all posts post new thread

S&S+, Judo, Kendo, Historical & Modern Fencing, Walking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thank you, @Kozushi, that's awesome!

EDIT: My will is sooooo weak... I gues it's time to start practicing again... :D
My will isn't weak, I just don't have any special use for Karate in my life anymore. Having said that, I still train just a little from time to time.

I got back to my S&S with the 40kg after two days off. I was STRONGER THAN EVER! It's amazing how your body knows what to do! It told me to rest, and I did, and the results are spectacular! I am starting to really feel the bulkiness of my muscle on me, which actually feels a bit weird as I've never had so much muscle before in my life.

I meant that minutes after you (very kindly) linked me to the book, I already did put my order... Should come to me between Monday and Wednesday. :D Thanks again, @Kozushi!

I meant that minutes after you (very kindly) linked me to the book, I already did put my order... Should come to me between Monday and Wednesday. :D Thanks again, @Kozushi!
It's an excellent book. I learned the first 9 katas in the book and they were very interesting. I've spent 30 years doing martial arts and it's gotten to the point of "there is nothing new under the sun" which is why lifting weights has gotten so interesting for me as a replacement activity.

I got back to my S&S with the 40kg after two days off. I was STRONGER THAN EVER! It's amazing how your body knows what to do! It told me to rest, and I did, and the results are spectacular! I am starting to really feel the bulkiness of my muscle on me, which actually feels a bit weird as I've never had so much muscle before in my life.

It is an amazing piece of machinery, isn't it. If we can only learn to listen....

I'm finding that my progress feels smoother this last week or so that I've been taking extra rest days from S&S/Variety days due to the judo. Basically from 5-6 times per week down to 3-4 per week. We'll see if it continues.

I definitely need today off S&S. I might play with my new set of 32s though for a bit, but my whole body feels slightly achey everywhere. Doing S&S with the 40 puts the body under a lot of pressure and it will take a while before I can make it a truly daily activity at that weight. I know the book recommends lightening the weight when needed, but I'd rather just let my body fully relax and recouperate today. I may go for a small hike or something "light" however.

I've been feeling too exhausted from work to do my S&S routine for a few days now, but I've been GTGing C&P with the 32 and I'm feeling new muscles developing through my torso. I'm becoming pretty impressed with the C&P as a full body maintenance exercise. Evidently, it doesn't have the cardio-vascular intensity of the TGU or the swing but in terms of muscular development, it seems to be excellent. To compare, the C&P takes almost no effort and almost no time, yet yields excellent results. That's very cool. It's still kind of "sissy" to me compared with the S&S stuff. Effective, but not as effective. But, still effective all the same, and a bit different in what muscles it develops.

I sometimes feel muscles I didn't know I had with just S&S. So not surprised to see C&P do it too.

Did my S&S routine again after taking two days off (due to illness). I feel fantastic now!

I tried moving back down to 32 yesterday and the workout was too easy. It did perk me up but it just was too easy. I want excitement not mere "exercise". It was just too easy. I'll be patient with the workout at 40 and stick with doing the swings two handed for a little while longer until I start to do a set or two, and then more and more of the swings single handedly.

I tried moving back down to 32 yesterday and the workout was too easy.

Kozushi, I looked back at your video, and I have a couple of thoughts. Do you want some feedback?

Your swings can be a lot more "hardstyle" which will make them harder. Your body is not vertical at the top of the swing -- work on the vertical plank, whole body tight; a straight line. Then hold the plank -- you are losing the tension and going with the bell. On the upswing -- generate more power. Pavel M's article has some great tips for this! Check out the videos in the article. Also, here is a slow-mo video of me doing 32kg swings about a year ago, generating maximum power and tension. You can make them as hard as you want to...

Your get-up looks pretty good, but your time under tension is only about 20 seconds. Try to slow it down to about 30 seconds. It will be a bit more challenging.

Hope that helps. In my opinion, challenging yourself more with the 32kg is the right thing for you now...

Kozushi, I looked back at your video, and I have a couple of thoughts. Do you want some feedback?

Your swings can be a lot more "hardstyle" which will make them harder. Your body is not vertical at the top of the swing -- work on the vertical plank, whole body tight; a straight line. Then hold the plank -- you are losing the tension and going with the bell. On the upswing -- generate more power. Pavel M's article has some great tips for this! Check out the videos in the article. Also, here is a slow-mo video of me doing 32kg swings about a year ago, generating maximum power and tension. You can make them as hard as you want to...

Your get-up looks pretty good, but your time under tension is only about 20 seconds. Try to slow it down to about 30 seconds. It will be a bit more challenging.

Hope that helps. In my opinion, challenging yourself more with the 32kg is the right thing for you now...
Thank you for the advice. The videos are a bit old now and I'm a fair bit stronger now than then, which was one of the first times I picked up the 40. I'll do the routine harder with the 32 today and see how it feels. Thank you. I didn't know either of those fine points. There is so much information in the books that it's hard to remember it all.

By the way, where is that great park with pullup bars in it (in one of your videos)? You're lucky to have that kind of thing. I wish my city had those!

Good -- I am glad if it is helpful!

The outside pull-up bars are outside one of the three (!) wonderful gyms we have here at Keesler Air Force Base in MS. I am fortunate to not only have access, but free access to all of this... including a huge selection of kettlebells at one of the gyms.

Good -- I am glad if it is helpful!

The outside pull-up bars are outside one of the three (!) wonderful gyms we have here at Keesler Air Force Base in MS. I am fortunate to not only have access, but free access to all of this... including a huge selection of kettlebells at one of the gyms.
Yet another reminder of how far we lag behind you up here in Canada. In Korea this past summer not only did they have pullup bars everywhere at different heights, but also PUSHUP bars at different levels, which were great for Naked Warrior training, and to boot they had lots of other equipment including some bench press stations with free weights! Evidently they don't suffer from youth vandalism as is the case in Canada, so they can set all that stuff out there without it being destroyed by youths.

I'm very much liking doing S&S with the 32 rather than with the 40. It's easier to do, but I still definitely get a great workout and my heart pumps a lot. I think it is indeed critical to do the swings single handed - they tone up my midsection 100 times better than with double handed swings. I don't want to do 2 handed swings any more at all really. I don't see the point.

I've learned how important asymmetrical exercise is - I think it's one of the "secrets" of exercise.

So, secret of exercise I've learned #1: Load ONE side of your body with weight for your exercise, not both sides at the same time. This activates all kinds of secret hidden muscles right through your body and thereby develops what we could style "secret strength"!

So:

Secret #1: ASYMMETRICAL LOADING.

I was able to do two full sets of 10 single handed swings with the 40kg kettlebell today. That's great news for me!

Two handed swings are as weak compared with one handed swings as two arm pushups are compared with one arm pushups.

Did the entire S&S routine today with the 40kg bell, and all the swings single handedly, although in 20 sets of 5 instead of 10 sets of 10. I'm terrifically happy about this!

I'm starting to consider pullups as a daily addition to my working out, since they don't interfere with the S&S muscles, and I just simply like the strong feeling they give me let alone add a bit of hypertrophy to boot. Pavel seems to think highly of them, and I'll go with that cue and also think highly of them and do them.

Hello,

@Kozushi
I did a lot of pull ups, weighted or not, slow or fast.

If you go for weighted ones, on a daily basis, be careful on your joints, especially wrists and shoulders.

Some bdw PU, done very slowly but HS sound great. I do them on a frame 10s up, 10s down. Pretty efficient !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom