeps the lats engaged. (Lats engaged = shoulders packed, and vice versa).

Stand in the standing plank with your arm out in front of you as if you're at the top of the swing. Now draw your shoulder down.... away from your ear, towards your hip. Anti-shrugged. Big chest. Tight armpit. This is where it should be at the top of the swing. (You can then feel the opposite of that if you let the shoulder come up and forward... shoulder muscles might be engaged, but lats are not). Then bring it back to packed.

Same thing in the hinge, practice being in the hinge position, one arm between your legs as if the kettlebell is behind you... square your shoulders, puff your chest out, reach your butt back, reach your hand back, and make sure your shoulders are anti-shrugged with tight armpits. Some people like the cue "put your shoulder blades in your opposite back pockets." This can work well too.

I like to practice this, and have students practice this, maybe 2 or 3 "swings" drilling each of these two positions before a set of swings. Then try to maintain this shoulder packing throughout the swing.

I believe this comes from Pavel... Lats are the supermuscles! Learn to actively use them and they will develop well and enable much more strong movement.

Excellent tips above..

What I constantly find to work best to pattern the technique is to use less power initially until you feel confident in maintaining the plank and getting the timing down..

Once they're acceptable, you can slowly turn up the power knob

Is it normal to have the shoulder impinged during transitions , such as from rolling to elbow and then elbow to post and then on the way down from kneeling to post and then post to elbow. I’m having trouble keeping it packed during the transition and once I’m in position I pack it again. Is there tips to maintaining the packed shoulder or does everybody experience this?

Is it normal to have the shoulder impinged during transitions , such as from rolling to elbow and then elbow to post and then on the way down from kneeling to post and then post to elbow. I’m having trouble keeping it packed during the transition and once I’m in position I pack it again. Is there tips to maintaining the packed shoulder or does everybody experience this?

It's not.. I'd revisit the drill without any load and then work on consciously packing the shoulder each step

One tidbit I can give you is if you can't engage your lats, that's usually an indication of an unpacked shoulder

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom