all posts post new thread

S&S+, Judo, Kendo, Historical & Modern Fencing, Walking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
What do you think about when you think about them?
I think that everything has it's own spirit or god. Trees has own spirit, rocks has own too etc. Estonia has still over 900 known sacred places (big rocks etc.)

I think that it's cool. For example I think of Norse god Frey and Finn god Pellonpekko when I brew sahti or beer. To give a good batch.

Sacrificial rituals were harmless in the past. You sacrificed an animal, but you ate it afterwards. It's known that some slaves were killed during that time too, but so did crusaders kill people.

I think that everything has it's own spirit or god. Trees has own spirit, rocks has own too etc. Estonia has still over 900 known sacred places (big rocks etc.)

I think that it's cool. For example I think of Norse god Frey and Finn god Pellonpekko when I brew sahti or beer. To give a good batch.

Sacrificial rituals were harmless in the past. You sacrificed an animal, but you ate it afterwards. It's known that some slaves were killed during that time too, but so did crusaders kill people.
I'm with you. I like the Old Religion, except for the human sacrifice. All religions evolve. Charlemagne had 4500 Saxons beheaded in 775 to impose Christianity on them.
I find it amazing that I have been reading about the Norse religion in books for the past few months and then here, all of a sudden on a weight lifting site I find that it's still a very real living thing! WOW!

I'm with you. I like the Old Religion, except for the human sacrifice. All religions evolve. Charlemagne had 4500 Saxons beheaded in 775 to impose Christianity on them.
I find it amazing that I have been reading about the Norse religion in books for the past few months and then here, all of a sudden on a weight lifting site I find that it's still a very real living thing! WOW!
Tell me about it. I’m glad that you’re interested in your ancestors and history.

Tell me about it. I’m glad that you’re interested in your ancestors and history.
I'm reading a book called "The Poetic Edda" right now. It is clearly something that you don't just read once - it's a kind of Norse Pagan poetic sacred text. I'm planning on reading it many times. When I was younger I used to read one chapter of "The Penguin Book of Norse Myths" every day. I read sagas too. Egil's Saga in particular had a big effect on me.

I'm reading a book called "The Poetic Edda" right now. It is clearly something that you don't just read once - it's a kind of Norse Pagan poetic sacred text. I'm planning on reading it many times. When I was younger I used to read one chapter of "The Penguin Book of Norse Myths" every day. I read sagas too. Egil's Saga in particular had a big effect on me.
Those are good. If you want to read Finnish traditional poems, then try Kalevala. It’s translated in English too. Poorly though according to J.R.R. Tolkien. It’s explained in his book The Story of Kullervo. It’s his view of that story in Kalevala. Tolkien was a huge Kalevala fan and even tried to read it in Finnish. Many of his tales owes to Kalevala.

Those are good. If you want to read Finnish traditional poems, then try Kalevala. It’s translated in English too. Poorly though according to J.R.R. Tolkien. It’s explained in his book The Story of Kullervo. It’s his view of that story in Kalevala. Tolkien was a huge Kalevala fan and even tried to read it in Finnish. Many of his tales owes to Kalevala.
Yes, I'll do that. I was aware that Tolkien held it in high esteem. Tolkien is definitely writing in the tradition of Kalavela, the Edda, Beowulf etc...

Beowulf is very meaningful to me too. It preserves the old Norse culture of my English forbears. There are Finns in the story.

I have to read it. I know the story and I’m interested about it.
It was written about 600 years before the Norse sagas and is the longest, best big story and poem from the Norse Iron Age. Unlike the sagas, it was actually written during the Late Iron - Early Viking Age. It gives therefore a perfectly authentic window on the culture of the Norse peoples at the time. It's quite long and detailed, and basically a dream come true for people like me who want to time travel back to the Iron Age for a visit.

That’s true. Beowulf is pretty old. It was one of the Tolkien’s favourites too.
Beowulf mostly talks about blood feuds, which get pretty complicated, but it's a pretty realistic depiction of life at the time and it has a lot of description. It's excellent.

I heard that Tolkien wrote prose version of Beowulf. I wonder if it’s ever been published. That would be interesting to read.

Didn't feel like committing to a full S&S session today, so I did a lot of single and double military presses with my 24kg kettlebells. The double presses are especially something good to maintain full-body strength.

I quite enjoyed doing S&S today (goblet squats and all) with the 24kg instead of with the 32 like usual. I added a lot of military presses with the 24 and some with the 32 before the S&S session. I don't usually do S&S with the 24, but I quite liked it. Cardio-wise it felt the same as with the 32 due to needing less recovery time between sets. I'm actually thinking of switching for a month or two from S&S Timeless Simple with the 32 done 3-4 times a week to doing S&S with the 24kg bell EVERY DAY but adding military presses before the workout. The S&S 2.0 book says that this kind of thing is the sort of thing that can get me to jump up from S&S with the 32 to S&S with the 40. In any case, I'm curious as to what this will do for me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom