all posts post new thread

S&S+, Judo, Kendo, Historical & Modern Fencing, Walking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think one of the main points of S&S is that it allows you to do other exercises in addition to it at another time of the day. This is where all the cool SFG and Bodyweight moves can come into play, per individual S&Ser's taste. I have four I like -
  • pullups,
  • warrior pushups,
  • pistols,
  • double presses.

Why would someone leave S&S for ROP? I've been noticing people getting excited about doing this. I prepped up for it by introducing one cycle of ROP before my S&S for a month; the end result - I progressed in my S&S faster, hahaha! I can't do heavy snatches, in fact I think very few people can, so I can't imagine giving up doing a routine with a 40kg weight to slink back down to a 24kg one. Also, I can't imagine how simple clean and snatches are better exercise than the Turkish Getup, which is the longest most difficult press you could possibly put yourself through, and the most dangerous to boot (but also the most FUN)!!!

Stopping the TGU means giving up strength-mobility in your workouts. I can't imagine giving that up; mind you I have a naturally weak lower back so I need that kind of training to keep myself healthy.

When I'll heal myself I'll start S&S again and I think it will be my daily routine for a long time :)
I love it, and it allows me to do other fun things on top of it as much or as little as I want to. In my case I do the Naked Warrior exercises, double presses, and pullups, at a different time of day. S&S changed my life a lot and made it so much more fun!

Ok, if I could give U more than just one "like" I would do that for what you have wrote. S&S is perfect program and I think everyone should do it daily (or few times in a week). It's very powerful :)

Ok, if I could give U more than just one "like" I would do that for what you have wrote. S&S is perfect program and I think everyone should do it daily (or few times in a week). It's very powerful :)
I picked up a christmas tree in one hand on the weekend and carried it up the stairs. This surprised the heck out of my parents and sister who always knew me as a weakling with a chronically injured lower back. Weakling no longer! Strong now!

Something us judo and combat athletes know is that strength-endurance is the most important kind of strength for our sports, because we have to keep exerting strength for a long time, not just for one single burst. S&S is an ideal, all round strength-endurance programme.

One of the most mystake I have ever made was when I stopped practice S&S and go into heavy kettlebell. This probably contribute to injury of my right hand.

It was 40kg for presses, 50kg in BP and I did few times snatch with 32kg with definitely wrong technique. What is more important, and I think it played huge role in devastating my wrist was trainig without rest or recovery days.

It was 40kg for presses, 50kg in BP and I did few times snatch with 32kg with definitely wrong technique. What is more important, and I think it played huge role in devastating my wrist was training without rest or recovery days.
I've hurt myself a few times lifting weights. Most recently in September after two months of only Naked Warrior I suddenly tried doing one armed 32kg swings again, and hurt my lower back. This is how I know that Naked Warrior does not keep the lower back strong at all (as the book says in fact.)

Regarding rest days, I've been too exhausted for the past two days to do my regular S&S workouts. Instead, I GTGd my other moves: double presses, pullups, warrior pushups. I'll most likely resume S&S today. I think that since the 40kg bell is now pretty heavy, my body is telling me to rest and recover more often than before. I certainly don't seem to have lost any muscle - two "light" days aren't going to hurt my progress any.

Hello,

I began to work my lower back with hard style sit ups and L-Sit. Then you can do a progression on plank (standard, SF, superman) and finally dragon flags.

It is important to work in 3 dimensions : when you do a plank for x seconds, a flag for x seconds (for instance).

These kind of moves allow you to feel your body a bit better than a bell (in my case).

1 year and a half ago I get injured on lats. I could not almost move on rotation during 3 weeks. Take your time to recover ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

I began to work my lower back with hard style sit ups and L-Sit. Then you can do a progression on plank (standard, SF, superman) and finally dragon flags.

It is important to work in 3 dimensions : when you do a plank for x seconds, a flag for x seconds (for instance).

These kind of moves allow you to feel your body a bit better than a bell (in my case).

1 year and a half ago I get injured on lats. I could not almost move on rotation during 3 weeks. Take your time to recover ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thank you. If I had known this I would have recovered faster.

Hello,

In some cases, very slow and smooth stretching + [self]massages are profitables as well.

This principle of agonist and antagonist is something I figured out a few month ago. It seems significant to me due to this injury. Indeed, in biomechanics it makes sense to always / often work in push and pull (eg: pull up / handstand ; push up / bench, front lever / back lever, etc...)

It will help you (at least I hope so and it helps me) to stabilize and protect your joints and skeleton.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Oh, you think so? Thanks!
It's good to read that you see nothing unsafe. That's very good news!
I could only do that stuff with a 16kg bell just 10 months ago. Now it's a 40kg. Strongfirst is amazing!

One frustration with being Canadian looking in on the USA is that we just don't have the population mass you do to support so many niche interest activities like kettlebell seminars etc. There are SFG trainers within driving distance however, albeit not in my city or in the neighbouring towns. This also is an apology for my verbosity on these forums. By bothering you guys over the past two months I was able to solve dozens of problems.

I feel you, @Kozushi... Although here in Italy kettlebells are really taking over. I don't know if the credit has to go to CrossFit, but I tell the Vicenza certifications are always quite full of people and they're quite frequent. I don't know and I don't mean to brag (about what, after all?), but if it is an information that is allowed to be given by general public, I would like to know from @Steve Freides if he can confirm my suspects that after the USA, Italy's got the highest number of SFG certified coaches. We have quite a few Iron Maidens and Beast Tamers too, plus one guy who does very well at TSCs. My coach himself would probably pass the Beast Tamer challenge if he trained for it: I've been telling him this for months now... It seems like he's training his pistols (press and weighted pull ups are way under control), so be prepared! ;) Don't know why guys like Zonin and Miss Vinante (which wrote this article My 1st National Powerlifting Competition and How I Trained for StrongFirst) aren't in the Forum... Will have to talk to Fabio about it on saturday!

You can train Karate completely alone and even in a small room. Of course it's much better with others at a dojo, but I always thought the point of Karate was that it's like the Naked Warrior programme - you can do it anywhere, anytime, with no equipment whatsoever.

In my case, I took a year of karate as a teenager, and then as an adult one summer of lessons. Then, on my own I learned 8 katas from Funakoshi's textbook (and he says that you can learn them from his book - so I took him at his word!) and did them everyday for a few years. I ended up switching over to kettlebells since I think the kettlebells are better if we're talking about overall health and strength and time-effectiveness of exercise, but Karate is other things too. I still do some Karate practice by myself from time to time to refresh my memory.

May I kindly ask you if this manual is available on on-line stores like Amazon, Sir? I'd be really, really interested in it. :)

I feel you, @Kozushi... Although here in Italy kettlebells are really taking over. I don't know if the credit has to go to CrossFit, but I tell the Vicenza certifications are always quite full of people and they're quite frequent. I don't know and I don't mean to brag (about what, after all?), but if it is an information that is allowed to be given by general public, I would like to know from @Steve Freides if he can confirm my suspects that after the USA, Italy's got the highest number of SFG certified coaches. We have quite a few Iron Maidens and Beast Tamers too, plus one guy who does very well at TSCs. My coach himself would probably pass the Beast Tamer challenge if he trained for it: I've been telling him this for months now... It seems like he's training his pistols (press and weighted pull ups are way under control), so be prepared! ;) Don't know why guys like Zonin and Miss Vinante (which wrote this article My 1st National Powerlifting Competition and How I Trained for StrongFirst) aren't in the Forum... Will have to talk to Fabio about it on saturday!

May I kindly ask you if this manual is available on on-line stores like Amazon, Sir? I'd be really, really interested in it. :)
Here is the Karate book (click!)

He does write that you can learn Karate completely alone with this book. I spent a few years with it and got a lot out of it. I used Karate movements in judo tournaments and while kickboxing to very good effect. I don't do it much anymore since while being strong and fit is important, hand to hand combat just isn't important in my life anymore.

Thank you, @Kozushi, that's awesome!

EDIT: My will is sooooo weak... I gues it's time to start practicing again... :D

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom