all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&s off days?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mmabjj

Level 4 Valued Member
Hey i do S&s every other day. I use the pitbull for the Swings and 44 jg for the get ups. What do you recommend to do on the off days? Some skipping and heavy bag, running?

Some aerobic activity is fine provided it doesn't take away from your S&S workouts. Some people even just add walking to S&S. Or you could do some mobility\flexibility exercises and some walking, skipping or jogging. It depends on your goals as well ie is S&S more important than the "off days"? [it sounds like S&S is more important and so recovery on the off days means they should be easy workouts ie gentle aerobics ie LISS (low-intensity, steady-state)].

For me, in my limited experience, I enjoy LISS and mobility during my off days. Aerobics probably should be done in Zones 1-2, which you can approximate by either nose breathing while you run or being able to hold a conversation while you run. I’m a fan of footborn aerobics (running, walking, rucking, etc), but there’s also something to be said for bicycling - its minimal impact compared to the repetitive impact forces of each stride during a run, generally means less chance of soreness and easier recovery for the same aerobic intensity. Swimming is also awesome for off day recovery workouts.

Lastly, I’d imagine you can do a few easy lifts like easy sets of pull-ups on off days, but I have less experience with that.

Hey i do S&s every other day. I use the pitbull for the Swings and 44 jg for the get ups. What do you recommend to do on the off days? Some skipping and heavy bag, running?
I second the ideas by @oab and @Georgiaoutdoors
With more strength training you would get diminishing results. Easy aerobic work (Zone 1 and 2) would complement it well, also making the timed tests easier. Running or cycling are good options. Rowing will give you a different stimulus for your pulling muscles.

Spending time on movement patterns is time well spend, too.

SecondWind breathing exercises might be a good addition. Relaxation and meditation, too.

Or just... resting and reading good books. Tending the garden.

Good recommendations. Key is always the type of foundation you wish to build. You can’t go wrong with LISS. Over time, it can enhance your recovery between swings and recovery from session to session, provided that you really do keep it LISS. Using an If you have a heart monitor, keep your heart rate in Z2. If you don’t just go by your breathing. If you’re jogging, you should be able to carry on a conversation or speak in sentences. If you’re new to this start slow and low volume and build your way up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom