all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S, just met the Simple goal exactly one year later. Final Review

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BoBandy69

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey everyone,

So after starting S&S on sep 1 2014, I met the Simple goal this afternoon for the first time, exactly one year later. I have felt like I could meet the simple goal for about a month now but have been patient and waited until I was 100% sure I could do it without pushing myself too hard. I felt totally under control and stable meeting the simple goal this afternoon. I have come up against many different obstacles over the last year, and I have one big tip for overcoming some of them that I want to share. First of all, I must say that I throughly enjoyed S&S, I have a calisthenics background and this is my first weight program and I couldn't recommend it more. This is my final review from a skinny/lanky guy who finally figured out how to own the 32.

Conditioning:
I have noticed a lot of improvement in my conditioning and heart rate in short burst efforts. I live on the fourth story of an apartment building and running up 4 flights of stairs used to almost kill me, but now I can do it without needing to breathe through my mouth at all. My heart rate returns to normal after exerting myself SO MUCH faster than when I began a year ago. The most noticeable change came when I started working exclusively with the 32 on swings.

Strength:
The most noticeable increases in strength have been in my grip strength and my shoulders which isn't surprising. I feel so much more secure when moving under load thanks to the get-ups, I helped my girlfriend move recently and I was able to carry awkward furniture up three flights of stairs and keep my body tight and totally knit together, without any leaks in the tension. When I tested my previous pull-up numbers they fell from 16 to 12, and my dips fell from 20 to 15, but considering I hardly did either of them at all over the last year I think that is very good, and I believe that I could easily get the numbers back up if I focused on those exercises.

Body Composition:
I have always been a very lean guy and unable to put on any weight. I started S&S at 142lbs at 5' 10" and weighed myself today and now weigh 150lbs. I would honestly say that it is probably 50-50 fat/muscle gain. My shoulders feel/look bigger, my forearms are definitely bigger, my legs are bigger, and the biggest gains were definitely in my glutes, which changed significantly. My chest got a tiny bit smaller, as did my lats, but it's so subtle that I don't think anyone would ever notice except for me.

My most significant obstacle came once I began working with the 32. I weighed 142lbs all the way up until I started working with the 32kg about eight months into the program and no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the 32 to feel under control in either exercise. I felt like it was just too much weight for someone as skinny as me to "own." What was holding me back was that I was too afraid of gaining any fat, I kept track of everything I ate, tried to stay under 2,400 calories/day, and ate very clean all the time. Finally my progress started going backwards and the 32 got harder with each session, and at that point I decided to just listen to my body and eat what/when I wanted. I ate like a machine for months, eating everything in sight (easily topping 3,000 calories on many days) and gained 8lbs, which for someone who struggles putting on weight like me was amazing. Not fearing food and giving my body the energy it needed kept my progress going, and I have had steady increases in strength and conditioning over the last 2 months, culminating in me meeting the simple goal without pushing myself very hard at all. So anyone who is skinny and struggling with the 32, try eating more and be patient, it took me an entire year to meet the goal but it was well worth it!

Awesome results, David! I remember hitting the simple goal as well, and it felt really good.

I particularly like how you address changes in body composition. When I started with kettlebells (long before S and S) I was at a similar level of leanness as you. It took a long time of slow, steady progress with the strength, alongside a shifting mindset about food, to put on a little muscle. And now I'm very happy I have it.

I'm curious, now that you've met this goal, what are your plans for the future?

Great report! I like what you describe about feeling secure under load while carrying awkward heavy stuff. That's one of my favorite effects.

Thanks everyone, and Brian, I'm not entirely sure what my plans are for my next program. RoP would be the natural choice but I have a recurring case of elbow tendinitis that gets really easily aggravated by pulls. Swings didn't bother me at all because your elbow doesn't bend but snatches make it flare up quickly. I may try the 10,000 swing challenge or something along those lines. What would you recommend?

David,
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your experience and tips. Inspiration for those of us who are aspiring to reach the simple goal. A few questions if you don't mind.

May I know how old are you?
Did you train the 100 swings daily with plenty of rests in between, and testing yourself going all out to swing it wihin 5 minutes once in a while?
What weight did you start with for the swing, and at what stage did you think you owned the weight and 'upped' it?
What did you (if any) did you learn about the swing, in terms of form during your journey. The mindset, form, explosiveness etc. of the swing you are performing now must be a whole lot different than when you started out.

Hi David,

There's lots of good programs out there, and I'm by no means an expert on them. I do, however, think moving to ROP is a nice thing. I think I'm biased here. It's my favorite program. It's basically the first one I started with.

If you did want to go that route, I think might be OK in terms of your elbow. If it is only bothered by snatches, I would just skip those. They are a very small part of the program, and you could do swings on that day instead. Or, you could just focus on practicing the snatch. It's possible some technique stuff might allow you to do it without bothering your elbow. I also think it's possible the new strength you've got in your grip and back could allow you to snatch with no problems.

Of course, you could do just as well moving to a bodyweight program (sounds like you've done a lot of that in the past) or try out a barbell program (a great option if you're looking for more muscle). So, I guess a lot will depend on your goals. And I'm curious to hear what other people have to suggest.

Great job, David!

Please do me a favor and review S&S on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Simple-Sinister-Pavel-Tsatsouline-ebook/dp/B00GF2HP9G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

If snatches give you trouble, you can continue S&S swings, do ROP presses and a few S&S get-ups on variety days.

David,

I 2nd, Abdul's questions, especially: what was the your average rest time between swing sets, and how did you manage to progress down to 20s:10s work rest at each load?

Thanks everyone. To answer your questions, I'm 25 years old, I trained about 5 times a week with the 16 and 24. I ended up training 3-4 times a week with the 32 because it was more taxing on my body. Honestly, I think being super patient was the best way for me to own a weight. I spent at least 3-4 months with each weight. I would take as much rest as I needed between sets most of the time, which would sometimes be like 4-5 minutes. I would push myself a little bit like once a week and only if I had slept well the night before and felt very fresh. Taking as many weeks/months as it took to make progress helped so much, rather than trying to push myself before I felt ready. And as I said in my OP, eating everything in sight helped a lot once I got to the 32

BoBandy, thanks for the great writeup. As another trainee with a slender build, 6'1" and 155 lbs, I was very interested in your comments about eating and how keeping an eye on your calorie intake actually hurt your training. I just started S&S a few weeks ago and will have to keep what you said in mind. I actually went down to 150 after the first few weeks and will probably going to go on your eat whatever/whenever diet so as to provide enough fuel. I'm definitely not looking to lose weight on this program and was hoping for some bulking up. Looks like I'll have to add calories for that to happen. I've read that whole chocolate milk is a great muscle builder and recovery drink and have used it to add calories in the past.

Great description of your year on S&S! Thanks again.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom