all posts post new thread

S&S+, Judo, Kendo, Historical & Modern Fencing, Walking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have the flu or something like it. Heart-pumping exercise is out of the question this week. I've done some doubles work with presses, front squats and carries. My shoulders have fully healed, which is a miracle.

Four nights of serious martial arts training is no joke. I need to find some way to happily continue with my kettlebelling along with my martial arts commitments, both for its own sake and to get better at my martial arts.

Serendipitously the new article on the double clean and press seems to fit the bill perfectly for a way to do minimalist kettlebelling that is worthwhile and will help my martial arts training.

Don't want to waste anyone's time putting this up as a main thread, but I've naturally gravitated towards doing single kettlebell clean and presses recently and I'm quite liking them. The clean part is a swing, even if it's not as big and powerful as a full and proper swing, and the press is unquestionably an excellent move for lots of reasons not the least of which is keeping the shoulders mobile and strong.
I've been having trouble doing proper S&S workouts because of living with my family about me - it's hard to just "disappear" and to not be interrupted in the way needed for S&S. Both swings and TGUs can be dangerous with kids potentially running into the room unannounced. However, the clean and press is a more compact move, and anyhow I like it. It seems to relate to kendo and judo too. It's also fun controlling the bell to the rack position, kind of like playing catch I guess! I'm using a 24kg now, but if I manage to bump it up to a 32kg kettlebell, I think that will be some major strength going on! I also have a suspicion this might start getting me ready for the snatch test for the SFG1 if the pandemic ever goes away! The clean and press is similar to the snatch, I think.

I've been getting a bit out of shape due to not being able to get to S&S so much due to going back physically to my workplace recently as we opened up a bit of our quarantine here in Ontario.

Hello,

@Kozushi
I am glad to see you back here !

I agree, C&P is kind of "safer" considering the surroundings. In terms of strength, this is impressive. I followed RoP with 24. In just a few sessions, I was able to do Timeless Simple day in day out.

A more "friendly" version which works well is to do 50 C&P per side, 3x per week (instead of heavy / medium / light day) to have the same training duration for each session, and also not getting "beatten up" but a high volume session.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Kozushi
I am glad to see you back here !

I agree, C&P is kind of "safer" considering the surroundings. In terms of strength, this is impressive. I followed RoP with 24. In just a few sessions, I was able to do Timeless Simple day in day out.

A more "friendly" version which works well is to do 50 C&P per side, 3x per week (instead of heavy / medium / light day) to have the same training duration for each session, and also not getting "beatten up" but a high volume session.

Kind regards,

Pet'
So Pet, please help me out here with this, since you are experienced with this.
I've been doing 5 sets of ladders (1,2,3) as described in RoP.
Are you using ladders, or sets of 5 or are you just trying to get up to 50 in any way possible?
I've noticed that training the C&P full out daily isn't really possible, so clearly 3 times a week seems sensible.

Hello,

If you follow RoP, below is a link with the rep / set frame (post #590):

This is not a "GPP" training program, contrary to S&S. This is a "peak program". Of course, there will be strength and conditioning gains, but they come to a very high price in terms of fatigue. If I remember well, you are quite advanced in Judo. IMO, you combining RoP "by the book" and 3 judo session a week is a lot, plus your job.

The weekly wave is something I do not like that much because it impairs proper recovery if you have other physical expenditures. Plus, in terms of schedule, this is harder to manage because some sessions are short, some other super long. It forces to have a well defined programming.

Are you using ladders, or sets of 5 or are you just trying to get up to 50 in any way possible?
I did 16 sets of 3, and 1 set of 2. I never went "all out". This is almost the contrary. I wanted it to be as smooth as possible, with nasal breathing only. I practiced very aerobically. That way, this is not taxing (even if it eventually is 150 presses a week, and RoP is 155). The goal was to find a smooth pace: not too slow, but not too fast, just smooth.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

If you follow RoP, below is a link with the rep / set frame (post #590):

This is not a "GPP" training program, contrary to S&S. This is a "peak program". Of course, there will be strength and conditioning gains, but they come to a very high price in terms of fatigue. If I remember well, you are quite advanced in Judo. IMO, you combining RoP "by the book" and 3 judo session a week is a lot, plus your job.

The weekly wave is something I do not like that much because it impairs proper recovery if you have other physical expenditures. Plus, in terms of schedule, this is harder to manage because some sessions are short, some other super long. It forces to have a well defined programming.

I did 16 sets of 3, and 1 set of 2. I never went "all out". This is almost the contrary. I wanted it to be as smooth as possible, with nasal breathing only. I practiced very aerobically. That way, this is not taxing (even if it eventually is 150 presses a week, and RoP is 155). The goal was to find a smooth pace: not too slow, but not too fast, just smooth.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Well, because of quarantine I have no judo, no kendo, nothing. The kettlebell has again become my "dojo" in an ironic and cruel twist (as this used to be the name of my training log here when I first started!)
Thank you for letting me know it's sets of constant 3s until you hit 50. That is informative.
What do you think of doing ladders? Are they less effective for "peak" gyreviks?

Hello,

What do you think of doing ladders? Are they less effective for "peak" gyreviks?
Ladders are very good to get a huge training volume in a fairly short amount of time. So, from this standpoint, multiple ladders can be hard to recover from.

I like using them from time to time, for a "cycle". Usually, about 6 weeks.

Otherwise, if I want to build both a strength and aerobic base, I prefer straight sets because efforts always have the same duration, and so do the rest. Indeed, when you do a ladder, a set of 1 will necessarily require less rest than a set of 5. To make a comparision, the longer sets of the ladder training are some sort of "sprint" (HR goes up) while shorter sets are the cruising speed.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm moving away from structure in my regular kettlebell training sessions. I'm getting more into training certain moves but with unspecific volume.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom