all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S + hypertrophy program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

@caspic
It depends on the goal but yes.

If you want to go to Simple, it would be 'better' to get 3 S&S sessions a week (beyond the strength, technique is also important and requires practice)

If S&S is mainly here as a GPP / maintenance (sort of 2nd goal) and you are mainly after 'raw strength' and hypertrophy, then it sounds great.

Kind regards,

Pet'

+1

Because I already do other strength training, I'm pretty darn sure that most of the adaptations I had up to 24 kg where skilling / neurological, with some conditioning, as opposed to hypertrophy.

32 kg, even though lighter than my usual BB ballistics, required new physical adaptations.
I would agree with skill/neurological adaptations.
My experience showed that you can retain mass with S&S with heavier bells (32kg-48kg), but I was training 5-6 times a week. I had 17.5" arms before and after 6 months of S&S. I did see growth in my shoulders and lats as well.

It’s my opinion that most of us are still fooled by the fitness industry. The industry markets with a lot of articles and ads that feature chemically enhanced subjects to sell you supplements & protein powder. If you take an honest look at all the “natural” strength athletes, there’s not a huge difference in how much mass they accumulated (regardless of what strength implement they use). Even the true “natural” body builders, if you catch them out on the street on a rest day, they’re not that much bigger than other natural athletes or strength competitors that maintain a lower body fat percentage.

If you’re going to do S&S, you are better off just sticking with it until you meet simple standard. When you start adding in this or that, you just impede progress for your get-ups and swings. If you’re worried about losing mass, then crank up your practice by going 5 or 6 days a week and get to Simple faster. Then you can decide to keep going heavier or switch programs. If you can't wait, just jump ship now because there's no use watering down any kind of program.

Also, I quit buying into the whole protein propaganda that the industry pushes. Not saying that protein isn't important, but you don't need as much as what the industry leads you to believe. You would be better off learning how to manipulate the natural anabolic hormone in your body known as insulin to get the amount and type of mass you want through certain foods and diet timing.

JMO, Good Luck!
your post makes me think that I should take my measurements as a sort of barometer for how I’m doing with things instead of just guessing if I’m gaining muscle or not. I’m losing significant weight fast but slowly getting stronger. At a certain point it’s hard to tell if gaining muscle or just losing fat is what’s making me look different. I know for sure my arms look all day like they did when I would make a muscle 4 months ago. Haha. I also wonder how I’ll do if I keep losing fat at this rate. My recovery seems good. Sleep is way better and I’m definitely eating enough protein/calories now to not cannibalize my existing muscle. Mobility/longer Warmups in the morning definitely helping with my “power” issues.

your post makes me think that I should take my measurements as a sort of barometer for how I’m doing with things instead of just guessing if I’m gaining muscle or not. I’m losing significant weight fast but slowly getting stronger. At a certain point it’s hard to tell if gaining muscle or just losing fat is what’s making me look different. I know for sure my arms look all day like they did when I would make a muscle 4 months ago. Haha. I also wonder how I’ll do if I keep losing fat at this rate. My recovery seems good. Sleep is way better and I’m definitely eating enough protein/calories now to not cannibalize my existing muscle. Mobility/longer Warmups in the morning definitely helping with my “power” issues.
My opinion is that the catabolization of muscle during fat reduction is over exaggerated by the industry to get you to buy more supplements and protein powder. The big thing while cutting fat is to keep training the muscles enough to let the body know that it needs to keep that muscle.

It might also be worth to note that when I did S&S, I kept in the 3X5 sets of goblet squats. And I used the same size bell as my S&S working weights. People always want to downgrade goblet squats as merely a warm up, but I think holding a 48kg bell out in front of my chest for sets lasting of 20 seconds or more kept my biceps in the game.

As others have said, I would stick to just S+S for now. Once you get into simple range it will definitely pack some lean muscle onto shoulders, back, and forearms. No, you won't have huge arms and legs, but because (for me at least) it also stripped off some bodyfat I definitely finished it looking pretty good.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom