all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S+S Form Check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ian Kesler

First Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm three weeks into the Simple and Sinister program and I wanted some form critique before increasing the weight. I've been experiencing lower back tightness/cramps about an hour after training. Please let me know if you see anything that could be the cause of this issue. All help is appreciated.

Excellent work, @Ian Kesler ! No major issues, really.

Your swing is really good for a beginner. You've really got the right idea and you'll probably find it actually a bit easier (more natural, anyway) when you add some more weight. I don't see anything that would cause tightness and cramps so my guess would be it's just the novelty of the movement -- your body is still adjusting. Make sure to spend the time on the 2 stretches at the end, 90/90 and QL straddle. In addition to the stretch, they help tone down your nervous system after the session so you'll have less of a tendency to carry tension afterwards.

Your first set of 1-arm swings (left hand swings) you aren't aligned L-R, but the second set you are. What you did there on the 2nd set is a good practice -- set up like you're going to do a set of 2H swings, then just take 1 hand away without moving the rest of your body. Then make sure at the top of the swing also that your shoulders are aligned as they would be with a 2H swing. But overall great job with the 1H swings, too.

Getup looks really good. Very nice movement and no major issues. Elbow unlocked a couple of times -- focus on keeping it locked. Wrist possibly could be a tiny bit straighter, like a punch. And on the initial floor press (and the reverse at the end), try for a vertical forearm. Minor things!

Great job, and keep us posted on your progress.

Anna already gave great insights the only things I would add are

Swing.. deeper hinge.. you will not need to snap that hard once the hinge is deeper

Getup neutral wrist. You want to turn your wrist that you can give a thumbs up sign if you didn't have a kettlebell in your hand.

Agree a heavier load will give you more feedback to work on some things.

Excellent job I have to say

Thanks for the great critique @Anna C. I'll focus on the alignment of the shoulders for the 1h swings. For the getup, I'm finding that juggling my concentration from the overhead arm to the rest of my body is causing the elbow to unlock and the wrist alignment issue. I imagine this coordination just comes with practice but do you have any tips to speed this along?

Thanks for the added insights @Mark Limbaga. Is my hip hinge when I'm setting up deep enough? I noticed that it got shallower as the set went on.

I imagine this coordination just comes with practice but do you have any tips to speed this along?

Shoe get-ups as in S&S (1.0 and 2.0)... focus all attention on the elbow. Can do anytime or as warm-up. Then it becomes more natural to do when doing get-ups with weight.

Thanks for the great critique @Anna C. I'll focus on the alignment of the shoulders for the 1h swings. For the getup, I'm finding that juggling my concentration from the overhead arm to the rest of my body is causing the elbow to unlock and the wrist alignment issue. I imagine this coordination just comes with practice but do you have any tips to speed this along?

Thanks for the added insights @Mark Limbaga. Is my hip hinge when I'm setting up deep enough? I noticed that it got shallower as the set went on.

It's usually the case. When you setup and get that deep hinge, remember how it feels and get there every rep

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom